Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Paul said:
What would you do if you did not have a hobby, I bet we all know some one who has not got a apparent hobby, So what every your hobby I thing is good going fishing, or collecting anything so what.
Personally I look upon it like this if I did not have a hobby then I would go around the bend, so what is the price for keeping yourself sanity.
The way I look at it that with vintage fashions apart from the history, and having nice things. You can also share your enjoyment with others been able to let it bee seen, which you cannot get with all hobbies.
Also you have to wear something so wearing vintage you may save on not having to buy as many modern clothes, Can any one of you honestly say if you did not have vintage bug then you save money by not spending as much money on modern fashions instead.
If it make you happy then how can you put a price on that.

I absolutely agree with you on the keeping your sanity thing. That's what got me looking for a new hobby to occupy my non-baby time. My problem is I like EVERYTHING.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
My hobby ain't that pricey at first glance, but it adds up. Renting movies. Netflix + local rental stores + the occasional purchase if the DVD is rare enough = 25-35 bucks a week when in season.

GOK

One Too Many
Paul said:
What would you do if you did not have a hobby, I bet we all know some one who has not got a apparent hobby,

Y'know, you're right. I don't think I know anyone right now that doesn't have a hobby in some form or another but I did have an employee once that claimed not to have any hobbies...unless you count watching television. [huh]

So what every your hobby I thing is good going fishing, or collecting anything so what.

Now this has been placed in the OB, I bet we discover that there are people here with some fascinating hobbies....and hopefully some surprising ones too.

Personally I look upon it like this if I did not have a hobby then I would go around the bend, so what is the price for keeping yourself sanity.
<snip> If it make you happy then how can you put a price on that

....And for everything else there's Mastercard! lol

You're right though, Paul - if it makes one feel good and gives pleasure, then why not? Assuming the hobby doesn't leave them or those that depend on them wanting, why shouldn't a person indulge themself?

The way I look at it that with vintage fashions apart from the history, and having nice things. You can also share your enjoyment with others been able to let it bee seen, which you cannot get with all hobbies.

It is such a good feeling to be able to share finds with others, isn't it? Especially when you might be lacking in information about something - chances are, there'll be someone else to fill in the gaps.

Also you have to wear something so wearing vintage you may save on not having to buy as many modern clothes, Can any one of you honestly say if you did not have vintage bug then you save money by not spending as much money on modern fashions instead.

Actually, yes I can. I don't spend a huge amount on vintage wear - mainly because it's not easy to find in my size. I do spend a lot of money on fabric though, so that I can make my own reproduction clothing. I really can say in all honesty that in view of the fact that this is what I have been doing since I was 12, I really wouldn't be spending the money on modern wear instead!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
My real hobby is Civil War reenacting. I can't imagine how much it's cost me in the last ten years, or especially the last four or five that I've really been trying to do authentically.

I'm in the same boat, except my hobby is WWII reenacting. We collected WWII and 1940s items for years before we got started in actual reenacting/living history - we've only been doing that about 2 years. We try to find bargains and are notorious for finding deals - original wings for $15, original M43 jackets for $7 - but still, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and shell out some dough for an item you just *need.* I can't estimate the amount we have spent on original and reproduction items over the past 2 years. I don't want to even try, because it would probably make me quit the hobby! lol

Grace

Vendor
My most expensive hobbies are golf, travelling, and collecting vintage.

My god, greens fees just keep going up! Then you have to get a cart, and beer. Nice clubs are pricey, as are balls (when they end up getting lost all the time).

I have to go on one big vacation a year, and couple small ones. If I can't travel, I will die. Travelling is expensive no matter how you look at it, but thanks to travel sites, it's easy to score a good deal. I found flights from Salt Lake City to Ft. Lauderdale for $250 round trip!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I guess I also have a bit of a designer handbag problem (I know from other threads how some of you feel about these bags!:)) I've bought five in the past year, ooops. I just can't help it, I really think I might have an addiction.

Daisy, don't feel bad! I used to suffer from this addiction as well. At one point I think I had around 10 Kate Spades sitting in my closet. And that isn't including other bags. I just adore them! The styling and quality of an expensive handbag just can't be beat. The last designer bag I bought was a Dooney & Bourke wristlet that was very inexpensive. I actually ended up selling off several of my bags, because I realized I wasn't using them and it was just costing money. Now I tend to look for vintage bags with the occasional designer one thrown in. I guess I could say I "got over" my addiction... but in reality it was probably just replaced with my vintage/WWII addiction. lol

CharlieH.

One Too Many
All of me hobbies carry a beastly price tag, including my clothes (to my parents, that's a hobby at least).

However, I always find a way to do things on the cheap...

(This used to be in the powder room, aye?)

Novella

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
My hobby ain't that pricey at first glance, but it adds up. Renting movies. Netflix + local rental stores + the occasional purchase if the DVD is rare enough = 25-35 bucks a week when in season.

Such a rewarding hobby though!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Sunny - my vote is YES. It is so very worth it. You really have recreated the past faithfully and beautifully.

It seems that everything I want to do is pricey. The Fedora Lounge forces the spending of money itself as I see something every ratsin-fratsin day that I WANT. From leather jackets to fountain pens, shoes to books, hats to neckties!

The Fedora Lounge - World's Most Pricey Hobby! ;)

My most expensive hobby would have to be doll collecting and restoration. I can buy the dolls cheeper because I am buying ones that need to be saved from the landfill. But then the supplies, airbrush, paints, tools, fabric etc all adds up. I try to offset the cost by doing work for others but somehow I still end up spending more on dolls for me, and not having time to fix them.:rolleyes:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Amelie said:
OH MY :eek: I am so happy that school is so much less expensive here!! :eek: It's about 2500$ a year, plus books. I would probably be dying if I had to pay 30 000$ :eek:

It's cause I want to spend my last year overseas, I get to pay international student rates:rage:

Mojito

One Too Many
All my hobbies seem to wind up expensive, but I regard them as an investment in my sanity!

- Scuba diving - Kit and travel. Not only is gear and maintenance not cheap, but the travel is expensive. I do local dives, but have also travelled to places as remote as Yap in Micronesia and the middle of the Red Sea. No regrets, however...I've seen mantas swirling overhead, swam with whale sharks, and watched a hammerhead play tag with a gray whaler while I hovered over a 100-year old coral festooned wreck.

- Books - I have groaning shelves full of books on maritime history, Antarctic exploration, the Pre-Raphaelites, Ancient Egypt etc etc. Many of these I've had to order from overseas.

- Horse riding - I gave up the horses some years ago (no time), but I may as well have just fed the dear things $100 notes while I had them. Horses, agistment, tack, feed, competition entries, etc etc...but oh, was it fun while it lasted!

- Running - Cheap, you think? It is probably the least expensive. But I need orthotics, and have to keep a real eye on footwear. Good supportive undergarments and wicking fabric isn't cheap either. And then there are (sadly) the physio and podiatrist bills. Plus - and I hate to admit it - I am a bit of a Go-Go Gadget Girl, and love my speed/distance GPS set, MP3 player, Heart Rate Monitor etc etc. Then there are all the other fitness indulgences. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I seem to find ways of making it so.

- Travel - Good for the soul. Not for the pocket. This is a wonderful, exotic, diverse world, and I want to see as much of it as possible before I die. And while I've happily slept in wooden huts in the mountains of Thailand and a few backpacker hostels, every now and then a bit of luxury doesn't go astray and we need a night at the Las Vegas Bellagio or one of the old Grand Hotels of Europe.

- Collections - Ouch. Vintage clothing aside, there's Art Deco objects to be had, both originals and quality repros. And my Michal Negrin jewelery and clothes. And assorted otehr bits and bobs.

- Fish keeping - Much "scaled" (no pun intended) down these days, but still have to keep the Australian and PNG Rainbowfish in the manner to which they are accustomed.

- Cocktails - the fresh limes alone cost a bundle. Add in the shelves of spirits, liquers and mixers, and both vintage and new barware, and it adds up. Fortunately people keep giving me cocktail books and gift packs of exotic liquers as an easy birthday or Christmas present (in the last few months I've had plenty of Sapphire Gin, Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, Butterscotch Schnappes, Cherry Brandy, Benadictine, Absolut Vodka etc given to me, packaged with books, drinking games, shooter glasses and so on).

I can't say I begrudge any of it, although I'd be much better off financially if I gave any of these pastimes the heave-ho. But they do give colour and excitement to life, and many of these interests are connected with friendships that I cherish.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
My hobby: Novelty HATS

Right now I am up to 30 something. Every hat has cost around $20 or more. It adds up, believe me.

I've taken a break from it since I bought a $100+ hat. haha

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm trying to save up for some antique reproduction firearms so I can get into Cowboy Action Shooting, but... those things aren't cheap, nor the gear like holsters and boots and whatnot.

-Viola

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Ummm...

How about:

Vintage Wines (I'm partial to 82's, 90's, 93's, and 95's, as well as anything Burgundian).

Fountain Pens.

Soccer Coaching (the team always needs new gear, and the licensing and travel costs add up quickly).

Oh, and hats. 10+ in the last 6 months. It adds up. :eek:

That said, I wouldn't give up any of my hobbies/addictions. I'm fortunate to be able to afford my tastes.

Cheers,

RC:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I thought I had an expensive hobby, when I did horseriding! (And that is expensive!)
Untill I my collegue told me about his hobby: Sailing!

He had figured out how much it cost him every time he set foot on the deck, to sail somewhere. According to him, instead of sailing, you might just aswell stand in a cold shower tearing 50$ bills to pieces. Thats what its like!

So now I only collect watches! (Rolex, IWC etc...):rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy