Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your unreleased dvd wants?

Feraud

Bartender
Are there any movies in particular that you want to add to you dvd collection but cannot? I have been waiting patiently for particular movies to be released on the dvd format.

Here are a few to start the conversation..

The Great Waldo Pepper
A pilot who missed combat in WWI barnstorms looking for the "glory days" he never had.

The Fallen Idol
A young son of a diplomat spends time with the butler in an English embassy. The view of adult life from the boy's point of view is poignant and effectively used by Steven Spielberg years later.

Grand Central Murder
A Van Heflin "whodunit". I only saw this one time on late night television but remember liking it.

The Lighthorsemen
A WWI era film about the Australian Light Horse charge of Beersheba. The story focuses more on a young Australians desire to join the Light Horse than an overall view of the service but a decent picture overall. The ending is great.

The List of Adrian Messenger
A mystery/thriller from John Huston. The names on a list are being crossed off as each is killed. Spot the actor in heavy makeup disguise if you can.

Secret of the Incas
Charlton Heston is Harry Steele, an adventuring archaeologist who seeks Incan treasure.

For the longest time I wanted the theater version of Blade Runner on dvd. I was not interested in the director's cut with the unicorn scene and voiceover removed. A friend was able to get me a dvd copy from laserdisk.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Are there any movies in particular that you want to add to you dvd collection but cannot? I have been waiting patiently for particular movies to be released on the dvd format.

For the longest time I wanted the theater version of Blade Runner on dvd. I was not interested in the director's cut with the unicorn scene and voiceover removed. A friend was able to get me a dvd copy from laserdisk.

Yes. The original Blade Runner was way better than that so-called director's cut thing. They did an almost perfect job of ruining a good movie with that. :mad:
So the original is not readily available on DVD? Bummer! :(

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Yes. The original Blade Runner was way better than that so-called director's cut thing. They did an almost perfect job of ruining a good movie with that. :mad:
So the original is not readily available on DVD? Bummer! :(

Whoa. Whoa. Disagreed. Director's Cut is gold.

I want the Original Star Wars Trilogy DVDs w/o the new edits or Special Edition additions.

Feraud

Bartender
Jack Scorpion said:
Whoa. Whoa. Disagreed. Director's Cut is gold.
Dare I say a gold colored dog mess? :D [huh]
Someone should quickly get a Blade Runner thread going before this gets ugly! ;)

I agree about the original Star Wars trilogy tho'. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't think there's a snowball's chance that any of these will ever get DVD release -- even though many of them did get out on VHS. But for what it's worth I'd like to see --

"Sunnyside Up" -- Fox musical from 1929 with Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell, and one of the most enjoyable of the early talkies. Had an outrageous Multicolor musical number featuring wild Eskimo girls stripping to bathing suits and writhing around on the floor, but that scene survives only in black and white. The negative for the film was destroyed in the disastrous Fox vault fire of 1937, and all that survives so far are blurry dupes -- but if anything better ever surfaces, I'd love to see a restoration.

"King Of Jazz" -- 1930 Technicolor musical revue with Paul Whiteman's orchestra and a slew of Universal contract players. Good quality prints exist on this, and it desperately needs a proper restoration. The VHS release was pretty chewed up, and they monkeyed with the color too much.

"Follow Thru" -- 1930 Paramount musical, also in Technicolor, which was restored by UCLA from the original negative. It's never been released on video due to confusion over who exactly owns the rights, but I do have a -- um -- bootleg copy, and that just makes me want to see a legitimate release even more.

A Wheeler and Woolsey boxed set -- They made a lot of really punk films over their career, but they also had some gems. "Rio Rita," (1929), "The Cuckoos" (1930), Peach O' Reno (1931), "Girl Crazy" (1932), "Diplomaniacs" (1933), and "Hips Hips Hooray" (1934) would be well worth a set. I'd even volunteer to do the commentary!

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
I don't think there's a snowball's chance that any of these will ever get DVD release -- even though many of them did get out on VHS. But for what it's worth I'd like to see --
I have recently come to the realization that remakes do serve a function. They usually bring about a release of the original on dvd!

This fact is the only good thing about the King Kong remake. I believe All The Kings Men was recently released on dvd due to the Sean Penn film arriving soon.

Hang in there LizzieMaine, it just might happen. :D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mel Brooks "Robin Hood: Men in Tights".They have it in a box set but I already have 90% of what is in the box set. I just want the one.
Also two Tom Selleck films I want released to DVD, "High Road to China" and "Lassiter".

Cheers!

Dan

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
There are many

I would like to see William Powell's silent films put on DVD. At least a box set of his Philo Vance films.
I agree about Grand Central Murder. I'm glad I have it on VHS.
I think we have a chance for these movies to be released. I had hoped for Dark Corner and Somewhere in the Night and they both came out on DVD recently.
I had thought that King of Jazz was released on DVD recently also.[huh]
I'm sure there are many more I want but can't think of them.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Haversack

One Too Many
Aside from wanting to see more Lubitsch films and the early sound adventure movies of Ronald Coleman released on DVD, the only film I've been really been wanting to see come out is the 1956 Technicolor version of _The Vagabond King_. Otherwise, the 1971 film of _Waterloo_ and the upcoming release of the second Bogart set with all three versions of _The Maltese Falcon_, _Across the Pacific_, and _Passage To Marseille_ have satisfied my unissued movie itch.

Haversack.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I thought GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 was part of the Busby Berkeley box set.

FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (1975) Restored and in it's original aspect ratio.

STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND (1955) Jimmy Stewart. Since THE FBI STORY is out, maybe there's hope for this one, too.

LOVE CRAZY (1941) Powell/Loy

I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940) More Powell/Loy

I want a film that will never be commercially released on DVD, because it is in the public domain ...

Vittorio De Sica's 1948 masterpiece of Italian Neorealism: "Ladri di Biciclette" ("The Bicycle Thief"). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

Yeah, I got it through Netflix last year. Hadn't seen it since college. His other masterpiece 'Umberto D' is also on DVD, but I have yet to come across 'Miracle in Milano'.

I'm waiting for a fully restored version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. There's an eleven minute sequence with Buster Keaton that hasn't been seen since the original release.

I'm still waiting for The Maltese Bippy too. Saw this at Radio City when it was first released. It probably stinks, but I'd still like to watch it. Another that I'm waiting for is Arnold, a 70s picture in which Stella Stevens marries a corpse. Hellzapoppin is finally available at www.thevideobeat.com but I think it a bit dear at $29.00. Video beat has a lot of great stuff, but their titles tend to run high.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner