Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Lucky Strike said:
DSC02020.jpg

Cufflinks with BLUEbells, silver and enamel

I like the square, too, but I want to see more of that tie & those links.

Marty's question on the suit -- inquiring minds want to know.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Today, a symphony in grey:

Dark grey single-breasted three-button ventless suit
Paul Fredrick medium grey spread collar shirt with subtle line pattern, barrel cuffs
Grey-green geometric pattern tie
Silver tie bar, straight across
Ashear multi-color pocket square, puff fold (black portion visible)
Black braces
Swiss Army watch with black band
Burberry cologne
Jos. A. Bank dark grey argyle (very subtle) OTC socks
Alen Edmonds black Cody kiltie tassel mocs with woven leather insets
Nautica black double-breasted topcoat
Black leather gloves
Dark green plaid scarf
Churchill grey fedora with black band, 2.5" brim, company pin, late 1980s vintage (new Ebay pick-up)

My Birman cat Claire, who has grey tones in her fur, is purring vigorous approval of this outfit as I type. :)

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Bama Mike said:

Mike, if we shopped your photos around, we could get you modeling gigs for the dust jackets of retro-noir detective novels and covers of mystery magazines. In fact, if you have any mystery fiction writing talents of your own, we could so market you. Trust me on this. The next Mickey Spillane, a working detective out of Mobile. Think of all the ideas you come across at work. This is a natural.

Big guy MK, are you there? Give this guy a spread in Classic Style!

Marty M.

Vendor
Today's outfit.

Darn, I forgot my pocket watch today. Oh well, here's today's outfit:
Suit - CVP made of wool/cashmere blend gray plaid.
Shirt - Blue herringbone w/french cuffs.
Tie - Black/tan paisley silk.
Pocket Square - Gray/tan paisley.
Watch - Black Movado.
Shoes - Allen Edmonds black lace ups.
Cuff Links - '60's Roman soldier?

Thanks for viewing.
Marty Mathis

P1010334.jpg

P1010324.jpg

P1010336.jpg

Patrick Murtha said:
Today, a symphony in grey:

Dark grey single-breasted three-button ventless suit
Paul Fredrick medium grey spread collar shirt with subtle line pattern, barrel cuffs
Grey-green geometric pattern tie
Silver tie bar, straight across
Ashear multi-color pocket square, puff fold (black portion visible)
Black braces
Swiss Army watch with black band
Burberry cologne
Jos. A. Bank dark grey argyle (very subtle) OTC socks
Alen Edmonds black Cody kiltie tassel mocs with woven leather insets
Nautica black double-breasted topcoat
Black leather gloves
Dark green plaid scarf
Churchill grey fedora with black band, 2.5" brim, company pin, late 1980s vintage (new Ebay pick-up)

My Birman cat Claire, who has grey tones in her fur, is purring vigorous approval of this outfit as I type. :)

This sounds pretty cool. I like the innovation.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Marty M. said:
Hey Dinerman, looks like you received your leather. Looks like it fits well. How is it? How's the fit of the sleeves? Great looking jacket.
Marty Mathis

Great quality, thick, heavy, creaking, rich smelling leathery goodness.
It fits great, good sleeve length. I love that it's not black. Anyone can have a black leather coat if they want, but how many people have a dark green one like this? The buckle system will take a bit of getting used to, though.

Here's a better picture from an art show opening which I was at this evening. Changed clothes for it, but kept the coat and hat.
IMG_55581.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

Who plants bamboo in a lobby?! Honestly.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
CharlestonBows said:
This sounds pretty cool. I like the innovation.

Thank you kindly! I wake up in the morning with strange notions sometimes. One day I was all solid blues in different shades (navy suit, French blue shirt, royal blue tie, and so on). Another time I experimentally mixed pinstripes (in the suit), horizontal stripes (in the shirt), slant stripes (in the tie), crosshatching (in the pocket square), and zigzagging (in the socks). Not recommending this sort of thing to everyone, by any means, but these are fun outfits to try to pull off.

Marty M. said:
Darn, I forgot my pocket watch today. Oh well, here's today's outfit:
Suit - CVP made of wool/cashmere blend gray plaid.
Shirt - Blue herringbone w/french cuffs.
Tie - Black/tan paisley silk.
Pocket Square - Gray/tan paisley.
Watch - Black Movado.
Shoes - Allen Edmonds black lace ups.
Cuff Links - '60's Roman soldier?

Thanks for viewing.
Marty Mathis

P1010334.jpg

P1010324.jpg

P1010336.jpg

There is a lot here to appreciate, and think folks around here need to really take the time to study this academically. It's something that doesn't pop, it's not vulgar, it doesn't knock the eyes out. It's a truly well-dressed set up. Noticable because of its elegance, it's style, not it's power. I really, really like the subtle elegance of this. Very clean, very rich, lots of color layers. I could never devise this combination myself, I'm just not sartorially mature enough.

It reminds me a lot of what my late great grandfather used to wear every day when I was a kid. Incidentally, he was also a tailor & clothier, starting in 1921, not long after he got back from serving in WWI in Europe, at age 22 until he passed at 93. It's what I strive to achieve everyday.

P.S. -- I believe it's Greek, not Roman. ;)

Patrick Murtha said:
... Another time I experimentally mixed pinstripes (in the suit), horizontal stripes (in the shirt), slant stripes (in the tie), crosshatching (in the pocket square), and zigzagging (in the socks). ...

That's advance maneuvers, buddy! I like!

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Patrick Murtha said:
Mike, if we shopped your photos around, we could get you modeling gigs for the dust jackets of retro-noir detective novels and mystery magazines. In fact, if you have any mystery fiction writing talents of your own, we could so market you. Trust me on this. The next Mickey Spillane, a working detective out of Mobile. Think of all the ideas you come across at work. This is a natural.

Big guy MK, are you there? Give this guy a spread in Classic Style!

Thanks, buddy. I'm earning a retro-noir paycheck so you might be on to something;)

Marty M.

Vendor
Thank you.

melbournian said:
Wow, Marty, that whole outfit is fantastic, but I especially love the colour and pattern of the tie. Beautifully photographed too :)

Thank you. But as far as the Beautifully photographed is concerned, that's purely accidental lol .
Marty Mathis

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
:eusa_clap Very nice Paddy!

Marty, my husband simply MUST get a job where he can dress like you every day! ;)

Diner, the bamboo is a hoot! Great coat! I really like that hat on you lately...
Nikki

Artistic representation in the Greek style, not the Roman style, is what I was meaning.

My point was that Troy was essentially carbon copy of the Greek city-state, in the form of Athens, etc. And Americans & Europeans did share similar military technology and style, like the Greeks & their enemies/neighbors/allies (depending on the time), too. ;)

Let's just call him Hermes (or Mercury), and since he's the fella in charge of commerce in general, we'll say that it's giving Marty good fortune in his trade!! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner