Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What art is in your home?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Picked these up at the flea market
IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, aka the Queen Mum.
He ascended to the throne when Edward VIII decided he'd rather be with the woman he loved. She lived to be about 101, and was one of the most beloved human beings who ever walked the earth. They are the parents of the present queen. It was this Queen Elizabeth that the great sister ship of the Queen Mary was named for, not the present queen.
Very nice pics. I'll be a cookie they were either souvenirs of his coronation, or, more likely, of the famous royal visit to this country in 1939.
Edit: Looking closely at the caption of the King's portrait, it say he's in the uniform of a marshal of the RAF, which makes me think the pictures are from the war. Any indication on the back of the prints?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The back of both have this tag on them:
IMG_3022.jpg

They're still in business, and have been around since 1886. According to their website, "The business was primarily founded to serve the officers of the British garrison and their wives. Halifax at that time was the site of the second largest military garrison in the British Empire, and the large cadre of both military and naval officers and their families provided a viable market for the gallery's services. "

He had theHonorary rank of Marshal of the Royal Air Force, and was Promoted the 11th of December 1936. Wartime wouldn't surprise me, neither would the '39 visit. Both are pretty close in time

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard Fenton Outcault

outcault2.jpg

An original 1896 poster for William Randolph Hearst's New York Sunday World Newspaper. The art is by R.F. Outcault the first newspaper cartoonist (the Yellow Kid) and the creator of Buster Brown.

Warbaby

One Too Many
HungaryTom said:
IraPtng_TreesCR.jpg
THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

This is a very late reply to your comment because I haven't been back to this thread for awhile.

My grandfather was a self-taught painter who lived in a little town in southwestern Pennsylvania. His name was Ira J. Smith and he did most of his paintings between 1910 and 1940. While he exhibited in shows in Pittsburgh, he always tagged his work as Not For Sale because he painted purely for himself and didn't want to part with any of his paintings. I really admire the purity of his art for that. He was also a very good photographer with a painter's eye for lighting and composition. Not satisfied with those accomplishments, he also taught himself violin making and completed 14 instruments in the 40s and early 50s. He worked full time all his life as a newspaper reporter and didn't retire until he was in his late 70s.

Needless to say, he is one of my great heroes and I am fortunate to have most of his paintings and six of his violins.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Is that six counting the one in my armoire?
:eek:fftopic: Hi Warbaby, are you snowed in?

Yep, that's one of the six.

:eek:fftopic:

We were snowed in for a couple of days. We rarely get more than a couple of inches of snow, but the snowstorm that hit us was a real doozy - I measured 24 inches on our front lawn. Oy.

Snow_12.18m2.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Swiss Miss"

On boiling hot summer afternoons I find this portrait of a 30's Lady Skier, very refreshing, and cooling , she on the other hand is dreaming rather wistfully of a Hot chocolate with marshmallows

3220912205_0369945e0c_b.jpg

The flash seems to distort the picture a little with that shiny bit

I know that I've said it before but I will keep on saying it " A Nude does furnish a room"

3220922025_c6b39ebb36_b.jpg

I took this quick snap at my pal Madges place, while she was powdering her nose

Lt GUSTL

New in Town
Servus from Vienna,

one of my favorite painting is from the Austrian painter Max Willlner.
He painted these kind of paintings in the 50s and 60s.
It is now in our living room.

kindest regards :)

Willner.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo