Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War Art

Chas

One Too Many
It would seem like a good idea for folks to post their recommendations for sites that have excellent examples of war art.

I have one that I particularly like, and I think it hasn't been well visited- a selection of paintings from the Japanese artist & IJN veteran Takeshi Yuki. Some of them are the best seascapes I've ever seen.

IJN War Art

MA-Fubiki.jpg

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
There was a PBS show on some years ago about combat artists of World War II.

http://www.pbs.org/theydrewfire/

I contacted one of them, Ed Reep, who is still alive and living in California. He wrote me back a lovely letter and it's one of my treasured items.

This one, by Howard Brodie, has always hit me square in the chest. It's a remarkable piece of art.

EDIT: ARGH! I can't get it to upload.

You can see it here:
http://www.pbs.org/theydrewfire/gallery/large/076.html

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
if you're in the market for a book or two, there's The Canvas of War about the Canadian war artist program in World Wars One and Two (actually the program is still running with artists producing images in Afghanistan).

CanvasofWar.jpg

In addition, one of the more notable war artists wrote a book about his wartime experiences in 1956 called Artist at War.
His name was Charles Comfort...here's one of his paintings (Canadian armour in Ortona):

Gooderson-01.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Okay, not exactly original war art, but I’ve done all these at re-enactment events (or from sketches made there).
thirty.jpg

cleansketch.jpg

cleaning.jpg

LIFEa.jpg

woodssepia.jpg

Doughboy.jpg

Convoy07.gif

I also sketched a lot from when I was active duty Army, I really should dig those drawings out someday…
MeHmuvee.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
The art works, which Hitler bought in Germany during the Second World War, had been moved to Czechoslovakia after it was occupied by the Nazis to prevent them being damaged by Allied attacks. On Monday, author Jiri Kuchar put seven of the paintings on display for reporters at the convent in Doksany in northern Czech Republic where he had identified them. Today, he said, they are probably worth about 50 million koruna ($2.7 million).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ers-art-collection-goes-on-show-in-Czech.html

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I think Eric Kennington, UK is a fantastic artist. Joined up in WWI - did great paintings there, later to be the "official war artist" of WWII.
He's not only a painter but also a sculpture. Unfortunately I had no luck finding one website dedicated to his works - but try a google.
You will not be disappointed. (Just ordered his book: "The Face of Courage" - with portraits of UK soldiers, airmen and sailors. Can't wait to see it!)

Just to give you an idea:

v0_master-1.jpg

4498387558_34452a8a8f.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good call Søren. I'm a great fan of Kennington. He painted one of my favourite war portraits, that of Marius Eriksen, the Norwegian Spitfire ace from 332 Sqn:

ME.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just like he did this one of one of my favorite pilots from The Battle of France and The Battle of Britain: Albert Gerald Lewis, 85 Squadron/249 Squadron:
lewisportrait001.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That is a goodie mate.

Actually Søren may I ask a favour? Can you let me know if the book you're getting has the Eriksen portrait in colour? It was painted in colour but the version I have and posted above is from Marius' autobiography and is only reproduced in black and white.

Takk og hils til Dorthe og familien!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You got it, ol boy.
I'll be happy to check it out for you, as soon as I get the book. And if it's in there, I'll mail you a scan/jpg.

The above of Lewis is in the book from 1942 "Drawing the RAF" - bought it second hand a year ago. Some great pieces of art - mostly charcoal and pencil - but a few oil portraits as well. Together with a short description of each pilot and airman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot