Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Canes and walking sticks.

Who has one? How often is it used? I've been thinking about getting a cane purely for the style, but there are so many options out there. What does the forum use?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I have a couple, but only because they look nice and were cheap. Kept in an umbrella stand. In a few more years, my knees might hurt enough where I'll actually need to use a cane. In that case, I'll get a very sturdy hickory base with brass or silver handle.

I can't see myself using a walking stick as merely part of fashion. Seems a bit too ostentatious for my personal sensibilities. There are those that dress much more formally than myself and can make that look work for them, however.

shortbow

Practically Family
I make my own, mostly they're quite rustic. My two favourite approaches are crown stag for the handle, either as a knob or horizontally, and rawhide covered round stone knob with a Plains Indian war club aesthetic.

As to sword canes, I wouldn't want to pull one unless I was well educated in their use. Coming up with a blade in an altercation tends to escalate things real quick, and you better know what you're doing, as you're liable to be facing a firearm or well-studied brawler with a bad attitude.:eek:

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Thanks for merging into this thread; somehow it didn't come up in a serch for either term.

Shortbow; I tend to lean toward rustic. Do you have any pictures to show?

arthur

Suspended
But anyways more on topic,I would love to carry a walking stick (the one Larry Talbot carried in the wolf man always comes to mind).But it goes into that gray area of could I pull it off without looking to costume.

Warbaby

One Too Many
arthur said:
But anyways more on topic,I would love to carry a walking stick (the one Larry Talbot carried in the wolf man always comes to mind).But it goes into that gray area of could I pull it off without looking to costume.

Learning to carry a walking stick is like learning to wear a fedora - the first few times you'll feel conspicuous but persevere as if it's the most normal thing in the world and before long it will be. When it becomes a natural thing to you, it will look natural to others.

I have several walking sticks and canes, but the one I carry most often is an Irish Blackthorn. I wear Harris Tweed jackets a lot and the two seem quite natural together. BTW, a Blackthorn can also serve as a handy defensive weapon and is legal everywhere - even on planes (just be sure to limp a little when you walk past the security goons - not even they would be callous enough to take away a cripple's cane.).

As for the costume aspect, isn't everything we wear a costume? Whether it's a rock & roll t-shirt with black jeans, a bush jacket and a Indy fedora, or a vintage three-piece pinstripe suit, when we dress consciously for a look, a style, a visual identity that tells the world who we are, clothing becomes costume. At least that's my take on it. Non-costume is pure function - like wearing an arctic parka when you live in Alaska. Umm...that could be a whole 'nother thread...

I say go for the walking stick - give it a try for awhile and see if you get comfortable with it.

Rachael

A-List Customer
This brings to mind a theory that a dear friend of mine dreamt up in college. He mentions it often around me...

The theory stands that there is clothing in all of its variations, from jeans to skirts to suits to kilts etc. And then there are costumes, which one would wear only for fancy-dress parties or at ethnic festivals. Between the two catagories is what he refers to as the Fez Boundary, thus named because a Fez can be either daily wear or costume depending on where one lives.

In my opinion, a walking stick is near the Fez Boundary but not across it. On any busy street one can see others walking with a cane or other implement for assistance, or carrying an umbrella. A walking stick isn't too far off. Now, I would place a ladies' parasol on the other side of the Boundary, into the realm of costume. Maybe it's because the use of a parasol seems a bit longer ago.

But in any event, discussing which items fall where can be an amusing diversion. I personally vote for trucker hats to be relegated into the costume catagory.

shortbow

Practically Family
Keygrip, sorry old Bean, but I'm an all film and bullets kinda guy, the 'uter is my one bow to the moderne. If you just absolutely had to have some pics, I could shoot a couple and drop some prints in the Post.

As to sticks for defense from rabid dogs and such. I wish! This spring/summer I've seen over sixty bears, some of them grizzlies. Whilst I often carry a stick of some sort, it's not going to be much use agin Old Ephraim.

My Dad carried a cane for the last few years of his life, he carried it well, but it was not for defense. For that, he had his old 1911 under his jacket. But times being what they are, especially up here in Canada, a good stick would be a nice security blanket in the Big Smoke. Apparently, their are schools devoted to the use of the cane in social engagements.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Rachael said:
This brings to mind a theory that a dear friend of mine dreamt up in college. He mentions it often around me...

The theory stands that there is clothing in all of its variations, from jeans to skirts to suits to kilts etc. And then there are costumes, which one would wear only for fancy-dress parties or at ethnic festivals. Between the two catagories is what he refers to as the Fez Boundary, thus named because a Fez can be either daily wear or costume depending on where one lives.

I love the concept (as well as the term) Fez Boundary. There is, of course, a degree of flexibility to it, depending on who and where you are, but it works well as a way to categorize the costuminess of various articles of clothing and accessories. For example, I would consider my Port McNeil Old-Timers Hockey Team jacket to be costume (actually part of my native Canadian disguise), but if I were actually Canadian and on the team, it wouldn't be. Pince-nez glasses would be on the near side (especially since I wear them regularly for reading glasses) and a monocle would be on the far side (unless you're German and have 'Count' or 'Baron' in front of your name).

How about starting a thread on the Fez Boundary? I think it would spark some interesting discussions.

Warbaby

One Too Many
shortbow said:
As to sticks for defense from rabid dogs and such. I wish! This spring/summer I've seen over sixty bears, some of them grizzlies. Whilst I often carry a stick of some sort, it's not going to be much use agin Old Ephraim.

My Dad carried a cane for the last few years of his life, he carried it well, but it was not for defense. For that, he had his old 1911 under his jacket. But times being what they are, especially up here in Canada, a good stick would be a nice security blanket in the Big Smoke. Apparently, their are schools devoted to the use of the cane in social engagements.

We have our share of bears here on the island, as well, but I'm not about to shake a stick at one either. Of course, it's a moot point, since well-dressed gentlemen with walking sticks rarely venture into the habitat of bears - at least the wise ones don't, anyway.

As for self-defense, a loaded cane has great potential. I have an antique one - a slender, tapered wood shaft with a steel tip and a 1/4" spring steel rod running the length inside. I've never had occasion to use it for it's intended purpose, but I have no doubt of it's effectiveness, should the occasion arise. This is not one to take through airport security!

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Canes and Sticks as Fashion Accessories for Ladies

I know that canes were fashion accessories for gentlemen as late as the
1930s. Were they ever fashion accessories for ladies during the twenties or thirties or forties?

shortbow

Practically Family
Leah, to the best of my knowledge the use of canes by the fairer sex during your time reference was limited to those elderly ladies, grand dames and others who needed them for legitimate medical reasons.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Not elderly or a grand dame

shortbow said:
Leah, to the best of my knowledge the use of canes by the fairer sex during your time reference was limited to those elderly ladies, grand dames and others who needed them for legitimate medical reasons.

Shortbow,

Since, I am still far from being an elderly lady and will never be accused of being a grand dame, I'll just have to reconcile to myself that my medical use of a cane is part of "my own unique vintage style"

Josephine

One Too Many
Perhaps we could help bring back LeCanne, or Canne De Combat to the Olympics.

LeCanne appeared in the 1924 Olympics, but was never brought back, presumably because watching two guys bash each other with sticks while jumping around like freaking Neo from the Matrix caused spectators back then to ... drop their monocles. The sport was developed back in the old timey days when men still carried canes, even if they had two perfectly good legs. It was like having a wallet chain, except that it didn't make you look like an idiot. Eventually someone figured out the cane could also be used to smack the heck out of muggers. Soon a new martial art was born and became awesome, despite being French. Today it's known as Canne De Combat and points are scored by smashing your opponent upside the head, torso or calf. ... Competitors wear padding similar to fencers and the cane itself is made out of light weight wood so the fighters can't knock each other out (apparently that used to be a real problem). Unlike fencing, where the competitors are restricted to stepping back and forth on a narrow mat, Canne fighters run around the ring like the freaking Tasmanian Devil. And while it already looks like a freaking ninja video game, there are some events that up the ante by equipping each fighter with two canes. By next year we expect them to add a cage to the ring and glue broken glass to the canes.

From Cracked.com. The article has 5 other "Insane Sports That Could Be in the Next Olympics". NSFW, language. :D

The Wiki article on Canne de Combat, in case you wanted to know more.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Question on the Fez Boundary: what if it's something you wear every day, but is still unusual for your area, such as my WWII-khaki-inspired look? Am I in a gray area, or would this be considered "costume", or just "minor eccentricity"?

I think that would depend on what the khaki is and whether you end up looking like the hunter from Jumanji. A striking look, but not what you could call low-key.

And yes, a pith helmet of ANY style is over that line.* lol

Topic? Earlier this year I did serious trauma to my foot, with real serious limping, (I can't even tell this board what my friends called it) and I was thinking if it stuck around much longer I would totally console myself with a sword cane. Just because.

Of course with my sense of direction, one of those walking sticks with a compass in the top might be a better investment. :eek:

*I'd wear a pith helmet, actually. I almost bought one last month. But yeah, knowingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav