Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Retrobeme

New in Town
I second "Eating Raul" which is quite funny/cheesy. Speaking of the theme 9of eating/food, I'll add "Tampopo" which is considered a "Noodle Western" and the "Laguini Incident." All three films are great 80's cheesy/ black comedies.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Once I get a real job and get my financial house in order, I'll be on the prowl for some of these titles.

I loved THE ASSASSINATION BUREAU, and not just because it showcased the always scrumptious Diana Rigg. And speaking of Dame Diana, THEATRE OF BLOOD is a wonderful black comedy/horror movie.

Another off-kilter Sinatra movie was THE DETECTIVE, with its creepy and sensationalistic take on the homosexual underground.

I thought BLOW-UP was a beautifully crafted movie, but I frankly couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

And if you want to see a strange short subject, try the Three Stooges' COOKOO ON A CHOO-CHOO. You have Moe as a railroad detective in a stolen railroad car, Larry impersonating Marlon Brando, and a very drunk Shemp hallucinating about a 6-foot-tall canary.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions... now here are my contributions:

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (1989)

I made the mistake of taking a woman to see this on a first date. We were both rather shellshocked afterwards! The Netflix description:

"Tired of his boorish lifestyle and increasingly difficult attitude, the wife of a barbaric crime boss engages in a secret romance with a bookish patron between meals at her husband's restaurant, sneaking into the kitchen for liaisons while he and his thugs dine. Food, color-coding, sex, murder, torture and cannibalism are the exotic fare in this beautifully filmed but brutally uncompromising modern fable."

Duel (1970) Starred Dennis Weaver, directed by Steven Spielberg. The original road rage movie. Dunno if it's forgotten or not, but it was weird and very gripping.

Laserblast (1977) A very bad sci-fi flick. Best part is when the kid (who is changing into an alien because he's wearing an alien weapon on his arm) hangs out the side window of a VW bus and blasts a "Star Wars" billboard to bits.

Cheers,
Tom

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
"Diplomatic Courier" is a great Cold War Spy movie. Late 1940s/early 1950s.

Hitchcock's "Spellbound" with Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman is another forgotten one. I recently saw it for the first time and it was great.

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
Howard the Duck

I know it's not really "vintage" but it does fall under weird and forgotten. B movie sci-fi film that was good for mind numbing entertainment. I just wish they would re-release it on DVD.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
The british 1960s/70s ghost stories based on original novels by M. R. James, both set on the bleak Norfolk coastline. Absolute treasures in my eyes.....

"Whistle and I'll Come To You" possibly the most scared I've ever been watching a film, utterly chilling.

"A Warning To The Curious"

The latter is still available on DVD, but the first seems to have vanished.

byronic

One of the Regulars
yes eve, i recently saw 'whistle and i'll come to you', it starred michael hordern and was directed by jonathan miller. the makers of todays slash movies would do well to watch this as an object lesson in suspense and atmosphere. it gave me the shivers.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
byronic said:
yes eve, i recently saw 'whistle and i'll come to you', it starred michael hordern and was directed by jonathan miller. the makers of todays slash movies would do well to watch this as an object lesson in suspense and atmosphere. it gave me the shivers.

What a great film, the dream sequence was truly horrifying. There's something quite remarkable about a low budget ghost story isn't there? I'd love to get hold of it and scare myself silly again.

byronic

One of the Regulars
on the subject of low budget spooky movies: does anyone remember a short-30 minutes- film starring orson welles and set in ireland called 'the road to glennasgaul'?, it was creepy, atmospheric and with a jokey ending. perfect bedtime viewing.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Among my all-time favorite movies are three that would qualify as weird and fairly forgotten: Oh! What A Lovely War (Richard Attenborough), Brewster McCloud (Robert Altman) and The Cars That Ate Paris (Peter Weir). Make that four - Picnic At Hanging Rock (Peter Weir) is also at the top of my list.

freebird

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Ya got me, freebird. I've never heard of that short movie. Now of course I want to see it.

It was on TCM a few months back, I recorded it to dvd for my collection lol.
Also The Ghost Train is one you have to see,if you haven't already, it's a quirky British comedy / mystery / horror films that leaves you laughing more than anything.

byronic

One of the Regulars
freebird, if you liked 'the ghost train' you will probably love 'oh mr porter', starring the great Will Hay. it's available on dvd.

freebird

Practically Family
Will have to keep an eye open for it. I tend to like those sorts of movies, Arthur Askey's role as Gander in Ghost Train left me in stitches. Especially that song he did trying to entertain the others lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats