Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

[voice=Mike Myers]"I... think... I'm gonna... hurl..."[/voice]
Actually, I once read an article suggesting a good solid hardwood walking-stick as ideal for self-defense in "victim disarmament/criminal-empowerment zones"...

I'm already looking for something suitable--is walnut good, or should I hold out for something like ironwood?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Remember that blackthorn (a wood of choice for many traditional stick makers) is a member of the cherry family (prunus spinosa). NOt all cherry wood is that resilient, but I'm sure it wouldn't let you down under normal use.

Alan

Blackhorse said:
I just thought of something. I pruned out two pretty big flowering plum trees about two weeks ago. I always save limbs of any girth for garden construction, stakes, etc. So...I guess I must have about 60 - 70 pretty nice walking sticks out there...rustic...but nice. Plum is a lot like Cherry, once dry it is pretty stiff and not prone to breakage. I'll have look through my stacks and see what might suit the purpose.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
DSC_5826.jpg

With the exception of the one on the right which a buddy of mine picked up in Afghanistan last year, the rest are from Fashionable Canes including this one. (It was a gift from my mother which, I think explains a lot).

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I like this companys' work.
Two nice Derby sticks (left and fourth from the left) and a fine English stick (third left).

I've just finished a stick with a brass cap containing a compass that is very like the one second from the left.

I love the Afghan stick. I've seen these in Northern Pakistan, but I didn't take the opportunity to bring one back.

I'm becoming curious about making a bull stick...

Alan

RockBottom said:
DSC_5826.jpg

With the exception of the one on the right which a buddy of mine picked up in Afghanistan last year, the rest are from Fashionable Canes including this one. (It was a gift from my mother which, I think explains a lot).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Linseed oil-soaked rattan is the choice I always heard of for that, Diamondback. I think Cold Steel sells one, or they used to.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Canes lend class

By necessity, I use a cane. Since I started wearing vintage, I have expanded my cane wardrobe beyond the usual grey medical looking sticks. When I learn to post attachments, I'll show some of them. Last summer, I was at a gallery opening wearing a forties suit, seamed hose and shoes like those in my avatar. I was using a ivory handled cane. A younger fashion diva gushed over my sense of style and how my choice of shoes and cane were cutting edge. I may have disappointed her when I said my choice of shoes and my cane are more the result of a disability than anything else. She said that I still looked elegant and that if she ever needed a cane she hoped she could do it with class.

freebird

Practically Family
Lovely Leah said:
By necessity, I use a cane. Since I started wearing vintage, I have expanded my cane wardrobe beyond the usual grey medical looking sticks. When I learn to post attachments, I'll show some of them. Last summer, I was at a gallery opening wearing a forties suit, seamed hose and shoes like those in my avatar. I was using a ivory handled cane. A younger fashion diva gushed over my sense of style and how my choice of shoes and cane were cutting edge. I may have disappointed her when I said my choice of shoes and my cane are more the result of a disability than anything else. She said that I still looked elegant and that if she ever needed a cane she hoped she could do it with class.

Medical necessity bites, doesn't it? I too have to use a cane. I have a few that I really like, one was handmade by my Uncle from a tree in my Aunt's yard, another is a Irish Blackthorne and the third is the oldest, Dad picked it up at auction in the early 60's. It is from Mexico, and has a snake carved around it.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Nice coincidence, this thread. Just last week I bought an ash thumb stick - a walking stick with a v shape for the thumb - in Lewes (a market town in the Sussex Downs for those elsewhere).

And I was at James Smith & Co yesterday, asking about walking sticks and walking stick umbrellas. I'm going there on payday to order one of the latter - I'm not sure which wood yet - with cotton fabric rather than a man-made one. It'll take 3 months to arrive, so I'm hoping for fine walking weather until then.

I, too, am starting to need a stick/cane for more than swank.

Just out of curiosity, which wood would you choose?

freebird

Practically Family
My choice would be the polished oak, although I do love the grain in the elm as well. It would be a very dificult decision to make!

Highlander

A-List Customer
A Man (or Ladie's) stick says alot about he or she. I have a few, but my main stay is just the old brass ball or duck head on a stick..

Abyss

Familiar Face
I've kept an eye out for a good, inexpensive walking stick, one that isn't garish, kitsch, or potentially illegal (foot and a half blade inside of it, anyone?). I've also been hindered by my funds; I am unable to purchase anything online. Add in to the equation that I want the walking stick to be able to be used reliably in self defense, and, well, I have a higher chance of acing my economics final this semester :p

Yet another thing to drool over...

(A walking stick umbrella is fine too)

Another note: Although I do not own a walking stick, I have been complimented on how I use them already! I was with a group of friends at a mall, inside of a children's store where there were animal head walking sticks. I jokingly pulled one out and started walking around the store with it. My female friends quickly pointed out how natural and how good I looked with the stick. I put it back, however, because it was more of a toy cane. I could tell that it would not last long.

Panache

A-List Customer
I have several walking sticks and hiking staves. My favorite I purchased at TJ Maxx. It was made in India of some dark stained hardwood with brass inlayed designs. it had a dreadful knob that I removed and replace with a deer antler corona. Here is the best picture I have available:

DSC04280.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone looked at...

Canemasters.com has canes that are both very well made and used as defensive weapons...plus dvd's on the subject...I've been thinking about getting one from them...it would help on those days the back/knees don't...and provide a weapon you can take to places that don't allow you to protect yourself....:D

And there's a link on how to measure yourself for a cane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner