Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What art is in your home?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
New York worlds fair poster

P1030763_edited-1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
springFrog.jpg

Cherokee Chief, Spring Frog (Tooan Tuh)

Over one end of the sofa hangs this Hand colored Lithograph from the McKenney and Hall Folio History of the Indian Tribes of North America with Biographical Sketches and Anecdotes of the Principal Chiefs Embellished with One Hundred and Twenty Portraits From the Indian Gallery in the Department of War, at Washington
Published: Philadelphia VOL I: 1837

Spring Frog was my fellow Tennessean, born near Lookout Mountain around 1754, he was a well known sportsman (NDN stick-ball), trapper and angler and was also said to be a valiant warrior. Well into his seventh decade Spring Frog had trailed for hundreds of miles a war party of Osage who had raided his village and then killed them all. His cabin still stands in a State park near Chattanooga. Thomas L. McKenney said of him "a generous hospitality; his friends were always welcome to his cheerful fireside, and the stranger, to use the figure of one of the noblest spirits of our land, 'never found the string of his latch drawn in.' " May that be said of us all.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Some things from Mucha, one from Klimt, in another room is also a pic from Kandinsky. I like the art of the first half of the 20th century, esp. that what we call here Wiener Jugendstil and from my childhood in Weimar I have known what's called Bauhaus and so I also like the artists and architecture from that school.

wo1.jpg

wo2.jpg

wo3.jpg

wo4.jpg

wo5.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
HungaryTom said:
IraPtng_TreesCR.jpg
THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

Thanks, HungaryTom - my grandfather would have appreciated you compliments. My grandfather, Ira J. Smith, lived in western Pennsylvania and did most of his painting between 1905-1930. He passed away in 1965. He exhibited in shows in Pittsburgh, but refused to sell any of his paintings because he was painting purely for himself. I now have most of his work and have often thought of contacting some art museums to see if I can get him the recognition he deserves.

Here's another of my favorites - it's a large painting of the Monongahela river at night, the sky illuminated by the fires of the steel mills.

Ira_River_0381.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I'm quite a fan of maps and I have a foil, sounds strange I know, version of a map from 1681, it bordered with various Greek gods and the seven wonders of the world. I'll take a picture and pop it up.

I've also got a plate from one of the Strand Sherlock Holmes volumes.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IraPtng_TreesCR.jpg

Absolutely stunning Warbaby. How wonderful it must be to be around such beauty.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
This is a very late reply to your comment because I haven't been back to this thread for awhile.

My grandfather was a self-taught painter who lived in a little town in southwestern Pennsylvania. His name was Ira J. Smith and he did most of his paintings between 1910 and 1940. While he exhibited in shows in Pittsburgh, he always tagged his work as Not For Sale because he painted purely for himself and didn't want to part with any of his paintings. I really admire the purity of his art for that. He was also a very good photographer with a painter's eye for lighting and composition. Not satisfied with those accomplishments, he also taught himself violin making and completed 14 instruments in the 40s and early 50s. He worked full time all his life as a newspaper reporter and didn't retire until he was in his late 70s.

Needless to say, he is one of my great heroes and I am fortunate to have most of his paintings and six of his violins.

Wow - what a talented grandfather! Great paintings.:eusa_clap

Brinybay

Practically Family
Just got this the other day at a "Second Hand" store. Or rather, their business name said "second hand", but it was really an antique store. Whatever. The pic is at an odd angle because the flash would reflect off the glass if it was photographed straight on:

Pan and the Nymphs
W. Bovgvereav 1873

Warden

One Too Many
My childrens mostly, all over the fridge and every single pin board

Harry

volatile

A-List Customer
Wooster said:
I've got a poster with "girl in green" from Tamara de Lempicka

Tamara-de-Lempicka-Portrait-of-a-Young-Girl-in-a-Green-Dress--1930-5775.jpg

Which I hope to replace with a reproduction of this wonderful piece.

An art gallery near my work has a huge repro of this Lempicka piece, reduced from £1000 to under £200....

2515502771_2437625f3c.jpg

You cannot believe how tempted I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider