Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What art is in your home?

Rufus

Practically Family
My Flat is COVERED in Comic book art, as i've collected it for years, and all my mates are comic book artists.

Add that to the fact I draw Tank Girl and Judge Dredd myself now...there's a lot of paper..

Office.jpg

animator

One of the Regulars
Hey ANDE1964 -What Pogo do you have? Post a photo, I'd like to see it. The painting you posted is great, too.

I am an animator (strictly 3D, I can't draw). I know a lot of people who went to SCAD, but I have no personal connection there.

I really got lucky with my birthday Pogo... You might want to check and see if your birthday is still availible. They seem to still have a number of original dailies. If you're interested I can PM you the info from where I got mine.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Mish Mash

My husband, daughter and I do a lot of travel for scuba diving. We started collecting art wherever we go on trips years and years ago. So most of the art we have is specific to where we have been and has memories associated with that trip.

As far as commercial artists go.. we have two Erte's, three Michael Parkes, and a Salvidor Dali.. oh.. and our friend, Anthony Artiaga - who has done the CD coverart for many mainstream bands.. We have a lot of the original prints for those as well.

That is pretty much it.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

If folk art counts, I have a fair amount in my home. It consists mainly of antique North Carolina pottery and antique North Carolina decoys. I also have a few Allan Cheek prints and some federal duck stamp prints.

Obviously, this is not a photo of the art in my house---it is a photo of one of my guitars. In the background, though, you can see a couple of my decoys and some of the pottery.

housephotos020-1.jpg

AF

zaika

One Too Many
i have a lot of soviet propaganda, which i do consider art.

while in st. petersburg in 2001, i bought several prints of well known WWII posters published in Russian. so far i've only had two framed. when i was there in May of 1995, i had the honor of attending the 50th anniversary celebrations there...and purchased a reproduction of this poster. and when i finished college, one of my profs gave me an original print of propaganda poster...i think it's from the early 80's. "Lenin. October. Peace." lol it's pretty huge, so it's hard to miss when you come over.

also in 2001 in st. petes, i bought a few smallish pieces from some artists at a street fair. watercolor of the Fontanka and a print of a sleeping girl and an aardvark. :rolleyes:

as far as local, modern art. i mostly just have small prints i purchased from photographers. my favorites are of people. an old man in cuba, smoking his pipe, an amused look on his face. and a sheep farmer in albania...he doesn't look to sure of being photographed. and my step mother, who is a photographer, went through a phase of using polaroid emulsion transfers and manipulation in her work. she even taught me how to do the transfers...so there are a couple of those up.

and, i also have several icons, two of which i painted myself. they're used for religious purposes...not just to look at 'cause they're purty. ;)

the end. :D

Mojito

One Too Many
shepkatt said:
My husband, daughter and I do a lot of travel for scuba diving. We started collecting art wherever we go on trips years and years ago. So most of the art we have is specific to where we have been and has memories associated with that trip.
Lovely, Shepkatt! I also have a lot of carvings from around Micronesia and the Solomon Islands as memories of my dive travel - from little sharks and mantas carved from palm ivory nuts all the way up to "spirit carvings". They all have lovely memories, often associated with particular villages we visited from liveaboards. Mostly they depict sea life, but also some reproductions of Head Hunter canoe figureheads.

There are a lot of family pieces from our years overseas...framed silver reliefs from Thailand depicting local legends, also embellished framed fabrics from Southeast Asia, 19th Century etching from Vienna, a watercolour of a ruined historic house (the Jade House) in Singapore, portraits of my sister as a little girl painted by Paul del Prat (relative of Julian Ashton). Lots of prints of birds, some 19th century and some more recent, like the set of cockatoo prints by Jo Ann Hook from the 80s, signed limited edition print.

I'm even more all over the map with my personal collection. I have many 19th Century etchings of UK places that have a special meaning for me - most of them Scarborough, but also other locales. A quality repro railway poster from the teens advertising Scarborough, a print of a Michael Collins portrait I'm fond of, a framed poster for a 1920s photography exhibition that I picked up at the opening, and a signed/limited edition print of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain at Petersburg.

There's a few bronzes around the place - my favourite is a Chiparus reproduction sculpture "Danseuse Arabe". I'm not too fond of repros of Chiparus, Preiss, Colinet etc. as they're often of such poor quality they're an insult to the original, but this is lovely quality and very faithful. She dances on the bar, keeping an eye on the spirits!

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
daybreak.jpg

An original 1922 lithograph of Maxfield Parrish's "Daybreak" hangs over the fireplace. Also have a bust of Diana (Roman goddess of the hunt) signed by Fernand Cian dated 1922 or 1923 hanging out between colonnades in the grand entry hall. My dining room is decorated with framed old 1930's movie stills and sheet music.:D

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I don't really have much art up as we privately rent so we're limisted as to what we can do with our flat. But I have a limited edition Nightmare before christmas painting and a Lord of the Rings map up.

I would love to have an original Brian Froud painting and an original David Delamare. Photography wise there's lots of wildlife photography I like, there's lots in a photo edition of National Geographic that I have an also Steve Blooms photos are lovely.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have several paintings by my late wife, who was a very talented artist.
This is in the dining room:
Lobsterpaintingreduced.jpg

These also are in the dining room:
DRpaintingreduced.jpg

DRDrawingreduced.jpg

This last one she did because she found the frame and just decided to create something to fit the frame. It's a stalk of Brussels sprouts, in case you didn't recognize it.
This is a 4 ft by 6 ft canvas by a friend of my wife. It hangs inthe bedroom. It needs a frame.
Jonipaintingreduced.jpg

This next one is something I found in a thrift shop in Brooklyn Heights. It's pen and ink, water color and pastel. I can't read the signature, but it was done in 1992 in Belgium.
LRdrawingreduced.jpg

My wife and I fed dozens of stray cats in our back yard for years. This is one of the mama cats with her litter:
Catpainting2reduced.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Actually, what I had on my wall in San Diego (and in storage for the future) was a ladie's drag gallery.

It started with a Mucha art print of Sarah Bernhardt portraying Hamlet. Then, someone gave me a photo of Marlene Dietrich in a tuxedo and top hat from the film Morocco. Later, I acquired a photo of Greta Garbo from Queen Christina

Before long, I realized I had a theme, of sorts, hanging on my wall and so began to seek out photos or pictures of famous women in drag. Now I have photos of:

Julie Andrews dressed in a tux from Victor/Victoria

Fanny Brice in tux, tails and top hat from the 1923 Ziegfield Follies.

Sigourney Weaver in drag, can't think of the name of the famous photographer who took it; it was in a book of his prints.

Doris Day portraying Calamity Jane displayed beside a photo of the real Calamity Jane

Ingrid Bergman as Joan of Arc

A very young Anna May Wong in tux, top hat and martini in hand

Lily Tomlin in tux and top hat

Josephine Baker in tux and top hat from one of her Paris shows

Louise Brooks dressed as a boy in Beggars of Life, a movie she made with Wallace Beery (you'd all love her newsboy cap)

Amelia Earhart in her pilot's garb

Barbra Streisand in Yentl

Katherine Hepburn from Sylvia Scarlett, resplendent in a fedora

Demi Moore from Cigar Afficianado. She's not really in drag, but she has a large cigar in hand, so who cares?

And there are others that have come and gone on my wall, those are the ones I kept up at all times.

karol

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
DeaconKC said:
What is your taste in art? a sculpture, painting or print that just grabbed you?
I am a sucker for impressionist art and have a numbered litho of Mischa Lenn's up in here.
Mishajoie-1.jpg

It's called Joie de vive and I couldn't resist it.

Is there a link to somewhere online to get this? I can't find it.

Thanks for posting - I found some of Lenn's other work and really like it.

Wooster

New in Town
I've got a poster with "girl in green" from Tamara de Lempicka

Tamara-de-Lempicka-Portrait-of-a-Young-Girl-in-a-Green-Dress--1930-5775.jpg

Which I hope to replace with a reproduction of this wonderful piece.

Furthermore I have quite a lot of Escher posters, I've been crazy about his work since I was 10.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my living room, I have several prints--a Schiele, a Pollock, and a Mies van der Rohe elevation. We also have an old Irish drum that is painted, two old Walpole Fire Department plaques (my boyfriend's grandfather was Asst. Chief and then Chief), finally two framed pictures of the Slingerland drums patent application from 1937. Oh, and a Japanese painting from the MFA, very long and slim as if it had been on a room screen. And, a vintage Snow White piece of sheet music.

It's not as cluttered as it sounds I swear! lol Here are the ones I could find online:

Pollock
bm-p726.jpg

Schiele
schiele_lovers2.jpg

Mies
81283001.jpg

Dr Doran

Good idea for a thread. I have two oil paintings my friend Nathan Hessler did which are both big portraits of me. I have a collection of "instant relatives" portrait photos from the 1900s-1940s. A lot of little kitschy greco-roman stuff like the Artemis of Anatolia in statuette form. Some small ads from the past that caught my interest. Maybe I should photograph them and post them. I guess you can tell a lot about people by what they put on their walls.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
i have a lot of soviet propaganda, which i do consider art.

and, i also have several icons, two of which i painted myself. they're used for religious purposes...not just to look at 'cause they're purty. ;)

the end. :D

Zaika and I share a decorator... ;)

Although my stuff is mostly -advertisements- as opposed to propaganda art...but i have some of that too...

I have Soviet food ads in the kitchen, and more food and drink related ads in the dining area (Drink Soviet Champagne!)

poster-05.jpg

In the bathroom its soviet toothpaste and powder....

poster-08.jpg

The entry area is the propaganda area....its mild stuff...mostly 'Thank you soviet solders of the war' and "peace to the world' post war stuff...

poster-30.jpg

This was my -twist- on the whole 'quick put up all sorts of random French adverts because they look deco and cool' phenomenon amongst vintage folks....I am Russian...so I went with Russian ads.

And the ads match the colors of the rooms they are in too ....;)

I have even more that are not framed and up....want some Z? ;)

And yes, I also have icons, although much smaller and way less lovely then the Lady Z's.

Dr Doran

I do love the Soviet propaganda. We have a calendar of that era and those messages from Poland. I like the social realist style.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I prefer photo art or even just photos of us on special trips or of the most beautiful local areas. We have one Monet poster I like because of the blue/green theme that I find very calming. We also have a water painting of the street hub was born on so that's special to us too. I'd like some black/white photos of places that mean something to us from the early-mid 20th century of those places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21