Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight of the world on my shoulders

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This is not -really- beauty....but hey...we don't have a Health section.

I have been suffering from really tense neck and shoulder muscles pretty much for a month now. It's also giving me headaches etc...and is just really unpleasant, when its bad, I can barely turn or support my head. :(

I have tried a number of things, heat, menthol creme type things...extra baths.....

alas....to no real avail.

So...any ideas? Short of actually going to get a massage, as that is just out of the price range at this point.

What the heck did our grandmothers do ?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Why don't you try a gentle yoga class for beginners that focuses on stretching and healing injuries? I know in West LA there are a few places that take donations as payment, so I'm sure there are some in your area too. Just be sure to tell the instructor what's going on with your neck and don't be afraid to speak up/ask to modify poses if what they are telling you to do isn't working for you.

I had scoliosis when I was a young teenager, and a lot of back pain because of it. I started doing yoga 3 hours a week and within a year my scoliosis had decreased by half and my back pain was nearly gone.

That being said, I've worked with amazing instructors and terrible ones. The bad ones can be really, really bad and possibly make you injure yourself even more. That's why a beginner's class is important and try to research/talk to the instructor and see how much they know about yoga. I was lucky enough to work with a 70 year old woman who had lived in India for 20 years and was AMAZING! Had I gone to a yoga class at 24 Hour Fitness or whatever I don't think I would have had the same results at all.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie, let me ask if you are sitting properly when you work by your computer? I had awful neck pains because I used my small 12" laptop daily, also for writing long papers. Following my doctors advice, I bought an elevator for it, so I have it in face-height (3-5 inches lower than eye level) and also use an external keyboard and mouse. This helped tremendously.

My doctor said all laptop users should do this, it isn't necessary when I just take it to school and use to take notes, but if I sit by it concentrated for many hours, it is very necessary. You don't even have to buy an elevator, until I could afford one, I just used a stack of books to lift up my laptop.

Also, I often tend to sleep on my stomach with arms lifted up and hands my face or pillow, like the "freefaller" position here. This strained my shoulders and neck a lot, so I started thinking my sleeping positions, which also helps.

What about your pillow, are you happy with it or would another type of pillow be better? I really like to sleep without a pillow, actually think it relaxes my neck, but I realize this won't apply for many people.

lagunie

New in Town
Try hunching and rolling your shoulders whenever you feel discomfort. Also, before you go to bed take an Aleve. Your sleep position has a lot to do with how your body feels. Hope you feel better soon.

PS

A-List Customer
Look for a massage school in your area, they need bodies and are always supervised. Its worth a look. As is a chiropractor who also offers physical therapy.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Yep...that's what i was gonna suggest too....see if there is a massage school in your area...it's inexpensive and worth it.

What did our grandmother's do? Valium. :) Just kidding. Well, no...not really. :) That and hot water bottles.

I am so sorry you are hurting---my bestest buddy is going thru this right now too and it is mostly from stress. It might sound stupid, but maybe do some journaling and see if there are any areas in your life that are more stressful than normal and come up with some strategies to cope. I know stress always throws my body out of whack.

2nd on the yoga too....but not the crazy Vinyasa flow/Power stuff. Although Bikram is truly bad ass if you can stand the heat---and it relaxes your muscles FAST. I have an old Lilias Folan VHS tape that I do--all she does are gentle postures, and she has a nice motherly tone that is soothing to my aching ears. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Oooh, I feel your pain. That can be just miserable and effect how you carry yourself, leading to even more muscle ache.

The massage schools are great for being treated to the benefits of massage without the cost of licensed practitioner, yet with the skill and guidance of the licensed teachers. And you can go specifically for neck and shoulders.

Another suggestion, based on my own experience: contour pillows. They have a little lift that supports your neck.

P11450575.jpg

One other thing - if it's work related, are you able to get coverage for massage or even acupuncture?

Foofoogal

Banned
Get your thyroid checked. You may also want to get your levels of magnesium, calcium and Vitamin D especially checked. You may be hypothyroid or have fibromyalgia.
Either that or change pillows or sitting at computer wrong can cause neck aches but getting your thyroid checked is my first suggestion.
I am in remission for about 4 years from Graves.
http://thyroid.about.com/library/links/blthyroid.htm

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I have found the best pillow for neck support is a Dunpillo. They are quite rubbery, usually a bit on the pricey side but well worth it.

I've suffered with neck problems for many years and I always feel much better using a Dunpillo than any other, even if they are firm. Soft pillows are definitely a no no as they just don't give enough support.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, if you have health insurance, check with your insurance plan. Many offer discounts for massage. I know my health insurance plan gets me 20% off at most places that offer deep tissue massage.

I second the yoga idea. If you can't afford a class, you might be able to rent a video from your local library. I would try a class first though, to make sure your posture and alignment in the asanas is correct. It may not take many classes at all - a few years ago, I always had really horrible lower back pain and it started going away after my first yoga class.

My favorite for really tense muscles is a hot tub with jets! Maybe see if there are places in your area that offer hourly (or even 30 minute) hot tub rentals. I know around here, there's a nice place that offers 30min for around $30. Better yet, split the cost with some friends and it will bring the cost way down. $55 for an hour split between 4 people isn't too expensive at all, and really work those muscles in front of the jets (and have fun with your friends at the same time!) Another option is to find a local health club that offers a whirlpool and see if they do 1 day visitor passes or 1 week trial memberships! I know most Bally's locations have whirlpools and they offer free trial memberships.

Also, adding epsom salts to your own hot baths can be really helpful.

Hope you get it worked out soon, Miss Neecerie. I know there's nothing worse than back pain!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lily Powers said:
Another suggestion, based on my own experience: contour pillows. They have a little lift that supports your neck.

P11450575.jpg

Thank you all for all the great ideas.....and you Lily are a genius....I -have- one of these, but it was on the guest bed....duh...

Slept with it again last night and things are at least -marginally- better....which is something and a good sign.

Yoga ....I should look up when the gym at work has classes...I went once upon a time....

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Also

Contrast Showers
(Article written by my dance instructor)

This has helped me with sore muscles (particularly traps and lats) after strength training, which I understand isn't exactly the same problem as you're experiencing, but it's easy enough to try the next time you're in the shower.

I usually do 2-min.hot/1-min.cold cycles.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
This is not -really- beauty....but hey...we don't have a Health section.

I have been suffering from really tense neck and shoulder muscles pretty much for a month now. It's also giving me headaches etc...and is just really unpleasant, when its bad, I can barely turn or support my head. :(

I have tried a number of things, heat, menthol creme type things...extra baths.....

alas....to no real avail.

So...any ideas? Short of actually going to get a massage, as that is just out of the price range at this point.

What the heck did our grandmothers do ?

You might have a pinched nerve. I really recommend you see a chiropractor and make payments. If you believe your condition could have been caused by your work, tell your supervisor. You might file a workers' comp claim. Laura Chase is right--your keyboard position could be the cause.

Meantime, I recommend acupressure. Try pressing TW15, Heavenly Rejuvenation. It's "on the shoulders, midway between the base of the neck and the outside of the shoulders, one-half inch below the top of the shoulders." It's just above the shoulder blade. "Curve your fingers on both hands and place them over the tops of your shoulders, your right hand on your right shoulder, your left hand on your left shoulder. Feel for a marble of tension directly above the top of the shoulder blade." I find it's easier to hold on to the skin than fabric. Hold onto it for about a minute. (Ref.: Acupressure's Potent Points by Michael Reed Gach.)

You can also try yoga. Slowly nod your head forward and backward five times. Turn your head side to side five times. Stretch your neck side to side (as if you were trying to touch your ear to your shoulder) five times. Stretch your neck forward five times (like a turtle peering out of its shell). Then roll your head clockwise five times, then counterclockwise five times. Another exercise: on a rug or mat, tuck your knees to your chest and roll on your back and shoulders, back and forth (not side to side). These exercises work best if you are relaxed.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am feeling much much better....so I think it was just my pillow stupidity.

Now that I have fixed that, the knots have started to go away and I am pretty much pain free....so no pinched nerve.

But I will still check out the yoga schedule at the work gym and keep using heat til its all gone.

Thank you for all the great ideas!

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
I had a bad back after a minor accident and did yoga with ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE. Most chronic back and neck pain is down to weakening muscles and poor posture. Massages are good but improving posture and muscle awareness were the 'self help/self improvement' solution. Alexander technique classes can b expensive but I did them as part of a group at a local education centre. (In England there are various gov' subsidised evening classes). They were the equivalent of $5 a session.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I am feeling much much better....so I think it was just my pillow stupidity.

Now that I have fixed that, the knots have started to go away and I am pretty much pain free....so no pinched nerve.

But I will still check out the yoga schedule at the work gym and keep using heat til its all gone.

Thank you for all the great ideas!

So glad to hear your are feeling better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy