Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words Two Types - yes, the Crombie is indeed quite weighty but not as heavy as my steerhide Barnstormer! I waited years to find a really great overcoat and I simply love it, tailored in Dudley according to the label!

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
I second MD. ;)
However Garrulus, there were also plenty period types of glasses that were not circular. You might try glasses with an more oval shape or with a straight upper edge. If you go for the turn-of-century, teens and twenties style there were quite diverse shapes of glasses.

Period "eyewear" is a critical "final touch" for any wardrobe. :cool: An immaculate period outfit just looks a tad "odd" with modern glasses IMHO. Alternatively you might opt for contact lenses. ;)

I know it adds a lot to the outfit but I'm not entirely sure yet about getting a pair of "old" glasses to match outfit's I'm not wearing so often. Though I have been thinking about contact lenses for occasional use.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Earlier this week, '50s Lee Fedora, '20s tie, 1940 dated M1939 Army overcoat, '50s gabardine slacks, AE cap toes.
CIMG3957_zps5fef869e.jpg

CIMG3958_zpsbdd18cf9.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Last of the Christmas parties to do to last night and it gave me an excuse to sport my new 1932 three piece French dinner suit, with complete black tie rig.

405095617.jpg

Something different today, could be considered even historical in fact! I got many good and positive comments during the day, mostly from elderly women but there was a few younger ones and male persons too :). I was even jokingly called for August Strindberg (An Swedish author who lived in 1849-1912 and was supposedly a fan of frock coats).
F%C3%B6rfattaren_August_Strindberg_if%C3%B6rd_bonjour_-_Nordiska_Museet_-_NMA.0033020.jpg

FrockCoat-1_zpsd4b858fd.jpg

FrockCoatSpats_zpsb11447a1.jpg

OUTSTANDING SIR.

Best regards
CCJ

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I like that jacket a lot! I believe it was referred to as the officers mackinaw coat. Is it supposed to only have 3 buttons?

If you mean are there supposed to be three others on the left side like yours, no. Technically, though, it has five large buttons, but only three of them would normally show (one of which was in a pocket when I bought it):

Photoon2011-05-16at20372.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
I have often wondered as to what headgear is right for an army overcoat/greatcoat; certainly the hat you have chosen goes excellently. Presumably when leaving the house you would also be wearing gloves and perhaps a scarf - I tend to think that gloves are essential for "finish" when an overcoat is worn.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that design would originally have had a second row of buttons like every other double breasted coat.

Yes, you are right about that. To clarify, that is the way I found it, one row only. Whether the other buttons were cut off or just fell off naturally, I can't tell...At any rate, it was worth the ten bucks I paid for it, and I can always replace the missing buttons.

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Went to Christmas Sunday services today with Lovely fiance o' mine. She wore black pattent mary-jane heels (20s style with curved heels), black, gold, & gray micro-hounds-tooth tweed peak lapel jacket, deep teal cotton dress with pleated bosom and ruffled collar, purple fur felt cloche hat, and one of the many engagement rings which I've given her over the years on our anniversaries....As for me.....

I wore a three piece charcoal gray cashmere/wool suit, square bottom waist-coat, four besom pockets, 6 buttons, notched lapels, flat front, fish tail, no cuff, trim line trousers (1890s cut), and 3 button peaked lapel hacked flap pocket jacket, with 4 functional cuff buttons, all lined in crimson and black silk jacquard (the suit is custom made and designed by me, and my tailor). My shirt was an American Living shirt, purple micro-gingham with white spread collar and french cuffs, white suspenders, tan pig-skin wing-tips, cognac coloured lizard skin passport wallet, mahogany coloured lizard skin wrist-band on my 1930s era art-Deco wrist-watch, grandfather's art-Deco finger ring, white gold wedding-band, and white-gold and sapphire pinkie ring and tan leather gloves and brown beaver fur felt fedora. Over all, a green silk with small orange paisley scarf, and a db 6 button peak lapel Regis Rex vintage 100% camel hair over-coat with patch-hip-pockets and no breast-pocket with rear buttoned belt at waist. My camera is awful right now, but I'll try to get up a picture soon. My girl doesn't want her picture up though. Oh well.....

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I have often wondered as to what headgear is right for an army overcoat/greatcoat; certainly the hat you have chosen goes excellently. Presumably when leaving the house you would also be wearing gloves and perhaps a scarf - I tend to think that gloves are essential for "finish" when an overcoat is worn.

I had been wearing a scarf, but decided to take it off for the photo. I've thought the same thing about what kind of headwear goes with this coat. An officers cap would look nice with it, but I don't think it'd make much sense wearing one casually around town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass