Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
This place just gets better and better...I spend more time reading all the threads and trying to catch up then I do talking on the phone now. lol!

HD, lovely work! Do you do angels?? I would love one!

My hobbies include poetry and reading. To old for softball anymore but played since I was knee high to a grasshopper and church leagues when I got older. Also my children, they are my biggest passion. :D
I have really really wanted to take up ball room dancing but just haven't found the right partner..[huh]:rolleyes:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Hello, new to the forum, (as you can tel from my post count :) ). I really enjoy sports car racing. I have an older Porsche that I track. Which means I do performance driving on race tracks. Not racing at all but certainly driving at top speeds. I've driven Watkins Glen in NY, Lime ROck Park in Ct, and Mid-Ohio in Oh. A really fun hobby. The pic is from driving at the Glen.
Very nice!

Killick

One of the Regulars
I have really really wanted to take up ball room dancing but just haven't found the right partner..[huh]:rolleyes:

I worked with a fellow in Pa. that ballroom danced. I heard he was quite good at it. Always had some cloths and shoes in his car.
Myself I'd love to learn do dance to swing music. But alas I have the rhythm of a house plant. :(

Feraud

Bartender
Every year or so I find myself picking up new hobbies. The last couple of years I've been interesting in leatherwork and paracord knotting.

Here is a motorcycle fork tool bag I made a year or so ago.
It's very simple, there is no tooling or braided edges.

image.jpg

And a Monkey's Fist keychain.

image.jpg

What are you hobbyists working on?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As always, I'm fixing things. Right now a Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio is disassembled on my kitchen table waiting for me to finish putting it back together. Once this is done, my great-grandparents' 1911 Sonora Chime mantel clock is due for its biennial stripdown, cleaning and lubrication. And after that I need to see to the squeak in the washing machine gearbox. By the time I finish with all that, the spring driving season will hopefully be here, and the Plodge is due for an oil change, a grease job, and I need to clean up some gague wiring issues behind the dashboard.

I don't do as much sewing as I used to because of my deteriorating vision, but I also need a couple of new dresses for work. So that, too, is on the agenda.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I enjoy HO scale model railroading. When I first got into it as an adult, I just wanted to model one train: the Ashland Limited (Chicago and North Western) of the 1950's. It soon became apparent that was no simple task: the consist changed roughly every six months. And then, the need for steam locomotives got me into the Pennsylvania Railroad. It clearly has become a lot larger of a collection than I intended-- but I've been a good boy: no purchases of new equipment for over a year, and the "must haves" now are very few. I'm spending my money on fedoras these days.

This vid was taken of my Broadway Limited train (April, 1953 consist) that I run at a club where I am a member. It's a lot bigger of a layout than I could ever afford to build, or have the space to build, in my home. Approx. 10.5 scale miles of mainline (most of it double track), several freight yards, two passenger terminals, etc. We can run trains on either analog (DC) or digital (DCC).[video=youtube;Z5szz6e_dLo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5szz6e_dLo[/video]

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Ballroom dancing is a wonderful pastime, if you are serious about learning, get yourself along to a reputable dance school, don't worry initially about a regular partner. The procedure for most schools is for couples to change partners. The instructor will say: "Ladies, move on one partner please." That has two immediate advantages, the first is you become more fluent at your dance skill and less shy, so during a social event a gentleman that you might have practiced with asks you to dance, you already feel that you know him. The second advantage is, if there's more of one gender than another, everybody still gets to dance. Let's say that there are two more ladies than gents. The dance training is taught with couples in a large circle, the two singletons could be placed at twelve & six o'clock within the circle, so each time a lady, "moves on one please," somebody else becomes the singleton.

You will learn at least ten disciplines, if you include Latin. Then there are all the variations of jive, there's Salsa, Lambada, Balboa, Argentine Tango, Charleston & so many more. Other dances you might enjoy have no need for a partner, they have various names like The Stroll, The Jitterbug Stroll, The Shim-Sham and, again, many, many more. My wife and I have been dance partners since 1966, (and married since 1968.) Dancing has given us huge enjoyment, and a huge circle of dance friends. Go on, go for it. And you too, like Virginia Harvey, could be competing when you make your 100th birthday.

[video=youtube;mfAGuJQXEIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfAGuJQXEIQ[/video]

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I'm a collector, mostly. I collect Halloween masks, rocks, knives, hats (of course! ;) ) and vintage Jurassic Park items.

SGTROCK

One of the Regulars
My hobby is my full time job Military Airfield Manager, just got my 20 year letter last night but can't imagine doing anything else

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just realized something while watching ChiTownScion's video! It would do me no good to win even one of the big Lotteries, say $100,000,000. With all the hobbies I am into now, and all the ones I could get into with that money, even quitting work, there would just not be enough hours in the day!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Right now my hobby is suffering with the work on the Queen Anne house! I am working on three motorcycles as I can, hoping to have them running in the next month. I also have a friend trying to get me into radio control sail boats. They are fun, and relaxing. Then I have another friend who was showing me the latest RC airplanes with safe technology, to prevent crashes. All I need is two more hobbies!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I just realized something while watching ChiTownScion's video! It would do me no good to win even one of the big Lotteries, say $100,000,000. With all the hobbies I am into now, and all the ones I could get into with that money, even quitting work, there would just not be enough hours in the day!

I decided that if Fate's Fickle Finger ever favors me as such, the last thing that I'd want to do is build the ultimate train layout, a la Rod Stewart. For me, the fun is playing with others: running on a railroad with many other engineers.

When my wife asks, "How many trains do you need??" I usually reply, "How many wives do I need? None, really: I acquire these things to enrich my life...but my real needs are very few."

The alternative answer is that I really own one train. Couple all of those locomotives and cars together....and it's really only one train. A long one... but one.

I actually think that I'm at the point where I need to acquire very little more in terms of model train gear. Just 2-3 Soo Line passenger GP-9 locomotives, really: that'll be what I need to power my model of the Laker, a train that ran between Chicago and Duluth until 1964. They're not made in the colors I need, and until they are, I'll wait patiently.

Jwag

One of the Regulars
My main hobby is model railroading. I collect MTH and Lionel trains(current made products, not much postwar). I also spend much of my free time railfanning (trainspotting I believe it's called in UK). I'll be trackside with my video camera. I also enjoy history. Mostly the local history of my town and surrounding area. I'm even on the board of directors of the local Industrial History museum. I'm proud to also be the youngest member of the museum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass