Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

AntonAAK

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
"Oh I had never considered wearing a suit jacket with pale, Trousers, this actually does work!"

I was surprised by that too. Sproily looks great in that photo (as always :eusa_clap ). I shall try that look myself as a change from a blue blazer and light trousers.

It also gets over the problem of what hat to wear. I have never liked a blazer with a fedora and would only wear it with a panama but with this look, which is only subtly different, a fedora seems to work. Opens up more options.

Thanks Sproily.

Edward

Bartender
BinkieBaumont said:
"Oh I had never considered wearing a suit jacket with pale, Trousers, this actually does work!"

I've always been led to believe that it was quite a common apporach in the thirties. Which makes logical sense, when you think about it. The lounge suit was much more common as casual clothing back then (not the 'formal' option it has become in the contemporary mainstream). This would, to my mind, suggest that the trousers tended to wear out much more quickly if worn on a daily basis (remember, back then most folks wouldn't have had the spare scratch to enjoy the luxury of extensive wardrobes the way we do now). Necessity - the inability to afford an entire new suit - would logically be the mother of invention - the pairing of an old suit jacket with alternative trousers. As well as allowing an old jacket to continue to be wearable absent its matching trousers, a further, contrasting, pair of trousers also facilitated an affordable way of having another look - again, expanding the wardrobe options for the average person. The phrase that springs to mind here is 'capsule wardrobe' - then done out of necessity rather than a fashion affectation or vacation convenience as it is for many now.

The key is contrast - too close (navy jacket and dark blue trousers) and it looks like ill-matching separates. Of course, there is also the wrong kind of contrast - clashing patterns, for example.

sproily

Practically Family
Thanks all!

From what I gather it was quite popular back in the day. The trousers are heavy linen (I had them made) and bucks are NOS.

I was contemplating on a boater but it wasn't 15.5 nor sunshine. So that's that.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:arated: The Seamstress is worth her weight in gold. Great trousers in both versions! Unless you are to proud of them to share you should tell her she would have willing customers all over the lounge.:whistling

If you delivered the pattern and the fabrics you two should form a team forever.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HarpPlayerGene said:
my 30x34 dimensions make it a trick to find them ready made.
A waistband can usually be taken in around 2" without any deleterious effects. 32x34 should be much easier to find. ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1950's Haspel seersucker summer suit
1940's Stetson Sovereign

sovereign_gray_05_12_10.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
GiJoe & Cherry Lips - Thank you so much!! I have gotten the Marilyn comment a few times, but unfortunatly it is only the hair that remotely resembles her.

Mario - Great outfit!! I think you are one of those gents here who truly looks natural in a hat. And I am a sucker for cravats as well.. amazing.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Darhling said:
GiJoe & Cherry Lips - Thank you so much!! I have gotten the Marilyn comment a few times, but unfortunatly it is only the hair that remotely resembles her.

now now honey, you have the figure too.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Light green 1950s pastel green loop collar shirt, 1940s black/white houndstooth with blue overcheck. Brown suede Alden monkstrap shoes, patent 1929 belt, 2 button SB peak lapel 1920s jacket from Suva, Fiji.

JavaCombo1.jpg

bk

Incredible get-up....especially the trousers. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183