Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

Connery

One Too Many
I picked up a birdhouse full of bees on Tuesday and two mentors came and helped me hive the bees yesterday. Here are some photos.

The birdhouse with my home hives...
IMG_0049.jpg

What it looked like when we opened it up!
IMG_0050-e1327071538418.jpg

Thank you very much! These are great pictures.:)

Propeller Planes

New in Town
My hobbies in general

1) Photography - Main one, have a modest collection of camera bodies and lenses (I'm a Canon user), surprisingly once you purchase the equipment, being digital, photography isn't a particularly expensive hobby over a period of time.
2) Flying and Aviation - I took up flying with the intention of getting a pilots license. In the end, loved it so much, it is now my career. I also visit alot of airshows and museums across the country and photograph aircraft as well.
3) Road tripping and travelling - Rather than go on expensive overseas holidays, I much rather get in my car and drive across the rural countryside of my state of Australia and check out small towns and old buildings and museums.
4) Model Railroading - Was quite into it in my youth, until I moved out of home and lived at University for a few years. I still collect models, but the goal of building a grand model railroad will be a few years away yet.
5) Collecting old airline bags - A friend (Who's a flight attendant) gave me an airline bag as a present. That pretty much triggered my interest in old airlines and histories. Have a modest collection that's slowly building up right now.
6) Vintage stuff - Which encompasses everything, from attending open days at museums, to vintage car displays, historical open houses, vintage cocktail nights, etc.
7) Golf - Self-explanatory

A few more on the list which I've dabbled in the past. The ones above are my main ones.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Tatum, that's so neat! My neighbors keep bees, and I love eating honey made from the clover my very own neighborhood :).

I'd say collecting old things is a serious hobby for me; I never buy at straightforward retail prices, but snoop around auctions, dumpsters, estate sales, backwoods antique shops, etc.

I also love horseback riding, playing my li'l 1940s Electromuse lap steel guitar, and film photography.

Gromulus

Practically Family
LOL, my wife always refers to my journey through life via my latest hobbies. Too many hobbies and not enough time (or money!).

In order of intensity and resources expended:

Weight-training
Camping/backpacking
Kayaking
Guns/shooting sports
Reading
Model trains ("N" scale)
Cycling (bicycle)
Knife collecting
and..........
Hats

Antje

One Too Many
I got a lot,

dogshowing is my favorite
but also drawing, linoleum cutting, listening music,
watching way too old movies,
collecting Elvis Presley goodies, mmm was that all??

Antje

One Too Many
lineoleum cutting - tell us more Antje, that's got to certainly the most unusual hobby i've heard of.

It's like etsing, you have a piece of Linoleum, and you make a design, you cut It out of the linoleum with special little knives, (we call this guts in dutch)
when the lino is finished you have to put ink over it and print it, so you can print your own artwork several times

I collect everything vintage. I'm a bit of a car guy, station wagons, in particular. I also am nuts about music and have a large collection of oldies and classic country albums, and 8-tracks.

Antje

One Too Many
I will post soon something for you,
Dan mr E.C Escher used a technique that is similar, but way more difficult, instead of lino's he made woodcarvings and gravueres and he made Litho's that are carvings in stone, but both things need to be carved and then printed,
he has done amazing work

Just got back into scale modeling after a break of several years... First projects are a model of a professor from my college days's Boss Bird back when he ran the local interceptor squadron and a proposed-but never-built CH-53E-derived next-generation Pave Low black-ops helicopter (which is actually the "host hardware" for an Artificial Intelligence character I'm writing on a fiction forum).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just got back into scale modeling after a break of several years... First projects are a model of a professor from my college days's Boss Bird back when he ran the local interceptor squadron and a proposed-but never-built CH-53E-derived next-generation Pave Low black-ops helicopter (which is actually the "host hardware" for an Artificial Intelligence character I'm writing on a fiction forum).

Diamondback, haven't seen you around in awhile!

Among my hobbies I count reading, drawing, building models, collecting coins, pocket knives, militaria, vintage toys, and watches -- particularly Russian watches (currently my more active area of collecting). In fact I would also like to learn watchmaking.

My growing collection of Russian watches
DSCF5129.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Among my hobbies I count reading, drawing, building models, collecting coins, pocket knives, militaria, vintage toys, and watches -- particularly Russian watches (currently my more active area of collecting). In fact I would also like to learn watchmaking.

My growing collection of Russian watches
DSCF5129.jpg

Nice! I've got a couple of Russian-made Sekondas, but I'm most fond of my military Vostoks. Fantastic watches, and not excessively priced either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21