Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

A day for workwear

A few days ago. Weather was a leetle chilly.

CC41 British cap
1930s/40s/50s (probably 40s) British A-1 style lambskin leather jacket
T-shirt by Lee Kung Man Knitting Factory (Hong Kong) Ltd, with vintage work buttons replaced by me
1950s French wide wale corduroy work trousers
Cheap modern British suede brogues

30-8-12WAYWT.jpg

Last edited:
Still learning, mate, still learning. So rhythm. Chose D-hole cause I think it has nicer aesthetics, and I was advised that the D-Hole was better for the booming rhythm sound.

And just because Baro Ferret (tasch-less) is the coolest criminal that ever lived:

[video=youtube;fzz6fAdFFis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzz6fAdFFis[/video]

bk

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Still learning, mate, still learning. So rhythm. Chose D-hole cause I think it has nicer aesthetics, and I was advised that the D-Hole was better for the booming rhythm sound.

La pompe! Yes, rhythm players usually play the the D-hole models. And for a reason.

And just because Baro Ferret (tasch-less) is the coolest criminal that ever lived:

[video=youtube;fzz6fAdFFis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzz6fAdFFis[/video]

bk

One of my favorite clips of all times. The only one in which you can really see Django doing his stuff. And after that words just fail me... ;)

Edward

Bartender
A few days ago. Weather was a leetle chilly.

CC41 British cap
1930s/40s/50s (probably 40s) British A-1 style lambskin leather jacket
T-shirt by Lee Kung Man Knitting Factory (Hong Kong) Ltd, with vintage work buttons replaced by me
1950s French wide wale corduroy work trousers
Cheap modern British suede brogues

30-8-12WAYWT.jpg

Nice jacket... Lambskin quite typical for British stuff of the period, wasn't it? Any back detailing? Front end looks a lot like Doctor Jones' go-to, except is that knit cuffs I can see?

(How those Sameul Windsors treatin' ya, BTW? Santa brought me a pair last Christmas. I like them a lot, though this year having been so wet I've had little wear out of them to date. Nice shoes, though.)

I thought that might take your notice. ;)

It's an early-middle 1980s Gitane, Grand Bouche. Numbered 2483. Plays beautifully.

Nice. I'm really taken with the Baroness' Hofner, though....

Hello, autumn. It's tweed time!
5B21B311-4687-4941-8512-EE29A148C2F6-10331-0000146545BA5741.jpg

:)

Hi Ed, well Samuel Windsor's are what they are - £36 shoes. A good stand in til I can afford a proper pair.

Yes, lambskin was the standard leather in the UK - the reason most jackets didn't survive very well; this stuff really is fragile. No back detailing; it's a very simple workwear style. Yes, that's knit cuffs and hem. It's a bit long for me, so I tuck the knit under.

Nice jacket... Lambskin quite typical for British stuff of the period, wasn't it? Any back detailing? Front end looks a lot like Doctor Jones' go-to, except is that knit cuffs I can see?

(How those Sameul Windsors treatin' ya, BTW? Santa brought me a pair last Christmas. I like them a lot, though this year having been so wet I've had little wear out of them to date. Nice shoes, though.)

Nice. I'm really taken with the Baroness' Hofner, though....

:)

Yes, most certainly that's a wonderful machine, that Hofner. 1953 or something, I don't remember exactly.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Well, there's a little bit here, with Babik looking over his shoulder.

[video=youtube;WndDAzSUkqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WndDAzSUkqs[/video]

Ah yes, I know that one. I think there is still another clip featuring Django but the one you posted first (J'attendrai) seems to be the only existing footage of Django (that I know of) that comes with the proper audio track.

yes, that's right. There's a clip of him playing in a nightclub, I think in Belgium. [EDIT] yes this one, that appears to be the correct music. With Django playing a D-hole no less, and rudimentary chords.

[video=youtube;FDdBle70TNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDdBle70TNQ[/video]

I'm amazed no-one filmed them during the long trip through England in 1938 …

Edward

Bartender
Hi Ed, well Samuel Windsor's are what they are - £36 shoes. A good stand in til I can afford a proper pair.

Yeah, I've got, I think, four pairs of their shoes. Very happy with them. Especially at that price. Money more abundant, of course I'd go straight to Church's for everything... ;) Except maybe the suede... I only wear those when it's dry out, and that hasn't been often recently. More inclined to save the money for something that's harder to find outside of the big names or that I wear more often... (Course, all my leather shoes get worn often, I've still got a couple of pairs of canvas gutties somewhere, but I've pretty much abandoned trainers entirely by this point).

Yes, lambskin was the standard leather in the UK - the reason most jackets didn't survive very well; this stuff really is fragile.

Always seems bizarre to me, but then I cut my leather jacket teeth on bike leathers in the Eighties, so my default has always been an emphasis on hard-wearing, 'solid' leather - the more like armour the better. Doesn't seem to have been a concern back in the day - even all the original higher end stuff I've handled like Lewis Dominators, Lightnings, and w.h.y. from the Sixties were pretty flimsy.

No back detailing; it's a very simple workwear style. Yes, that's knit cuffs and hem. It's a bit long for me, so I tuck the knit under.

Be interesting to see the knit out... It looks like a long fitting in something vaguely A2 styled, if you account for the knits; without them, it very much puts me in mind of an Indiana Jones jacket. Actually very similar to the Wested I picked up last year for warm weather wear, if you discount the knits (and the pockets button rather than sud fastening, and I imagine yours has no side-entry handwarmer pockets?). Never thought we'd see the day when you opted for something close to an A2, eh? Or are those pockets not silly wee? ;)

Yes, most certainly that's a wonderful machine, that Hofner. 1953 or something, I don't remember exactly.

I'd say it's fairly collectable by this point. Not quite so much so as the Senator and violin bass models, what with their (respectively) Sutcliffe and Macartney connections, but still, all those early Hofners are upping in value by now. The violin bases are stupid expensive - ironically Macca played one of those partly because it was symmetrical and thus easily converted to left handed playing, and partly because it was relatively cheap, and his old man has driled it into him not to get into hock. The top end reissues now go for well over a grand....

I am repro more than vintage...

1930's inspired tea length black & cream plaid skirt, Black peek a boo platform heel - these shoes are dead sexy, I almost swooned when I found them - and a black turtle neck sweater.
Pearl earrings and a bracelet made out of vintage type writer keys - sounds weird but it is very cool.

Barbiegirl, the outfits sounds just smashing. In regard to the type-writer bracelet, What a unique idea, many of the older type writers had glass keys, so I am guessing your unique typewriter key bracelet is Glass.
Please post a pic went you get time. I would like to get something similiar ie a necklace for my daughter with her name spelled out with the old typewriter keys. She loves unique items.
Thank you for sharing.
Best regards
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart