Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What art is in your home?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Show at The Frist

My brother is having a show, if any Tenneseeans are interested. Cool pictures of blimps. http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080629/LIFESTYLE/806290301
SHADES OF GRAY: FOUR ARTISTS OF THE SOUTHEAST
"Shades of Gray: Four Artists of the Southeast" features 26 drawings by four members of the Southeastern College Art Conference, an organization of art faculty committed to promoting the importance of art in higher education and in the broader community. Each artist employs a limited palette of black, white and gray in exploring ambiguous relationships between figure and ground, as well as reality and the imagination. Shades of Gray is presented as a companion to exhibition Color as Field. Organized by the Frist Center for the Visual Arts.
WHEN: "Shades of Gray" opened June 20 and runs through Sept. 21. Kell Black will lead an informal conversation about his art 7 p.m. Aug. 22.
WHERE: The Frist Center for the Visual Arts, 919 Broadway, Nashville.
COST: Regular admission is $8.50 for adults, $7.50 for seniors and military, $6.50 for college students with ID, free for visitors 18 and younger and Frist members.
CALL: 615-244-3340
ONLINE: www.fristcenter.org

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Summer, 1909, by Frank W. Benson.

A Monet print; I don't know the title.

A few of my own photos and paintings and some decorative panels.

Mostly, the walls in my house are bare.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Etching of Garbo.

This is an original hand coloured etching of Greta Garbo ( I stand corrected ;) )which hangs in my spare bedroom (which has an art deco theme). Just picked it up for a bargain.

Marlene001.jpg

Marlene004.jpg

Marlene003.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have always considered Greta and Marlene to be equally beautiful.... both those ones, and my two, of course.... ;)

I hope eventually to get some nice photos (or even better, a bona fide painting!) of my Greta and Marlene on the wall...

Uploaded18August2008011.jpg

For now, I have a range of bits. In my lounge I have a painting of the old home village, a 3-d type thing in oils, painted on a flat bit of slate, if memory serves. On the wall alongside that is a print on canvas of a 40s pinup (not Vargas, another big name whose name eludes me...). I'd like eventually to add more of that sort of art. If ever the money was spare, I'd jump on one of those Eastman nose-art metal panels.... Also up on the wall in my lounge are two African shields - similar to Zulu shields, but from Zimbabwe. I've not been there - they were bought from a Zimbawean YMCA group who visited the one I lived in once upon a time, and gave an evening of Zimbawean folk dance and music. Above the doorway, there's an Austrian replica of a flintlock pistol (working hammer mechanism, but the "barrel" is a solid piece).

In my hallway, there are a range of framed 8"x10", autographed prints - mostly on a Rocky Horror theme (Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, Little Nell, Tim Curry, Anthony Stewart Head.... some of them together on the same print), but also including music people - Johnny Rotten, the Ramones, Debbie Harry, and Dick Dale (which also has in the same frame my tickets from the show). I have a few more waiting to be framed too. As well as those, I have a few bits and pieces I've picked up travelling - a fishing boat eye of Horus, from Malta; A chinese traditional straw hat, as well as Beijing Opera masks from, surprise, Beijing.... and so on. My hallway is a good place to put these things on display as the lack of direct sunlight protects them.

In my bedroom, so far, I have an old East German Soviet pennant above the bed. I'd like to pick up more of this sort of art, as I've always loved it. I always found the Third Reich artwork intriguing, but I wouldn't display that at home out of the context of a group of such material from all "sides" (and even then I'd think twice) for fear of misinterpretation as representing support for that regime. (Oddly enough, nobody seems to draw the same conclusion so readily when it comes to the Soviet stuff).

Rounding out the current collection, I have a bunch of original paintings that I bought in China and elsewhere, ready to be framed and go up on the wall, as well as several original sketches by the late Jonathan Adams (best known as Dr Everett Scott in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, though he also originated the role of the Narrator in the stage show, and reprised the role when the show was revived in the West End 1990).

As to future projects, I continue to try to buy frameable artwork whenever I'm on holidays. I would also like to collect mid 20th Century pin-up art, and more autographed pictures - the next target being an autographed Bettie Page shot. I recently discovered the 'What Katie Did' playing cards (GBP10 a pack), from the reproduction-vintage style lingerie boutique of the same name. Very much in the mould of the 40s/50s pin-ups, and a full framed set would be superb (possibly over a series of frames rather than all in one). Hats Direct included a couple of lovely small-sized, retro-style advertising posters for Akubra with my hats, and I'm toying with the idea of framing those. If I could get hold of ads for Aero and Eastman in a similar vein, that'd be cool too....

(At this rate, I'm going to run out of walls...... lol ).

olive bleu

One Too Many
This is the only picture i have uploaded at the moment.And it is too dark to try to take more pictures right now.This one is hanging in my dressing room.A friend found it at a yard sale for a buck.I have no idea what the material is that the photo is mounted on.

cca3d4ab.jpg
[/IMG]

dingus

New in Town
I actually don't have much wall art, our walls are covered with windows, small shelves and tall furniture. I have 3 framed pictures, 2 movie posters and one art poster. All repros. I couldn't get good photos but I did find some pics online of them:

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_ver2.jpg

unknown-poster.jpg

And a huge framed 3 foot by 2 foot version of Le Chat Noir (you can see a copy here, although in real life it's much less orange and easier to see.)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I like both the Art Nouveau style and Art Deco (they're both related besides) - so anything that's got something of that. I had just recently purchased a vintage Art Deco label of French Soap and an Art Nouveau label of French Perfume.

What I have up now consists mostly of my vintage HAPAG (Hamburg Amerika Linie) postcards and items dealing with that in my living room. The postcards are 1930s.

Kitchen is all vintage Rose postcards and one Edelweiss and Red Carnation. The larger print is of a White Camellia - that being vintage too. The postcards in the kitchen date from the 1900s into the 1930s.

My bedroom has all sailing ship postcards - specifically Hamburg segelschiff hafen and the ships of the 'Flying P Line' of F. Laeisz (a well known group of ships that sailed by way of Cape Horn).

The bathroom has an English postcard that has Honeysuckle by some English artist. The card is 1930s but was postmarked 1944 (if I remember right).

I can't poke too many holes in the walls (due to the old horsehair plaster) so when I buy something like postcards, I try to have it incorporate the art style that I like - or be done in a way that I like...that way I can enjoy two things at one time: the subject and the way it is presented.

Sincerely,

Prien:eek:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
in our home, we prefer original art to seriagraphs, but our tastes are rather badly out of date. Here are a few of our favorites:

portrait of the Duke of Wellington, by Laurence:

houseandart025.jpg

Portrait of Isabella Destin, after Titan:

houseandart026.jpg

Cubist still life, Andre Vagh:

houseandart027.jpg

Portrait of Mary, Queen of Scots, (in pastel, on parchment) school of Clouet, c. 1565:
houseandart031.jpg

Landscape of Isle le cite, Paris, early 20th c (can't remember the artists name, but he is listed in Benezit):
houseandart030.jpg

Impressionist streetscape, early 20th c, french:

houseandart029.jpg

harbor scene by Mouy, early 20th c.:

houseandart028.jpg

Pair of Fra Angelica angels from altarpiece:

houseandart024.jpg

Charming little watercolor by Paul Doering, c. 1900 (we ahve quite a bit of this artist's work, including a number of his later, more characteristic Laguna Eucalyptus school works, but this little piece of fluff is one of my favorites:

houseandart023.jpg

19th C Russian forest scene:

houseandart020.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have a lot of art layin' around... if you count the wonderful designs that came out of the 20s-40s in furniture and appliances.

There are a number of nice prints and one painting in oil I own, it was painted by my great grandfather in 1936... I'll take a few photos soon and post them.

decodoll

Practically Family
Some of my favourites :)

Set of prints by Telo (durn flash :p ):

One of what we call our floofy girl prints:

Exotic Chalkwear heads. This is my hubby's favourite corner of the house:

and the E award given to Fashion Frocks, Inc. during WWII:

Warbaby

One Too Many
We have a pretty eclectic mix of stuff on our walls - from deco prints and vintage photographs to watercolors and oil paintings by my mother and my grandfather - and a lot more that there's no room for, so our walls are a changing exhibition.

One of my favorite works is this large (28"x36") oil painting by my grandfather, c. 1918. I've been looking at it all my life, first at my grandparents' house where I lived as a child, and in every place I've lived since I inherited it in the 60s, and I've never tired of it. It's become a window to a real place, a place where I go when I'm feeling ragged and restless.

IraPtng_TreesCR.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vitanola -- beautiful, and welcome to the Lounge.

Warbaby -- a lovely impressionist piece. Sometimes it is necessary for me to see a non-cliched piece of art from a school or style of art to see that style's beauty, if you know what I mean -- the standard textbook chestnuts get so old and boring that I cease to see what made impressionism so damned beautiful. (This applies to many genres of many arts, not solely visual.)

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
My own stuff of course.:rolleyes: :D
Also a few Maxfield Parrish prints and some autographed photos of vintage luminaries.

Nice stuff, Ray...your work shows a wonderful figurative/illustrative edge. And you're in Mentor, Ohio. Not many artists there. I used to live in Cleveland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy