Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wax Seals

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
A few days ago I got my first pack of 100% cotton paper which got me thinking about wax seals. I wouldn't use wax to seal an envelope I plan to mail, but for hand delivered letters, I think it would be a nice touch. I looked on eBay and there are several vintage or antique ones listed, so that is the route I will take. My question is; does anyone here ever use wax seals? I could use a bit of encouragement before taking the plunge.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Nope, but I have considered that it would be interesting to do if for an invitation to a party or the like.

If I had an actual family crest (in truth, very, very few surnames have legitimate coats of arms despite what those in the modern business of selling that stuff would lead you to believe) and a signet ring, it'd be hard to resist using it in that fashion once in a while.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I learned all about crests from the Bluemantle Pursuivant at the College of Arms. I was considering a Fleur De Lis seal, but I thought that since I am not a member of the French monarchy that it would be improper. I suppose that some things are just too old fashioned (even for people like us :eek: .) I'll just stick to the lick (well in my case, dampen with a paper towel) and seal envelopes

HarpPlayerGene said:
Nope, but I have considered that it would be interesting to do if for an invitation to a party or the like.

If I had an actual family crest (in truth, very, very few surnames have legitimate coats of arms despite what those in the modern business of selling that stuff would lead you to believe) and a signet ring, it'd be hard to resist using it in that fashion once in a while.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i have thought about it... but i'm not sure if you can use any wax or only the particular 'sealing' wax they sell in those 'seal kits'..cause that would be a pain to keep buying stuff

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
I use the crest on my signet ring to seal very personal, hand-delivered letters and cards. It is a very nice touch.

Make sure to use heavy bonded envelopes to avoid the transparency issue and use a good quality sealing wax. I typically use a dark red but have gold and silver waxes as well.

You are right not to use a heraldic image you are not entitled to, although the fleur de lis is a fairly common motif now. I don't think one would assume you were trying to pass yourself off as a member of French royalty (which is, of course, a non-existent institution now) if you used it to seal your letters. Other motifs you could use are initials, town or country insignia or devise your own.

miss_elise

Practically Family
actually... i had a description in a children's history book about how to make your own ring for making seals using a chocolate patty pan holder thing, a split pin and some plaster of paris... I always wanted to try that but never got around to it....

shortbow

Practically Family
I use them when I write a letter with a dip pen or a quill.

I use heavy linen paper and use no envelope. Instead, after lots of experimentation I learned how to fold the paper in the old way and seal it with the wax. I use my University ring which has a heraldic motif to mark the seal. No problem sending them through the mail, works great.

Written with my home-made walnut hull ink, pretty well nails 1850 backwards vibe I figure.:D

TheLimey

Familiar Face
I use a wax seal on all of my handwriten personel correspondance.
I have a nice stamp with a K (first letter of my name) on it. I feel it adds to the letter making it something really special. Eventhough I admit that the practice is somewhat anachronistic so is the art of handwriting letters.....and that's why I love it :p

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
cufflinkmaniac said:
I wouldn't use wax to seal an envelope I plan to mail...

We sent out all our wedding invitations through the mail with wax seals, and more recently we mailed all our Christmas cards internationally with wax seals, so there's no problem. We do tend to use the adhesive on the envelope in addition to the wax.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
A number of years ago I used wax seals quite a bit with my correspondence. I must admit though, that very few of the seals sent through the traditional US Mail survived. I ended up just using them on hand delivered items.

Cheers,

Scott

LordBest

Practically Family
On the subject of the wax, the people who used to produce the sealing wax for the Bourbon Monarchs of France still produces sealing wax and sell it*, a French friend of mine brought me back some from a visit home some years ago. I have yet to use it. I do not know the name of the people who make the wax or if they have a website, so not overly helpful I'm afraid. But there you are.

*I find the claim dubious, I am sure the recipe died out sometime in the 20th century and had to be revived when the French government started using sealing wax again after WWII.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
we used wax seals on our wedding invitations. cheated and used the glue-gun style wax, as we had 300 or so invites to mail... we tried some the traditional way as well, works great, but was a bit slower for our needs then. they mailed just fine, and looked great!
i'm not a letter writer (i'm bad at keeping in touch in general...), but my husband is. i'd forgotten about our little seals, i should dig them out because i'm sure he'd love to use it on his letters.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Does anybody know how to get sealing wax off a ring once it has been used for sealing an envelope?
I have a Christopher Lee Dracula Ring,that my Niece Emma likes a lot,and my brother suggested sending her birthday cards etc using the dracula ring as a seal.I want to do that,but need to be sure it will not ruin the ring.here's a piccy of Emma wearing it.

5.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Keep it cool, let it cool off every few seals. Also, there's something you can get that you put on the seal which prevents wax from sticking, I'm not sure what it's called but you can probably get it where they sell wax and seals.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I was thinking, I could take my family crest kilt pin, and reverse it, "lost wax" method... Maybe I can make something that would work. I like the idea of wax seals also....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy