Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wehrmacht Collection

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
I actuall just added a TK to the panzer visor below the eagle and above the wreath, I have ordered an historically correct eagle (the one on right now is for the NSDAP) and I am planning on getting a metal Wreath and Cockade.

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
The Wehrmacht Greatcoat...

I am not into any repro stuff at all, except, greatcoats. I used to have an old British Civil Defence coat, as heavy as a tank, but very warm. Years have gone by, and I wanted another one, instead of what the sales/media market want me to buy.
I scoured the web for just the right thing, came up with zilch usually,or, wrong size availability, then just as I was about to concede defeat, I found this little gem....I have posted this on here before, but, stumbled on this thread, so here is my six pennies worth. This is no way, a sales promotion, just, that I wanted a greatcoat, that went with my Bottle Green fedora hat, I am now as happy as Larry......the detail is amazing, even down to the clips for horse riding from the WW1 era..

http://www.epicmilitaria.co.uk/product.php/44/m36-field-grey-wool-greatcoat

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
RE StetsonHomburg,

It was acceptable to attach insignia, etc. onto one's cap on U-Boats.

The shark's teeth, hemp cord, and Cape Horn ship are in recognition of the beginnings in the German Merchant Marine. There were a number of U-Boat commanders that came in via the Handelsmarine (German Merchant Marine).

Sharks have a place in maritime superstition. Often sharks tails were hammered onto the bowsprit of the Cape Horn ship for good luck.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Prien said:
RE StetsonHomburg,

It was acceptable to attach insignia, etc. onto one's cap on U-Boats.

The shark's teeth, hemp cord, and Cape Horn ship are in recognition of the beginnings in the German Merchant Marine. There were a number of U-Boat commanders that came in via the Handelsmarine (German Merchant Marine).

Sharks have a place in maritime superstition. Often sharks tails were hammered onto the bowsprit of the Cape Horn ship for good luck.
I am aware of that I was just "poking" some fun at the hat, didn't mean to be disrespectful :eusa_doh:

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
I'll see your crusher and raise my Luft 'mutze'!

3f199e48.jpg

-dixon 'oberst' cannon
Dixon,

I have been hearing alot on your LW reenactments... Hows that going? I am interested in doing something in reenacting... Not many groups out In Alberta though. :p

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
StetsonHomburg: I am aware of that I was just "poking" some fun at the hat, didn't mean to be disrespectful.

It's ok - some may not know about all that info. as to why they're on there, etc. so no worries. :)

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Prien said:
That's a really nice KM cap you have there!;)

I got mine from Soldat FHQ, and had to re-age it (after having been in a torrential downpour in '07 - it was bad enough it took 3 days to dry out completely):

Cap1.jpg

capwbull.jpg
Prien,

I have been looking all over library's and the internet for some pictures of Otto Kretschmer/Gunther Prien and their crews with either the horseshoe or the snorting bull on their caps, do you have any or know if they ever actually wore them?

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Since I've been researching Prien's life since 2004, all I have come across was that there wasn't anything (this research of course 'crossed over' into learning some of Kretschmer, even though he wasn't my focus).

My impression is more of a (I don't like to use the term 'fantasy' but rather 'if' Prien had lived longer). My rank is obviously Korvettenkapitan and there are no photos of him wearing that uniform, but that was his last rank...so I had my uniform made to be that rank. I liked to combine the elements of the time he spent on the two Cape Horn ships (Hamburg and the Oldenburg - now the Suomen Joutsen and preserved in Turku, Finland) with the current service in the Navy.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Prien said:
Yes - Thanks Happy Jack :)
Prien,

I am looking at a guy named sanjay's site called http://www.replicaters.com/ and I am trying to deside which one to buy... A reefer jacket - http://www.replicaters.com/ww2german navy/Kriegmarine reefer jacket and pants.jpg or a these two Deck jacketss - http://www.replicaters.com/ww2german navy/grey leather jacket.GIF or http://www.replicaters.com/ww2german navy/grey leather jacket.GIF except I'll ask for the black leather with the golden buttons on the first one, wouldn't want that pale grey! lol

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
And if there is one Kriegsmarine guy (Prien), One Lufwaffe Guy (Dixon Cannon), and one Heer guy (Baggypants) I have to call myself An Afrikakorps guy
Because I love U-boats and the KM but my "love is with the panzers in the desert" This is an old uniform of mine and it is a not very good repo, but it was my first. I removed one of the rusted TK's to put it on my hat ( I am going to buy a "10" pack more of them to replace the ones on my unifoms. My left breast pocket has an EK2 ribbon but the picture doesn't show it. The guy I bought it from (a friend in LA) said it was used in either the movie Tobruk, or Indiana Jones because It has a big Ain the inside and he told me that what they did in hollywood; not sure thought? :p

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Re StetsonHomburg,

Replicaters is a rather 'controversial' business to deal with. Some have had very bad experiences with him, and some - like me - haven't had any major problems. So - it's a risk.

I got quite a bit from him: full set of leathers, reefer jacket, shirts, U-Boat denim pants, I had U-Boat shoes (canvas)...but my insignia (like the NS eagle for example on his reefer jacket) isn't the right style/shape - I got a replacement from Epic Militaria (UK) not too long ago - and they're just as good as Soldat, and far cheaper. Many of my medals (actually all except my IC 1st Class and the 4 Year Service) I got from Soldat, but I bought the higher quality ones. My U-Boat Badge w/ Diamonds (zirconias) was $700 - and that was the only one he had. That's also where I got my U-Boat ring as well.

Not too long ago I was in touch with him regarding KM ID disks, and he's not going to get anymore in (supply and demand) as the KM disks are a whole different size (and usually made of brass).

Not sure if that helps.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Prien said:
Re StetsonHomburg,

Replicaters is a rather 'controversial' business to deal with. Some have had very bad experiences with him, and some - like me - haven't had any major problems. So - it's a risk.

I got quite a bit from him: full set of leathers, reefer jacket, shirts, U-Boat denim pants, I had U-Boat shoes (canvas)...but my insignia (like the NS eagle for example on his reefer jacket) isn't the right style/shape - I got a replacement from Epic Militaria (UK) not too long ago - and they're just as good as Soldat, and far cheaper. Many of my medals (actually all except my IC 1st Class and the 4 Year Service) I got from Soldat, but I bought the higher quality ones. My U-Boat Badge w/ Diamonds (zirconias) was $700 - and that was the only one he had. That's also where I got my U-Boat ring as well.

Not too long ago I was in touch with him regarding KM ID disks, and he's not going to get anymore in (supply and demand) as the KM disks are a whole different size (and usually made of brass).

Not sure if that helps.
Okay thanks, Which leather deck jacket do you like better because I am going to buy one of the two? http://www.replicaters.com/ww2german...r jacket.GIF or http://www.replicaters.com/ww2german navy/Black leather mandarin collar coat.GIF but if I I get the double breasted one I'll ask for one in black leather.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Re StetsonHomburg,

I have the 3/4 length deck jacket (actually the full set of leathers in the grey color).

The black was more common during WWI, and the grey during WWII.

I personally love the longer jacket because it is warmer (as I wear my leathers in the winter - and they come in handy when I'm out shoveling snow in windy weather!)

But it is a personal preference as far as the type of jacket - in my research, there are photos of Prien wearing both (the shorter one during the early stages of the war, and the longer one during the later periods he served. I have not seen any photos of him wearing the shorter one in the later stages of his service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael