Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have "packed" some caps for my travels. Today I was sport'n an unlined Cordova Cap. Excellent cap for any warm weather efforts.

i-3mwnjbw-M.jpg

i-cxMpkLq-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
@Short Balding Guy Since I'm not technically wearing the cap today (much too warm for it), I shouldn't post it here. But here is a link to where I'm wearing it...

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-cap-faction.23684/page-406#post-2541440

I've heard the style of wool weave is called "nail head" tweed at least somewhere on the interwebs. It basically seems to me to be one of main weaves for wool - this and a few others like herringbone, houndstooth, and check. I have something similar in blue as well from Monsivais that Damien calls Donegal wool. In terms of French style do you mean 8 dart? Or something else that Cordova has fashioned?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-cap-faction.23684/page-405#post-2523167

The cap shown is actually the first one I got from Monsivais. I returned it because it was the wrong size. The replacement actually looks a lot better to me. I'll have to take pics again at some point.

So the green gingham...
View attachment 168830

I'm not sure it's exactly gingham, but it surely looks nice to me. More like a darker green. I'm not going to have the cap made until next year, but wanted to snag the fabric beforehand. I'm not sure who I'll commission to make it either. Not even sure of the style either. Cordova or Simonds will do a fine job of it.

I actually have a few caps in the making... one from Cordova and one from Simonds...

Cordova in an 8 dart configuration - using a cotton wash cloth type fabric from Ikea... yeah Ikea...
View attachment 168831

...and Simonds - in a cotton indigo plaid canvas that he offers... 8 panel 1920s style...

View attachment 168832

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Scotty; Not hijacking at all. I see this thread as a showcase for pics of folks wearing the caps. In many ways it is lonely posting my pics without a lot of others contributing. I am very happy to add to the efforts of this thread.

(1) Red fabric - thanks for linking your pics. Yes I had seen them before, but did not recall the post. Your cap, as I see it this evening, is an 8/4 panel cap. A French cap is a single pieced top essentially. Different styles and details of both styles exist, but the basic styles are a great way to start.

(2) Wool fabric labeling - You are correct as I too have seen similar fabric labeled as nail head. My challenge is that Donegal wool is wool that is made in Donegal County, Ireland. Donegal inspired wool is varied and of different qualities. Fabric that is woven with different colors, thicknesses and irregular intervals are frequently labeled Donegal. They are inspired, but may or may not be Donegal.

(3) Gingham - I see your pic showing a gingham like material. I do like it. Modern ginhams do show a distinct coloring on the warp and along the grain (weft). It produces a pattern that has a more distinct boundary than the fabric in your pic. Certainly inspired or can be called ginham like. I typed answer is definitely very picky and along formal definitions, but may be useful. I do not intend to distract from the fact that the fabric shown is grand.

I like the idea of the Ikea cloth. It is excellent and the creative idea is intriguing.

For Summer I am waiting to see how Jonathan Cordova works some woven straw into a cap. That, to my thoughts, would make a terrific vintage inspired very warm weather cap. He said he is waiting the arrival of the materials and will comence shortly. I am excited about the prospects of this cap. Fall/winter I am considering looking for another cap of Fox wools (the fine mens wool material manufacturer) of other hues of the diamond wool patterns. This said, any time special fabrics are shown by the bespoke cap makers I would leap upon them. Some really special caps have been offered of late by Keith Lo Blue (Etsy offerings) with many glorious fabrics. Man they are dynamite.

You have some grand caps on your hat/cap rack.

Best, Eric -

ScottyD

Familiar Face
In the spirit of "what I'm wearing" today...

IMG_3819.jpg

This is a cap made by Bonnie Shaffer of "Hatswithapast" on Etsy. She has a great collection of wools. Her designs are more modern with a flare of the past. This is made in a gabardine mini houndstooth from the 1930s. If you want the same quality as Cordova or Simonds, but with a more modern twist, I'd suggest giving her a shout. I'm going to do a review soon on the Cap Faction thread.

@Short Balding Guy - yeah the Ikea cloth cap is done. Jonathan posted it today. I can post pics in the Cap Faction thread as I've not worn it yet. It looks like it came amazing as usual. Thanks for the complements on the hats. I need to slow down this obsession. The wife has been giving me the stink eye lately about my ever growing collection.

The green check (gingham-like) fabric is vintage. Not sure from what time period, but just received the fabric in the mail and I can tell it's going to make a great cap for next spring.

I see what you mean about the Donegal wool thing. You never know where something came from. I'm no expert, and like you, just go with what my eye likes. If it's vintage great, if it's not and still looks good - great too. Here's a teaser of the Ikea cap...

IMG_3896.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It was cloudy and cool this morning, so I ran out with the Cordova cap. Warmer this afternoon and the medium weight wool was almost too warm. I'm looking at a woven hemp cap from Keith Lo Bue, but @Short Balding Guy : am very interested to see what Jonathan has coming at Cordova caps as well for a great, hot weather, summer cap.

Cordova%20Cap_01-L.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Today was a linen day. This one is a dandy... while in traffic of course...
View attachment 169080

Linen looks cool. Cool in style and in providing temperature regulation. I like your pics of you in your caps with a medium or "larger" drape on the sides.

You mentioned receiving some push back from having many caps on your cap rack. I have taken to storing some of the really warm caps come Spring and Summer weather. In a another week I will put a bunch into "storage." My on-board cap selection as a result appears smaller. The smaller amount is appreciated by my wife.

As to the question about how many caps, I dodge the question as nimbly as I can.

It was cloudy and cool this morning, so I ran out with the Cordova cap. Warmer this afternoon and the medium weight wool was almost too warm. I'm looking at a woven hemp cap from Keith Lo Bue, but @Short Balding Guy : am very interested to see what Jonathan has coming at Cordova caps as well for a great, hot weather, summer cap.

Cordova%20Cap_01-L.jpg

Wow, congrats! The cap with your provided material really turned out well. It is sharp. I bet the black mixed hues pair easily and the medium/light wool fabric should walk between the seasons. Love your cap.

This morning I headed out taking my dog for a walk in a cap. It stopped raining a few hours ago and the light is very brilliant with the resulting humidity. My pics capture the hues of the cap well.

i-2pLbMDd-M.jpg

As many of you are familiar when you order a custom cap you can have more fabric in the back of the cap so you can tug the cap down. I like my Fall/Winter caps to tug down over my back skull.

i-gsQjXt2-M.jpg

This pics better shows how a "bit" more fabric can make it be the perfect cap - customized to your desire. Perfect for me!

i-gKwW7kq-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

ScottyD

Familiar Face
Interesting bit about having more material in the back of the cap. Is that something that you're usually asking for? I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it. I'd love to see a pic of the back of the red cap when on your head. It looks like the green wool cap has a shorter back. Overall, I think I'd prefer it with its vented liner.

Speaking of drape. Depending on your mood and the day you can shape the hat a bit. My current preference is a little pulled forward and draped/cocked to the side. That's the beauty of it.

By the way, it's never a good thing if you have to hide your hat habit. I've been keeping the new ones on the down low and every few weeks brandishing a new one. The good thing about getting a fall / winter cap is I've tried it on for size and put it away for the colder months. Out of sight, out of mind.

It must be way cooler up in MN than in CT. I can't get away with wearing a wool cap unless it's 55°F tops. Otherwise, it's too warm for my already sweaty head.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Interesting bit about having more material in the back of the cap. Is that something that you're usually asking for? I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it. I'd love to see a pic of the back of the red cap when on your head. It looks like the green wool cap has a shorter back. Overall, I think I'd prefer it with its vented liner.

Speaking of drape. Depending on your mood and the day you can shape the hat a bit. My current preference is a little pulled forward and draped/cocked to the side. That's the beauty of it.

By the way, it's never a good thing if you have to hide your hat habit. I've been keeping the new ones on the down low and every few weeks brandishing a new one. The good thing about getting a fall / winter cap is I've tried it one for size and put it away for the colder months. Out of sight, out of mind.

It must be way cooler up in MN than in CT. I can't get away with wearing a wool cap unless it's 55°F tops. Otherwise, it's too warm for my already sweaty head.

Here is a pic of the cap tugged down in back. Not every cap on my rack should have this "extra feature." In the cool breezy Fall/Winter I like the caps to tug down below my jacket collar.

i-XcV7fTf-M.jpg

This morning I am wearing an unlined wool cap in the 45'f weather. The cap has a removable top. Very comfy for a variety of conditions. This cap was on a wooden block waiting for me to put away and I picked it up to wear again. Usually I cycle thru different caps/hats daily.

i-VDbRbV4-M.jpg

i-xhz6gts-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the pic of the back of the red cap. Now I'm getting the picture ;)

I definitely like the look of your green cap. The pattern is exquisite. If I remember correctly it's The Quiet Man cap with different wool.

Here is the Quiet Man cap.

i-2WX8nZm-M.jpg

No seam in the front of this single piece top and side. This would be more like a French Cap.

i-zdm7MJF-M.jpg

Eric -

ScottyD

Familiar Face
@Short Balding Guy - I still don't get how you wear wool caps in the late spring going into summer. I know you're in MN, but doesn't your head get hot. I have a hard enough time with a leather band and lighter materials and my head starts to sweat. I'm thinking of doing the quiet man style cap but with a different wool.

Cheers!
Scotty D

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
@Short Balding Guy - I still don't get how you wear wool caps in the late spring going into summer. I know you're in MN, but doesn't your head get hot. I have a hard enough time with a leather band and lighter materials and my head starts to sweat. I'm thinking of doing the quiet man style cap but with a different wool.
Cheers!
Scotty D

Often our mornings are in the upper 40'f or 50'f in the early summer. Wool caps work well. As the temps rise I switch out to other cap materials or other head gear.

Love that cap! I'm currently looking for a blazer in that pattern, maybe a bit darker.

Thanks sir. I too would love a blazer out of similar fabric. I will have to check with Johnny Cordova about the origins of the fabric.

A Best Dressed Head cap while doing some yard chores this past week.

i-kTh26VX-M.jpg

The fabric and size make it an easy cap to reach for.

i-CzLWc2w-M.jpg

Shopping errands were done this arm afternoon in an unlined cotton cap.

i-TWQkLjf-M.jpg

i-VtZDKrF-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk