Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warportraits - Portraits of war

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's two great (IMHO) photos of Erich Topp, one of the leading U-boat aces of the war.

261.jpg

topp.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Col H. Franklin Gregory, the first U.S. Air Corps pilot to fly a helicopter.
Frank Gregory was instrumental in getting the U.S. Air Corps to adopt these noisy, vibrating, machines, that would go on to save countless lives.

FrankGregory.jpg

Col. H.F. Gregory with the Sikorsky XR-5 during W.W. II

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Some amazing pics chaps!

A couple from my own collection:

Wilmoth Thomas Purdy, RCAF killed august 1941 in Yorkshire. I look after his grave, his sister Lily had her ashes interred there last yr.

The second is of a Belgian soldier, I picked him up at a car boot sale and all it says on the back is 'I hope you will always remember your Belgian friend, Georges' I just think he's lovely!!!

Thirdly, my all time hero-Eugenisz Horbaczewski 315 Deblin Squadron. If I could meet with anyone and chat it would be him. Every one of his former sqdn colleagues I've ever met talks about him with such affection and respect. I'm going to France next yr and want to lay flowers on his grave at Creill.

purdy.jpg

GorgeousGeorge.jpg

horbaczewski1.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Kitty if you are interested I have some photos and info on "Horby" as well as a very nice profile of the Spit he was flying whilst commanding the Polish Fighting Team in Tunisia in the spring of 1943.

If you would like scans PM me and I will send this through to you.

Cheers,

Smithy.

desertweasel

New in Town
Some Canucks

Since my area of interest is RCAF aces of WWII, here's some steely-eyed Canucks (courtesy of AcesofWW2.com)

Here's a shot of Bob Middlemiss and George 'Screwball' Beurling while serving with 403 Squadron, RCAF.

Middlemiss_Beurling.jpg

'Buck' McNair admires his portrait painted by 411 RCAF artist Bob Hyndman, note the 'goldfish club' badge on McNair's battle dress pocket:

McNair_in_color.jpg

'Willie' McKnight flew wing for Douglas Bader in 242 Squadron.

bader_mcknight.jpg

A medical student before the war, McKnight adorned his aircraft with two grim reapers, one on each side of the cockpit:

bones.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
19 year old Pilot Officer Keith Gillman of No. 32 squadron. Missing over the Channel august 25 1940 - one of the first cassualties in Battle of Britain.

HU023106.jpg

The portrait was later used by the artist George Campbell - and for the cover of this famous book:

090091346002._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056506731_.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple more which I like, Anders "Andy" Lassen, a Danish member of the SAS who won the VC. The eyes tell it all

Anders%20Lassen2.gif

And the quintessential public perception of a Battle of Britain pilot, complete with "RAF moustache", Basil "Stapme" Stapleton (his biography published by Grub Street is a great read - I'm the proud owner of a copy signed by Stapme and two other BoB pilots)

spbb41.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for those Mark, some wonderful photos in there.

How's that new A-2? Getting lots of use I bet ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran