Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a fedora when it's windy

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Probably happened at least a half dozen times. .windy here in Pittsburgh. Retrieved them all, mostly straws but one felt went into and through a mud puddle... after it dried it brushed clean as new.

tommyK

One Too Many
I've had a hat blown off my head three times. Always able to retrieve them but it's been some close calls. The few times I've used the wind cord they didn't blow off to test their effectiveness. Always worried they'd rip right off, though.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
If it is windy enough to worry about losing a fedora, that's when I bust out an Irish cap or an 8 panel. Much less chance of those becoming airborne.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Just wear a snug hat and keep a hand free and you'll be fine! If you've got a real nice hat and it won't stay on your head in the wind, then carry it!
A snug wool fedora tends to fit better on the head in the wind than does a felt fedora!:cool:

Won't my head feel cold =P?

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Has anyone lost their hat in the wind?

I don't know that you need to worry too much about your Fed IV, as long as it fits right, you will learn to move your head into the wind. I've had some really strong skyscraper generated wind gusts hit me in my Feds and I've never had any trouble. Now my big brimmed Resistol in 20 to 30 mile an hour wind gusts makes me feel a little like the flying nun. I had to push it down further on my head and turn into the wind or otherwise hold onto it, but i think I wouldn't have had a problem with my Fed IVs. Of course, my XXLO noggin makes most of my hats fits a bit snug. Your results may vary. :) good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've caught it right as it's about to pop off more than a few times. Only once has it cartoonishly blown off my head and had me running down the block.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I lost a hat to the wind. Well...I was 8 years old, and it was 1960, but yeah. The wind blew it off my head and a car ran over it (yes, *somebody* needs a hug here). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner