Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A little "Light Pops" music for you

4023092538_95d95be9ac.jpg
"So this thing's gonna feed me, eh?"
Paul Whiteman, competing in the 200-lb. class in the early 30s.

The once-30+piece PW Orchestra was also at a skeleton strength of 18, playing a leaner, streamlined music, with more of a beat. Just the thing for the days of see-thru coffee, vegetable-infested Jell-O, and cautious dancers on the verge of hypoglycemia.

All of Me, featuring Mildred Bailey, 1931
Three on a Match, featuring Red McKenzie, 1932
Rise 'N Shine, featuring Ramona, 1932
Sittin' on a Backyard Fence, featuring the "New" Rhythm Boys, 1933

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"A nice cup of Tea"

"Lancashire Lass, "our" Gracie Fields goes into raptures over a cup of Tea"

A NICE CUP OF TEA
(Herbert / Sullivan)

prch3226.jpg

I like a nice cup of tea in the morning
For to start the day you see
And at half-past eleven
Well my idea of Heaven
Is a nice cup of tea
I like a nice cup of tea with my dinner
And a nice cup of tea with my tea
And when it's time for bed
There's a lot to be said
For a nice cup of tea

62779.jpg

61nFerwJCaL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to stall around and not do stuff I need to do by --

Now playing, one of the classiest sweet bands of the thirties, Richard Himber and his Ritz Carlton Orchestra in 1934, and "With Every Breath I Take." I can't understand why there is no Joey Nash Appreciation Society, because his vocals on these thirties Himber sides are consistently wonderful. A tenor version of Al Bowlly.

Next up, another great forgotten vocalist, Kay Weber, in 1935 with the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra, and "Every Single Little Tingle Of My Heart." Any more verbiage on the label and they'd have to continue it on the next record.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra, pumping out one of my favourite '30s tunes...

"Happy Feet".

...I keep cheerful, on an earful,
Of music sweet,
'Cause I've got those hap-hap-happy...
Feeeet!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"Enough Depression, Fletch!"

If anybody feels that way, I'll promise to post only pre-1930-post-1935 music for awhile.

But I have to tell you, you're out of your cotton pickin' mind.

In support of the above observation, I give you Waring's Pennsylvanians, via Program Transcription.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GppO-LVtttc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GppO-LVtttc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

jwalls

Vendor
Antje said:
I'm in a country period I guess, Merle Haggard is on now.
If you can find a copy of an old album by Haggard and Jones called 'Yesterday's Wine' pick it up. It has a number that contains the best line in country music: ":) How come your talking bout walking on water to two drunks who can't even crawl"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The Hindenburg Disaster, courtesy of Mr. Herbert Morrison.

"...It's burst into flames! It's burst into flames and it's falling! It's crashing! Watch it, watch it! Get out of the way, get out of the way! Get this, Charlie, get this, Charlie! It's flames and it's crashing, crashing, terrible! Oh my, get out of the way, please! It's burning, burst into flames and falling on the mooring-mast, and all the folks agree that this is terrible! This is one of the worst catastrophes in the world!..."

One of the greatest audio-recordings in history...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to fight the cat for the last slice of bacon by --

First up, the Washboard Wonders on a Buff Bluebird in 1937, and "You're Everything Sweet." If you ever wake up in the morning with a hankerin' for a snappy washboard-kazoo-western swing novelty record, why, by cracky, this here be the one you want, I swan to puckah.

Next, about as far to the other extreme as it's possible to get, as we bounce back to 1930 and hear Libby Holman moan and wail her way thru "Am I Blue."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn