Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

TAutry

New in Town
I'd like to own a "traditional" Blackthorn walking stick, but I need something more supportive than the "knob" type handle commonly associated with them so I think one of these might be finding it's way to my house soon. :D

Thanks for the link in your post. I've begun to need balance help more and more lately. I just placed my order for the Derby handle Blackthorn. I look forward to receiving it.

Thanks for the link in your post...
Zombie, thanks also from here for that link...
You're very welcome! I'm very pleased with the one I received, and was surprised by how light in weight it is. Also, with the blackthorn shaft being slightly larger in diameter than my other canes, the Derby handle is a bit wider and a bit more comfortable as well.

TAutry

New in Town
Got my new Irish Blackthorn today. (Thanks for the link Zombie!) It arrived just in time for me to take it to work. The new handle is a big improvement over the knob. I think it will like it very much.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A guy at my local flea-market has had one of these telescope-sticks on sale at his stall for YEARS and nobody has ever bought it:

138258_H08_45_dv1.jpg

Today I decided to bite the bullet and bought it :)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Here's a recent find from the op shop, chrome handle, wooden staff and I think a brass ferrule although it comes with a rubber stopper at the end

IMG_1739.JPG IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1743.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 487

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Whatever that is, it's probably very collectible. Like everything else from cast iron to tussy-mussies, there are many people who collect walking sticks. (If I were rich and famous, I'd collect them too)

Re activating this thread since it came up in another one. The only pic I have in file doesn't show much of the stick. I like crooked stix with lots of knots & diamonds, bark, etc. I cut some young hickory Willow & let it dry for a couple of yrs. When it was ready I sanded just the knots leaving the bark on, coated it with a satin urethane & fitted an antler handle. My plan was to core a cavity in the end of the antler & set either a piece of Malachite or red Jasper...just never got around to it.

I like this pic for the soft lighting.

IMG_1991.JPG

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Re activating this thread since it came up in another one. The only pic I have in file doesn't show much of the stick. I like crooked stix with lots of knots & diamonds, bark, etc. I cut some young hickory Willow & let it dry for a couple of yrs. When it was ready I sanded just the knots leaving the bark on, coated it with a satin urethane & fitted an antler handle. My plan was to core a cavity in the end of the antler & set either a piece of Malachite or red Jasper...just never got around to it.

I like this pic for the soft lighting.

View attachment 115360
Really nice grain, the curves in the stick accentuate it. The smooth curved handle looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Really nice grain, the curves in the stick accentuate it. The smooth curved handle looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks DD. I may have one or two sticks of hickory that I cut still drying up in the rafters but that's it. The problem in making your own stix is sourcing material if you don't cut your own & let it dry out sufficiently.

For a couple of yrs I've been collecting back straight pieces of antler tines to carve a chess set with, but don't have enough yet. It's hard to come by too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner