Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing a Nappa coat.

A-hardie

New in Town
Hey guys. So recently as a gift a family member have me a nappa leather trench coat. Gotta tell you, it's beautiful. However, much to my horror I got caught in the rain whilst wearing it. Thankfully the coat is ok, however I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on weatherproofing it in a way that will not damage it. Thanks everyone.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Leather is generally fine with rain. That's why it is used for outer garments. No jacket I ever soaked in rain or water ever became damaged.

That said -there are some people who report shrinkage if the garment is veg tanned (presumably a more fragile hide).

You can't waterproof nappa (I'm assuming by nappa you mean lamb?) you can treat it with dressing which is going to help a lot. For lamb I would use Lexol dressing but there re many views on the issue of dressings/conditioners.

A-hardie

New in Town
Leather is generally fine with rain. That's why it is used for outer garments. No jacket I ever soaked in rain or water ever became damaged.

That said -there are some people who report shrinkage if the garment is veg tanned (presumably a more fragile hide).

You can't waterproof nappa (I'm assuming by nappa you mean lamb?) you can treat it with dressing which is going to help a lot. For lamb I would use Lexol dressing but there re many views on the issue of dressings/conditioners.
I would assume sheepskin, yes, but I could not tell you with one hundred percent certainty. The labels inside just say nappa.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I use Chamberlain's leather milk no. 3 for my leather products. But the colour of the leather would darken with use. I think most leather dressings would inevitably darken the leather, save for black of course. If you are worried, try on an inconspicuous portion of your coat first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou