Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wehrmacht Collection

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
^lol Well - it would be great to go with my medals. I had thought of getting a medal display box to put all my repro's in. I think the dagger would be the last thing for me...and strictly an ornamental item. Thankfully with my 'on board' impression - there isn't much required and I let the 'individualist' in me 'out' a bit...unlike with the dress uniform.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I have a whole page in my website regarding that as I did research through various books.

The Kretschmer biography isn't a good book in my opinion.

Out of the three: Kretschmer, Schepke and Prien - Schepke was noted to have stated anti-Semetic remarks but obviously that didn't prevent him from helping merchant sailors not matter what background they had.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Prien said:
I have a whole page in my website regarding that as I did research through various books.

The Kretschmer biography isn't a good book in my opinion.

Out of the three: Kretschmer, Schepke and Prien - Schepke was noted to have stated anti-Semetic remarks but obviously that didn't prevent him from helping merchant sailors not matter what background they had.
Good Point! And I keep forgetting but I'll upload the pictures soon hopefully just to keep the thread going..

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Prien said:
I had thought of getting a medal display box to put all my repro's in. QUOTE]

Please excuse my ignorance but why would you want to display repro medals ? What significance do they have ? In fact, why would anyone want to display anything repro at all ? The originals I can see are worth displaying - if your interests run to that sort of thing. But cheap (compared to the originals) repros, what's the point ?

I say this as a collector (not of Nazi things) rather than someone who likes to dress up or re-enact. ;)

Dave

filfoster

One Too Many
Repro respect

Dudleydoright said:
Prien said:
I had thought of getting a medal display box to put all my repro's in. QUOTE]

Please excuse my ignorance but why would you want to display repro medals ? What significance do they have ? In fact, why would anyone want to display anything repro at all ? The originals I can see are worth displaying - if your interests run to that sort of thing. But cheap (compared to the originals) repros, what's the point ?

I say this as a collector (not of Nazi things) rather than someone who likes to dress up or re-enact. ;)

Dave

Dave: Yours is certainly the majority viewpoint. But here is something to consider:
1. Many of us want to have things we cannot find in any condition, or in the condition we want: mint, or of a size to wear.
2. Many of us cannot afford a rare medal, dagger, uniform or hat, even if we could find one.
3. There is certain pleasure, admittedly alien to collectors of originals, in locating and/or creating a near perfect (very few copies are really perfect) replica of militaria.
4. There is a challenge finding the finest replica decorations, weapons, etc, and certainly a great challenge recreating the uniforms to the highest degree of accuracy. Try locating a complete set of French marshal's or MVSN general's buttons, original or repro. Try recreating Mussolini's MVSN Primo Caporale d'Honore shoulder boards or his ribbon display or finding a pair of epaulettes for Napoleon III's frockcoat. Try getting someone to tailor with museum accuracy Andrew Jackson's uniform worn at the Battle of New Orleans. It is exactly this desire to own our own example of something significant and rare, perhaps 'one of a kind', that attracts many of us to do this. And we make friends with people all over the world who also share this peculiar passion. It has been a sincere pleasure to meet and work with people all over the globe who have helped me put together some truly spectacular 'copies' as original collectors disdain, but I have them to touch and display, instead of unrequited yearnings.

So, certainly the acquisition of originals is the most widely shared pastime. But please, leave those of us who would rather enjoy something rare, albeit replica, that we cannot find or afford in the original, to our own inferior pleasures, OK?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Hi,,
Thanks for the considered and intelligent response.

I fully understand the deisre to have a quality repro of something that is either unobtainable or prohibitively expensive .

I just feel that if I had something on display to others' eyes that when they asked is it original, I would feel rather embarassed to say 'no' ...

I had a repro tarnjacke once upon a time. I got it to get a reasonable idea of the colouring and pattern of the material and how it would look in different lights and positions. Something i couldn't get from a museum piece behind a glass case.( Could never afford an original even if I could guarantee the genuineness of the article). BUT I would not have put it on display as it was a repro. Obviously wearing something like that for re-enactment purposes is plain sensible but to put it on a dummy, well, I don't know for myself.

Medals even more so as people will ask first if they are genuine, second if a member of the family earned them. If the answer to either is yes then i see a point. If the answer to both is no, then i personally don't. But I do fully endorse owning repros of anything.

Cheers,
Dave

filfoster

One Too Many
Repros

There is another aspect to creating really good uniform copies: You can hire them out! My Napoleon's Garde Chasseurs Colonel uniform appeared in a History Channel production and the Andrew Jackson uniform can be seen in the Natilonal Park Service film at the Battle of New Orleans historic site. I hope to hire many more out in future. But, they are still on display for myself and my friends when they are not 'on call'.

The medals have to be good as well or the impression will fall flat. These are often very hard to come by. A good St. Andrew breast star or Maria Theresa copy is very very hard to find! Even a Knight's Cross looks better in the expensive multi-piece construction. And Blue Max's come in so many quality variations.

kampkatz

Practically Family
A Blue Max repro was the best I could do many years ago, but friends who see it don't seem to mind that it is not the real thing. At least they get an idea of what the decoration looks like.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thanks Filfoster. :)

(I don't have direct access to the internet so can't answer anything right away.)

I'm not embarrassed to say that it is reproduction because so many are well made, and taking into account something like the U-Boat Badge with Diamonds...well, there were only 28 of those issued. lol

filfoster

One Too Many
U-Boat Badge with Diamonds

Prien said:
Thanks Filfoster. :)

(I don't have direct access to the internet so can't answer anything right away.)

I'm not embarrassed to say that it is reproduction because so many are well made, and taking into account something like the U-Boat Badge with Diamonds...well, there were only 28 of those issued. lol

A good copy is something to enjoy and be proud to show. Hats off to those lucky people who can find and afford the original things they want. We will enjoy the best copies we can manage.

PS: I have one of those replica U-Boat badges with diamonds too, made for a Doenitz uniform that I did not go ahead with. Had his ribbon bars made up also, and got the wide Admiral sleeve braid but alas, not gold wire-mylar instead. Maybe that project will happen someday. Can you imagine trying to find or afford the Grossadmiral's uniform?

filfoster

One Too Many
Copies

I may begin a thread in a different forum on this, which began with militaria but also includes many other things. I also, as do many others, enjoy trying to replicate the clothing of characters in popular movies. These are really worthwhile projects if you avoid the 'costumes' that are easily found and try for something that is really 'screen accurate'. Just as with military uniforms, most of us can't track down the original costumes used in the movies or TV shows and probably couldn't/wouldn't pay the prices such things demand.

Some things are easily found: Indy Magnoli for example, has the Bogart dinner jacket from Casablanca and many Dark Knight 'Joker' items, and the ubiquitous but wonderful Indiana Jones things. Several talented armor makers produce Ringwraith costumes. Baron's has a wide variety of movie and TV clothing. Horror films have a vast legion of amateurs who can make very fine replicas. You can find them on their various forums.

Almost any interesting movie 'hero' or villain can be copied, with patience and care (and a spouse who will not hurt you much for spending $ on this stuff).

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
^ I agree. I had an interesting time tracking down the costume designer for Das Boot as I wanted to obtain the foul weather gear. I can get by with my oilskin pants and sou'wester, but the jacket is something I'd need a historical reproduction of and not the more modern type that I have.

Unfortunately, all my searching and finally having gotten somewhere and then emailing them didn't get me any answers.

[huh]

filfoster

One Too Many
U-Boat leathers

Prien said:
^ I agree. I had an interesting time tracking down the costume designer for Das Boot as I wanted to obtain the foul weather gear. I can get by with my oilskin pants and sou'wester, but the jacket is something I'd need a historical reproduction of and not the more modern type that I have.

Unfortunately, all my searching and finally having gotten somewhere and then emailing them didn't get me any answers.

[huh]

You might give Scott Babcock at Traders of the Lost Surplus a try. He's kind of ADHD but he has never failed to get things made, given enough time and nagging. regalia@totls.com
www.totls.com
Scroll down to see these U boat leathers.
http://www.totls.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=44

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thanks, but I already have the leathers (which I'm in fact doubly happy to have as I use them in the winter). I was searching for the rubberized cloth foul weather coats...so far I have not found anyone who makes them.

Ronald

New in Town
A Blue Max repro was the best I could do many years ago, but friends who see it don't seem to mind that it is not the real thing. At least they get an idea of what the decoration looks like.
here's a picture of Erwin Rommel's original Pour Le Mérite ( Blue Max) at the Rommel Archives in Herrlingen, Germany.
SDC13542.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo