Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wehrmacht Collection

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
Let me first say I in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM support the ideals of the NSDAP or any Neo-Nazi screwballs!

That being said, here goes. My humble collection. All 100% original.

My display room, always a work in progress:

63b4dfec3e52__1279710064000.jpg

93e836c5fecd__1279710044000.jpg

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
M40 Double Decal!! SS ground dug from a bunker in Hungary.

a9ea515b63e4__1279710264000.jpg

The photo is of a friend of mine who is a vet of the SS. Wiking mountain division.

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
two SS single decal battlefield find M40 helmets along with a presentation cast-iron bust of the mad man himself that was given to me directly from the vet along with the sterling silver swastika cufflinks seen in this picture

39e238639cfe__1279712513000.jpg

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
WH M42 single decal helmet along with an M42 luft. single decal

Below can be seen a second class 1939 spange to the 1914 2nd class iron cross along with 1914 ribbon. Also, som soldbuchs and wehrpasses and an eastern front medal.

fdfb8766bc1f__1279712498000.jpg

Ill leave it at that for now, dont want to take over the thread.

I would love to see some other members collections!!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
That's a very nice collection! :eusa_clap I like the way you displayed it - it's not all cluttered together...the whole 'less is more' thing. It's kind of hard for me to get some original U-Boat stuff as far as uniforms and perhaps even medals are concerned (not just due to cost, but also availability).

I have original WWI U-Boat art from an article and am looking to buy a post-WWI U-Boat print (from a book that came out in the 1920's) to hang up on my wall.

Most of the original stuff I have is 'art' type stuff - 1940 U-Boat poster and 16 October, 1939 LIFE magazine showing U 35.

I like to try to find either WWI U-Boat art (preferably original or immediate post war) or pre-WWII to early WWII U-Boat art. I'm also very picky with what I am looking for, as I don't have a big apt. and don't want to make it look smaller with the walls filled up.

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
Thanks for the kind words gents! I've only been serious about collecting for about 6 years but have had an interest as far back as I can remember. I wish I had started at your age, Stetson!!

I would love to see some of the U-Boot art if you are ever so inclined to post some! That sounds fantastic!

doctor dan

New in Town
I collect mainly RAF, Viet NAm, some US WWII. and a lot of the Wild West. Just wanted to say fantastic.
You can see from the pictures posted why Gen. Patten said who had the best uniforms. Keep it up.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Re Chris Dillon: You're welcome :) Actually in a local antique shop I happened to come by a Kriegsmarine Affenjacke - but I am more interested in those weird odds and ends and strictly U-Boat (as far as I can go with it).

Some of these things are original, some repro, and some of my own doing...

This painting I did back in late 2004 when I first got into U-Boats. I did it on a nightstand top (non-antique). Got rid of the nightstand and kept the top. Recently 'restored' the painting just a few weeks ago:

001-3.jpg

Bull of Scapa Flow drawing I did using a template, and pen and ink:

Antiques002-1.jpg

Original 1940 U-Boat poster (eBay)

1940poster.jpg

Original 16 October, 1939 LIFE magazine cover showing U 35:

Antiques001.jpg

Reproduction WWI Imperial German Naval Officer's dagger:

Antiques002.jpg

Reproduction U-Boat Badge w/ Diamonds (cubic zirconias):

U-BoatBadgewDiamonds.jpg

Reproduction U-Boat Badge:

U-BoatBadge.jpg

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Reproduction Knight's Cross w/ Oakleaves:

100_0627.jpg

My repro. reefer jacket that I wear to WWII events. The ribbon bar on it is repro. and has the Iron Cross 1st class and 4 Year Service:

100_0623.jpg

The photos below of the framed artwork are of an original set of papers that comprise an article entitled "U-Boat Life" by Kapitanleutnant Georg-Gunther Freiherr von Forstner, with paintings done by Karl Bossenroth. There were some more paintings on the other side of some of the papers, so I had to choose which ones I liked the most. (WWI)

Antiques003.jpg

Antiques004.jpg

Antiques005.jpg

Antiques006.jpg

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
More of the original WWI art:

Antiques007.jpg

Original Deutscher Flotten Verein pendant:

002-1.jpg

Info on the organization below:

The association was an interest group formed on April 30th 1898 on the initiative of Admiral Alfred Von Tirpitz through the Imperial Naval Office (Reichsmarineampt) which he headed (1897-1916) with intention of supporting the Kaiserliche Marine. Specifically it was intended to develop proper pressure on the German parliament (Reichstag) to approve the fleet acts of 1898 and 1900 and the attendant expenses. The unification of Germany under Prussian leadership in 1871 was the defining point for the desire of German Nationalists to have a great world class navy. The newly created emperor, Wilhelm I as King of Prussia, was Head of State of the strongest State (Prussia) forming the new Empire. His Prussian Navy and what became the Navy of the North German Confederation in 1817 and now it became the German Imperial Navy. The Flottenverein was one of the largest government sponsored Imperial organizations in German history up to the ‘30’s. The members financially supported the efforts in behalf of that dream of a Navy for the Fatherland greater than Britain’s super fleet.

More on this from various sources:

From The Great Naval Game

It was instrumental in acting as a catalyst for 'self-mobilization', followed a dynamic of its own, and developed into populist pressure groups - a 'radical right' that increasingly acted against government intentions.

The popularization of the navy was not so much of a product of government manipulation, but rather an expression of the mobilization 'from below' via leagues (the British counterparts to the German) and Vereine.

Its role was two fold - promoters and participants. "They boosted the publicity for the naval theater by organizing trips to fleet reviews and ship launches. During fleet reviews, the leagues sold guides and programmes, which combined practical information with commentary in support of increases in naval expenditure."

"As Admiral von Koester, the Flottenverein's president, wrote to Tirpitz, launches of warships offered 'very good possibilities for the fostering and illustrating' of naval matters for the members of the league and the general public."

Yet - these leagues shouldn't be overestimated as their influence was limited - "out of the large number of pleasure steamers that attended the Kaiser's 1912 fleet review off Heligoland, only one had been chartered by the Flottenverein. It was, in a twist of irony, called Vorwarts."

"The subordinate role of the 'radical right' for the celebration of the navy becomes even more obvious when compared to the rich culture of civic and commerical pride that operated at the local level. The late nineteenth century saw the rise of local government, urban culture and commercial and industrial success both in Britain and Germany." This sort of dynamic civil society developed a distinct rhetoric and civic pride, "centering on liberal and voluntarist ideas." Places like Glasgow, Newcastle and Portsmouth - as well as Hamburg, Bremen and Kiel underwent a rapid industrial and commercial expansion. They were busy expressing this role mainly via public display and ritual. Because the pride of those places, as well as the prosperity, was dependent on shipbuilding, shipping, and trade - it wasn't surprising that they turned to naval celebrations for a way of self representation.

The key role of the local factor was well illustrated in the 1895 inauguration of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal. "The Hamburg Senate decided early on that this should be a celebration of Hamburg as much as an imperial and naval pageant." This senate invited nearly 5,000 guests to a dinner on 19 June, the evening before the inauguration. The Grosser Saal was restored for the occasion, at a great cost. While in this dining hall, guests could marvel at all the imagery showing Hamburg's central role in Germany's historic mission to conquer the sea.

The Navy League set up in 1898, which was supported financially mainly by Krupp steel and armament, drew nearly a quarter million members in three years.

----

I don't know if you'd be interested in the repro. leathers or not... but...

Jacket2.jpg

Trousers2.jpg

Deutscher Marine Bund stickpin (original)

dmbpin.jpg

Repro U-Boat Badge stickpin (it's being worn on my one suitcoat, along with the above stickpin):

uboatpin.jpg

That's all I can think of that I have for the moment...:)

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Nice stuff, I like the U-99 Sawfish and Gunther Priens Snorting bull!

I have a U-boat Badge also, but not with diamonds for the U-boat
commanders that have already recived the knights cross...
I also have a KM U-boat Flag (Replica) but I can't post any pictures
because unfortunetly my whole collection is in boxes (Moving next week).

P.S. Prien do you know how Otto Kretschmer got his emblem (golden horseshoe), it is actually pretty amazing.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Oh the Sawfish from U 96 - yeah that came in two versions - red and green. The one the U-Boat Society uses on their conning tower is the green version. You most likely already know that the emblem, like the Bull, was taken from a comic strip. Thanks for the compliment. :) I had fun working on them. :)

Yeah - the U-Boat Badge with Diamonds was given to only 28 U-Boat commanders. Wasn't an actual 'military award' though as you know. There is also two types of officer's daggers - the 'standard' type, and then the 'honor dagger' which is more elaborate of course.

I remember reading how he got the horseshoe but it was awhile ago, so don't recall the story in whole.

I had also recently purchased two photo reprints - one is a WWI U-Boat and the other an early WWII U-Boat (need to get frames for them - both will go in my living room):

WWI

002-3.jpg

WWII

001-4.jpg

The only other things I forgot to add were the U-Boat ring I wear everyday (except when cleaning) - it is reproduction of the type that was made back then:

ring.jpg

...and the Iron Cross 1st class, and 4 Year Service medals (not the ribbon bar which is shown that has the Iron Cross 2nd class and 4 Year Service) - but they're pretty common...

4 Year Service (I aged that using flat black enamel paint - same that I used in aging my reefer jacket):

4YearService2.jpg

Iron Cross 1st Class (again aged by me):

100_0625.jpg

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Nice, and Kretschmer one day in either 1939 or 40 (I haven't read the book in months) U-99 was pulling up their ancors and on one side they pulled up a horse shoe, and a seaman told the kapitanluentant and Kretschmer didn't really care and said throw it over board, then the other ancor was pulled and
they found another one and before the seaman threw it over board he told kretschmer and Kretschmer said "Well where's the horse?" and told them to throw it over board again, but then a lower officer sprung up and told him that scince they don't have an emblem yet that this would be perfect, so the next time they docked, Kretschmer paid some workers to stay after their shift and weld them on and paint them gold....

If you go to Chapters or Indigo you can order "The Golden Horseshoe" the wartime career of Otto Kretschmer, it is pricey but worth it; $50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn