Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

Sunny

One Too Many
Wow, I'm blushing! Your kind comments about my dress are very appreciated. It's currently my favorite, but boy! I've put a lot of work into it, both to design/make it and then keep it wearable. See the patch on the right side in the color picture for just a hint of what I mean.

scotrace, thank you for the vote of confidence. I was a little nervous since I came across so dour in the tintype (and aren't too ravishing in the color one either), but you've recognized the goal: recreating the past. My ancestors probably weren't Civil War Glamour Girls, either, so why should I be? ;)

Fleur De Guerre said:
I knew absolutely nothing about the American civil war until I read a book last week called "The Widow of the South" which was a fiction based on a real lady in Franklin. It was really fascinating, and sad about how brutal that battle was. I think you look really great and seeing your pictures has brought the heroine of the story to life for me!

Sounds like a very interesting book! I'm really honored to have helped make it more real for you. That's why I do it. :) And yes, it was a very, very tough battle. My family went to the big Franklin reenactment a couple years ago without me - college, y'know - so I don't think I've ever been there. (It's only a two-day drive. :eek: ) However, some friends told me what happened at an event back in the '90s. Their boys (Confederates) were defending the fortifications, and of course they ran out of ammunition. They were so caught up in the action that they were throwing mud and anything else at the advancing Federals - pure desperation. I can't imagine how it would've been in real life, if they had that experience just at a reenactment.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Like many of y'all, I have hobbies (or interests) that would quickly get away from my ability to pay for them if I wasn't careful. The money I could spend on shoes alone from Ebay is astounding. And there are any number of things I'd love to have that I just haven't been able to afford.

But I've realized something (and this isn't all that profound): Most of what I think I need, I don't. Aside from the basics of life, material things (and even the enjoyment we get from acquiring them) are superfluous and short-lived. For example: I've wanted an iPod ever since the things came out, for over five years now. At times, I've wanted one really badly. I just haven't been able to afford one. But now, after five years of wanting and not getting, I've realized I really don't need it after all, and it's not a big deal to me whether I ever get one or not. Same goes for that perfect vintage hat, bespoke suits and shoes, and on down the list. If I'm not able to be content with what I have already--which is far more than I deserve--it's pretty foolish of me to think that more stuff or a new hobby will make me happy.

Sorry for the sermon. :rolleyes:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sewing. *sigh*
My one consolation is that for the price of all the goodies you get to actually wear what you made. So it's kinda like paying for a wardrobe and a hobby in one. But it's totally addictive. I have way too much fabric and way too many patterns to ever get rid of in my lifetime, so I'm constantly trying to downsize, but then I use the paypal "monopoly" money to get a better pattern. lol
Costuming is the most expensive hobby of mine. If I added up how much some of my costumes actually cost over a long period of time I might have a heart attack. Luckily the big ones I work on over a long period so you don't notice the expense as much outside the actual purchasing of fabric.
For example, my 1700's robe de francaise- about 20 yards of silk dupioni at $7 yd + muslin for lining at $1 a yard, plus 1 yard trim at $6 yd, plus 120 yds trim at $1, plus a pattern for around $20 plus abt 2 yards of boning at about $2 yd, plus 1 yard hook and eye tape at $2 yd, plus a few big spools of Gutterman thread at abt $3 each, plus 2 yards lining at $4 yd, plus 2 bags of ribbon flowers at $5 bag, plus rhinestone trim at $3, plus 1 bag of stuffing (and I have no idea how much it was). BUT I made it over a 6 month period of time, so it certainly kept me busy! And if I bought it premade it certainly would be about the $2,000 mark.
Photo by a friend and carrying my train because it had just rained. eep!
70162337.xEnND6VE.MA17.JPG

Lauren

GOK said:
But for banquets, special events and non-standard games, it often costs me a small fortune to get kitted out! I made an Italian renaissance gown/headdress for one event last year, which ended up costing me £120! And the event was rubbish too! lol I must actually get some photos done.

Picture!! Pleeeeassse!! And your outfit is too cool! I'm putting together Elizabeth's pirate costume from Pirates 2 and am terrified at starting to look at weapons :eek: From what I've seen they aren't cheap.

Sunny said:
P1010032cropped-1.jpg

Is it worth it? lol

Wonderful! And yes, totally worth it :) You look perfect!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh my goodness, Lauren, Sunny those are amazing dresses! I wish I could sew that well.:rolleyes: You both look absolutely lovely!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Belly dance has certainly cost me a pretty penny over these past 14 years, but happily within the past year (yes, that's year: solo) I have been bringing in much more than I've been spending, thanks to finally being an established performer and starting teaching. It also has to do with the fact that I now have accumulated an amazing wardrobe of costumes and props, which do eventually pay for themselves (OK, my sword hasn't paid for itself yet, but the other stuff has, lol!).

Burlesque (performance) is a beautiful, sparkly addiction, and I doubt that I'll make that money back soon. I have a theory that when a woman reaches the point of having a significant amount of disposable income, The Powers That Be move to prevent a financial stockpile by quickening the desire to get into burlesque, with the accompanying Swarovsky rhinestone addiction. Plus my standards for costumes is just too high to be "financially viable" for the going pay rates *sigh*.

Travel is wonderful, and costly. I'd do it more if I had more vacation time, though.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Knitting!

I know it doesn't sound like much--I mean, how much can wool cost? Try $15 to $50 a ball. Just buying the yarn for a sweater can put me back $100 and that's before the hours of work just to make the fabric and then sewing it together. But knitting is almost meditative when you get a certain roll to it.

And of course the love of all things vintage. And my desire to collect it. But I have a feeling everyone here is in that club.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Lauren said:
Costuming is the most expensive hobby of mine. If I added up how much some of my costumes actually cost over a long period of time I might have a heart attack. Luckily the big ones I work on over a long period so you don't notice the expense as much outside the actual purchasing of fabric.
For example, my 1700's robe de francaise- about 20 yards of silk dupioni at $7 yd + muslin for lining at $1 a yard, plus 1 yard trim at $6 yd, plus 120 yds trim at $1, plus a pattern for around $20 plus abt 2 yards of boning at about $2 yd, plus 1 yard hook and eye tape at $2 yd, plus a few big spools of Gutterman thread at abt $3 each, plus 2 yards lining at $4 yd, plus 2 bags of ribbon flowers at $5 bag, plus rhinestone trim at $3, plus 1 bag of stuffing (and I have no idea how much it was). BUT I made it over a 6 month period of time, so it certainly kept me busy! And if I bought it premade it certainly would be about the $2,000 mark.

I totally agree, it does help that it takes a long time to finish them. $40 here $40 there doesn't seem like anything and the initial fabric purchase seems the largest, but if you had to buy the rest of the supplies at once it would be crazy. And if you have to count the wigs, shoes, and underwear .... meep.

Where do you get your trim? Those prices seem really good. I hate trim... it's so expensive, because even if something is only $1 but you know you're going to need 200yds of it... My last one I started with 2 yards at 15/yd, then 1.5 yards at 36. Then I decided I couldn't afford the sparkly things anymore and just trimmed everything in fake fur. That was about $20/yd, but I only needed two yards and then I cut it into enough bias to cover everything. Heck, glue-on plastic rhinestones are crazy. Mine ran $50 on sale, and they only fill a large cereal bowl, and I can't seem to find them cheaper anywhere.

Lauren

I am a total trim whore and i admit to it. lol
I have two favorite trim places. one is the Button and Trim Expo downtown LA in the garment district, and the other is http://www.cheeptrims.com That one you buy by the roll and they have a $65 minimum, but when you're doing large gowns it's totally worth it! and they have some AMAZING chenille rococo trims that look exactly like they were out of the 18th century :D
Seriously, I think trim makes or breaks a garment, but I wish it weren't so expensive!

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Dottie, I'd love to take up knitting. As much as I've been moaning and groaning to myself lately about the buttonholes on my brothers' white shirts, I really like handsewing for the very same reason. It used to be pretty decent when I'd watch a movie, but now I listen to Old Time Radio when I sew. Indulging in two hobbies at once! I can't lose! :p

Come to think of it, OTR is probably the least-expensives of my hobbies. I downloaded and listened to nearly 2000 episodes without paying a dime. Unless you count the tuition that enabled a college LAN connection. Heh, just overhead.

MB5

One of the Regulars
I build and collect replica movie/television props and costumes, as well as some from books.

Then there is the ever-growing collection of books of reference material for above hobby.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I knew absolutely nothing about the American civil war until I read a book last week called "The Widow of the South" which was a fiction based on a real lady in Franklin. It was really fascinating, and sad about how brutal that battle was. I think you look really great and seeing your pictures has brought the heroine of the story to life for me!

Ok this is a bit off topic but I just had to respond to this. I actually live about 15 minutes south of Franklin TN where that book takes place. My house is literally 5 minutes fro Rippavilla plantation where another part of the book takes place. I was talking to one of the docents about this book and they all claimed that it was a disrespectful inaccurate representation of the families involved! I have this thing about people getting all upset about historical FICTION, but you can't aruge with southerners. Especially when it comes to the 'war between the states'. Let me tell you though it's a totally different experiece to read the book when you drive by those locations daily! :)
Nash

Sunny

One Too Many
Nashoba said:
Ok this is a bit off topic but I just had to respond to this. I actually live about 15 minutes south of Franklin TN where that book takes place. My house is literally 5 minutes fro Rippavilla plantation where another part of the book takes place. I was talking to one of the docents about this book and they all claimed that it was a disrespectful inaccurate representation of the families involved! I have this thing about people getting all upset about historical FICTION, but you can't aruge with southerners. Especially when it comes to the 'war between the states'. Let me tell you though it's a totally different experiece to read the book when you drive by those locations daily! :)
Nash

Now I'm really curious. How is it inaccurate? Just in how the people were used, or period inauthenticity, or in relation to the battle?

moustache

Practically Family
My most expensive hobbies are:Wristwatches and fountain pens.
The hobby taking the most of my time:piano and classical music.
I listen to both cd's,iPods and live concerts along with the scores(if i indeed have them).This has been my passion now for 25 years.
I also play piano and read voraciously about composers,music in general,and history.Throw in 18th to 20th century Literature and thats my time consumer.

JD

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
I spent a few years restoring a 1966 Austin Healy 3000, a british sports car. After a while it occured to me that the hobby wasn't restoring the car, it was writing checks !!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
moustache said:
My most expensive hobbies are:Wristwatches and fountain pens.
The hobby taking the most of my time:piano and classical music.
I listen to both cd's,iPods and live concerts along with the scores(if i indeed have them).This has been my passion now for 25 years.
I also play piano and read voraciously about composers,music in general,and history.Throw in 18th to 20th century Literature and thats my time consumer.

JD
Wow, playing the piano is a wonderful hobby to have. I was at The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston today in their music room, admiring the small collection of "very old" pianos that they had on display. They were so ornate and beautiful, I could just picture Mozart sitting at one and composing a masterpiece on it. I'd like to hear you play sometime. I took piano lessons when I was a kid, but you know kids, they can be rebellious and sometimes want to do the exact opposite of what mom and dad want them to do. As soon as I was allowed, I quit. I can still play a little, but wouldn't do it in public. I always wanted to learn to play the violin, ever since I was a kid. For some reason, my parents didn't allow me to. I think it was because they already owned a baby grand, and they would have had to buy me a violin!

I forgot to write down my Fountain Pen hobby. I just love fountain pens and all different kinds of ink. I just started this hobby about six months ago, but have learned quickly that it is not only addicting, but can be quite pricey. I have spent a little too much time on-line searching for the best prices on pens that I like. I just wish I had more letters to write, so I can use them more often. I even stopped paying my bills on line, just so I could use a fountain pen to write cheques!

Amelie

A-List Customer
fountain pens are stupidly expensive in America in comparison of the prices that we find in Europe. I have a reasonable amount of them, but the ink itself is sooo expensive for nothing... I am taking 100% of my notes in classes with fountain pens, so I count myself lucky to have friends in France whom can send me what I need if I ask it :)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I really envy you folks and your fountain pens. I used to take all my school notes with a spanish Inoxcrom pen. Alas, it didn't survive more than a year on account of the rough environment... and my flimsy shirt pockets.

Amelie

A-List Customer
CharlieH. said:
I really envy you folks and your fountain pens. I used to take all my school notes with a spanish Inoxicrom pen. Alas, it didn't survive more than a year on account of the rough environment... and my flimsy shirt pockets.

I really like the inoxcrom ones. They're really not that expensive, and unlike the waterman ones, it's verry "soft" when you're writing (I don't know if any of you understand what I mean, but the Waterman tends to be more edgy)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24