Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wave clips or pincurls for waist-length hair

Alchemist

New in Town
Hi,

I'm looking for some vintage hair styles for waist-length long hair. I really loves the wave clips but it can be only used on the head part of the hair? i don't want to tie my hair. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure how it will look if i pincurl all my hair.

I'm waiting your suggestions for wave-length tutorials, or some vintage pictures with very long hair styles.:)

Tatum

Practically Family
Hi Alchemist! I am sure that the more experienced ladies will jump on this with better suggestions, but have you tried rag rolling your hair? You will get a result very much like pincurls.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
When I was in beauty school, I had a client who got a pincurl set in her bra strap length hair. This is the longest hair I've ever set in pincurls. Her hair was then put up in a French twist and the curls arranged on the top of her head. Wave clips are generally only placed on the head, not the length of the hair shaft. I don't think they would be stable enough to dry in a wave on the length. A common long hairstyle was fingerwaves on the scalp, then the length in a bun at the base of the neck. This would not require setting the length at all.

Smuterella

One Too Many
^ that was just what was going to suggest. I think rag rolling is a gret idea too but because of the length its going to take a long time to dry and the weight will pull much of the curl out. I'd defnitely suggest updos as a great vintage option for you.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Hi there Alchemist!

I have waist-length hair too. First of all, never attempt a wet set unless you have about three days to sit around and let it dry! I always do dry sets; just spritz a little setting lotion (I use Lottabody, as do many others on here, I believe) onto each tendril before you coil it up, let it set overnight, and it should curl just as well as a wet set.

I always use rag curls; they really work well with long hair. I use about 25 strips (2" x 9"), though the number of strips you use will depend on how thick your hair is. You can use pin curls, and I do sometimes if I'm feeling lazy but still want some curl the next day. I never get really defined curls with pins, though, just soft waves. If you're going for true curls, rags should do the trick.

If you just wave-clamp the top, you can twist the rest of your hair into a chignon at the nape of your neck and give the illusion of a finger-waved bob (look up pictures of Ann Harding to see what I mean!).

As far as pictures, I'm not sure what eras you're into, but I love looking at pictures of 1910s and 20s actresses and show girls like Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish for inspiration. Here's a picture of Pickford from Amy Jeanne's flickr:
4487854271_1bd6ef6b4f.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]
Her hair's gorgeous! There are also lots of lovely ornate Edwardian braids and updos you can do if you do want to tie your hair back some days.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i used to get some beautiful waves by having my hair in a braid.
i also used to divide my hair in two, then divide each section into three - twirl each section tightly and then twist the 3 sections in the reverse direction (kind of like making rope - in fact, probably exactly like making rope) and secure with a band or tie and leave like that for a day or two to dry and then I would have ringlets.

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
I have tried that method from Long Hair Community and its really good, but dont underestamate the amount of fabric you need! I have curly hair and its waist length when its wet, i forgot that and only did fabric for my hair in the length it is when its dry...was definatly a 'duh' moment for me lol

Another thing to try are the pillow rollers. There meant to be good for long hair.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have worn my hair short for about 15 years now, but when I was a teenager and my hair was long, I used to wave it by putting it in braids. My hair is extremely, extremely thick. It has a lot of natural body and wave, but unfortunately when it was long, it was so heavy that it was pulled straight. My mom would divide my hair into several sections, and braid each one, securing the end with a band. Usually she did this after washing, when it was about 2/3 of the way dry. I'd let it sit for about a day or so and then take it out, and I'd have lovely waves. As an adult, I think I'd probably do this when hair was only slightly damp, and use a setting lotion (like Lottabody). I think you are going to have a tough time curling it, because many of the setting methods are geared toward shorter hair, and due to the sheer amount of hair you have, drying time will be an issue.

With hair your length, I really think I would experiment with some updos. The first thing that came to mind for me was Julia Ormond in Legends of the Fall - during the second half of the film, she wears her hair in a low chignon with lovely combs and some cute little side curls. Very striking.

2rqj7y9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy