Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Maguire

Practically Family
anon` said:
2Jan2010-2.JPG
2Jan2010-5.JPG

2Jan2009-4.JPG
2Jan2010-6.JPG

Twice now, in the last decade, I've shaved it all off. Figured it was worth taking some pictures of, for the sake of posterity.
Love the sunglasses, was trying to get a pair like that myself. Everything else is sharp too.

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Tweed Suit made in Afghanistan

IMG_2234.jpg

Here is a tweed suit I had made earlier this year while stationed in Kabul - I got a few yards of very heavy (24oz) tweed on Ebay, and the tailor charged me 60 bucks to make it into a two-piece suit. The only actual vintage items I have on are the hat and the tie - the shoes are modern retro Ralph Lauren captoes in a Scotch grain.

I printed off a few of the 1930's color plates from this site and gave them to the tailor to give him an idea of what I wanted (he spoke almost no English) - and he got fairly close with the trousers especially - very high waisted, roomy legged, deep pleated - with a fishtail back

Afghan%20Tweed%20Suit

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Mountain Man said:
IMG_2234.jpg

Here is a tweed suit I had made earlier this year while stationed in Kabul - I got a few yards of very heavy (24oz) tweed on Ebay, and the tailor charged me 60 bucks to make it into a two-piece suit. The only actual vintage items I have on are the hat and the tie - the shoes are modern retro Ralph Lauren captoes in a Scotch grain.

I printed off a few of the 1930's color plates from this site and gave them to the tailor to give him an idea of what I wanted (he spoke almost no English) - and he got fairly close with the trousers especially - very high waisted, roomy legged, deep pleated - with a fishtail back

Afghan%20Tweed%20Suit

Very nice! We should have you guide an expedition to Kabul to have $60 suits made up. ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mountain Man said:
IMG_2234.jpg

Afghan%20Tweed%20Suit

Wow! Fantastic!!! And who could imagine such quality for that price! Are there any details contained that may hint at where it was created?

So all one needs to do is travel to Afghanistan, huh? hmmm :rolleyes:

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
Today:
Flannel and Astrakhan are my friends.
me124.jpg

*sigh* Vintage winter dressing is so much easier for the blokes. You look so nice and warm. I keep not wearing any of my 4 new dresses because as cute as they are, me all blue and shivering ruins the effect. To be fair, I am a total wuss about the cold, but still.

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
mike said:
Wow! Fantastic!!! And who could imagine such quality for that price! Are there any details contained that may hint at where it was created?

So all one needs to do is travel to Afghanistan, huh? hmmm :rolleyes:

They did pretty well, but you literally needed to draw that particular guy a picture and show him exactly what you wanted. You also had to double check it in good light, try it on while he was there, etc - he came by our compound once a week and would make changes, adjustments, etc.

I never could get him to do the little English-style slant on the breast pocket, and they NEVER put in a lapel buttonhole on the first go-round - I always had to make him re-do my jackets.

Some of those guys would try to take shortcuts - there was a good sized permanent shop over on Camp Eggers which did very slipshod work and charged a higher price, but our little guy did pretty well so long as you were very specific, which was a little difficult bcause of the language barrier.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mountain Man: looking great, and the trousers are indeed roomy! I have always wanted to visit Kandahar for the Asokan Buddhist inscriptions in ancient Greek: perhaps a Kabul-Kandahar trip?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mountain Man said:
IMG_2234.jpg

Afghan%20Tweed%20Suit

Very nice ...now hand it over to Quigley...his need is greater...;)

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Doran said:
Mountain Man: looking great, and the trousers are indeed roomy! I have always wanted to visit Kandahar for the Asokan Buddhist inscriptions in ancient Greek: perhaps a Kabul-Kandahar trip?

Afghanistan does have a lot of cross-cultural antiquities - I wish I had gotten up to Bamiyan to see the site where the giant Buddha statues were. I spent most of my time between Kabul and Bagram.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
metropd said:

A gorgeous babe on your arm -- no, actually, on the COUCH -- and a fashion spread in a magazine.

These, my friend, are your just desserts for being a stand-up guy who always takes the time to look swell!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt