Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Morning hijinks wearing vintage Oviatt Tweed jacket, Stetson Bantam, Allen Edmond McNeil gunboats and a Towncraft DeLuxe tie.

3A37C8C8-8621-4932-BC88-093A61019C45-M.jpg

DSC03675-M.jpg

DSC03693-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A couple we know run a lovely countryside pub, more like a coaching inn, in the days before the internal combustion engine. They are so good at restaurant style meals, given the guy's training as a chef. The corona virus has hurt them badly but their regulars have rallied around. We can still dine with them, but we have to eat outside, at tables spread around the gardens so that we keep a safe distance from other diners.

Today we had lunch there. The real "Mine Host" is the lady, when my wife Tina phoned to book our table she was asked, make that instructed, to wear the outfits that we wore to a wedding pre-lockdown. How could we refuse? This couple want us to be at their wedding next August. We love them dearly, do hope that they survive this wretched plague.
Tina made everything that she is wearing except her hat, she also made the trousers that I am wearing. My shirt is a favourite and comes from Chester Cordite. Tina's hat is bespoke, the lady that made it, made a matching feather for my hatband, how I love it. When we arrived for lunch, in our old MG, of course, the couple running the place were similarly attired. I really must remember to take some photos, not to worry, here's what we looked like.
pauline & jim's wedding 005.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A couple we know run a lovely countryside pub, more like a coaching inn, in the days before the internal combustion engine. They are so good at restaurant style meals, given the guy's training as a chef. The corona virus has hurt them badly but their regulars have rallied around. We can still dine with them, but we have to eat outside, at tables spread around the gardens so that we keep a safe distance from other diners.

Today we had lunch there. The real "Mine Host" is the lady, when my wife Tina phoned to book our table she was asked, make that instructed, to wear the outfits that we wore to a wedding pre-lockdown. How could we refuse? This couple want us to be at their wedding next August. We love them dearly, do hope that they survive this wretched plague.
Tina made everything that she is wearing except her hat, she also made the trousers that I am wearing. My shirt is a favourite and comes from Chester Cordite. Tina's hat is bespoke, the lady that made it, made a matching feather for my hatband, how I love it. When we arrived for lunch, in our old MG, of course, the couple running the place were similarly attired. I really must remember to take some photos, not to worry, here's what we looked like.
View attachment 278824

You and your wife look sharp and are well coordinated. It is a small pleasure to have a meal out of the house during this pandemic. Cheers.

Veterans day-day in uniform

Sharp attire sir.

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Eric, what the couple have done, rather cleverly really, is to turn part of their pub into a retail shop selling fresh produce. Being out in a remote area, surrounded by small communities it's proved very popular with locals. We have been buying lots of fresh items there.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday and today I found opportunities to wear attire worthy of posting on this thread. A trip to the grocery store found me in vintage Allen Edmond shoes (70's Leeds), vintage Character Cravat tie, vintage 60's Pendlton sweater vest and a 1930's Canadian Brock fedora. A mix of decades that worked together.

i-SVJMqpV-M.jpg

This morning a butcher shop appointment made me sport'n a vintage 1930's Borsolino fedora, vintage Haband tie, vintage Pendleton and a pair of 1980's Allen Edmonds (Wartons).

i-F9FLzrr-M.jpg

Cheers folks. best wishes, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Real life forces compromises. I headed back to work this afternoon in a vintage Oviatt's tweed coat (showcased before), vintage 40's Dobbs fedora and a tweed vest. I choose to wear modern jeans (L.L.Bean jeans) and modern boots (Allen Edmonds) as I had to move some heavy and rough items. I had administrative work and some physical work - hence the compromise in attire.

A57B1894-5140-42C3-98E0-F28E6A4607E3-M.jpg

DSC04290-M.jpg

DSC04286-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Shopping at a supermarket today, I should have worn my brown suit with white pinstripes. The store manager and I have enjoyed many a two way remark on each other's attire. He's a younger man, late thirties at a guess and is a sharp dresser. He always wears a suit, modern in appearance, slim lapels and tapered waist. (I can't remember when I last had a waist.) His shirt preference is for the cut away collar, matched with a tie that compliments his suit. He likes modern Italian styled shoes, polished to a mirror finish.

Today he wore his brown pinstripe suit. "Well look at you," I said with a smile, "You're not the first to notice," he answered, returning the smile. "You never disappoint," I quipped, "But you know, you should top off that fine ensemble with a hat." He pulled a face, a sort of grimace. "I have a suit like your's, not in style but in fabric." "Why am I not surprised," he replied. "My suit has a fine hat to set it off," I said, showing him a photo of it on my phone. His face lit up, "you like old steam trains," he exclaimed, adding, "I love steam trains." "You are supposed to be looking at the hat," I chided. "Well I'm equally impressed at your wife's outfit." "I'll pass your compliment on," I promised.

Here's that photo on my phone, some of you will have seen it previously, but it saves me getting the suit out and knowing Zombie, he'll say: "pictures, we want to see pictures."
hercules.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I do prefer the pocket watch, but an incident some years ago made me think again. General public functions I will wear a wrist watch, the type of functions where we know most of the people there, people who share our love of the era, I will wear one of my two pocket watches. Both are antique, one being my Grandfather's police watch and the other a gift from my wife, I'm keen to take care of them.

That incident that I mentioned previously, was the theft of a friends pocket watch, either snatched or a pick-pocket. His watch, like that of my Grandfather's, was inherited and had great sentimental value. The loss made him feel physically ill. That's why I'm so cautious.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^ Understandable caution.
I seem to have fallen out of the pocket watch habit; largely I suppose to the convenience
of wrist wear, but several watches are lying about, testament to my grandfather's streetcar conductor
service. His Elgins are in good repair, and I picked up a Chinese knockoff some time ago with a gold
chain that I attached my Kappa key to along with a tiny gold shield from my field artillery days.
Trouble is, I seldom wear a pocket watch, seems more a sartorial inconvenience rather than a necessary
piece of personal issue. :(

Edward

Bartender
My pocket watches tend to be worn more with white tie than anything else, as I have a hefty silver double-Albert chain I inherited. The watches themselves, though, are new and relatively inexpensive; I think the priciest one is a pewter piece I bought in Dublin with the GPO pictured on the front and a legend about the centenary of the '16 Rising. Picked it up in a gift shop on holiday there at Easter 2016. The very cheapest ones can be iffy, but from thirty or forty quid and up they seem to keep reasonable time. I have a nice goldtone one too that was a present from an old university friend and family for my 40th for morning wear. Not had a chance to wear either much of late, but... I do like a pocket watch for occasional wear; a wrist watch is handier for day to day convenience.

Today, as most days recently, I'm in a pair of Dickies 871s; I have a work function later where they've jumped on the "whacky Christmas jumper" theme, so my own silent protest at attempted enforced "fun" of that variety sees me wearing a grey, vintage-cut sweatshirt.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^One Christmas party memorable enforced sweater suggestion crashed against an office
water cooler coup d'état that resulted in complete cancellation of said festive yuletide cheer.
And I was gonna wear my Chicago Bears sweatshirt. Unbearable.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ