Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Unlined cap again yesterday. Perfect for the warm weather.

i-WtxsRbm-M.jpg

i-vb3B2r7-M.jpg

i-XHv22mX-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Edward

Bartender
1686136868323.jpeg

A quick run into the office this morning to pick up a bunch of post. Wearing this Lutece "Hickory Stripe Slugger Cap Spitfire Hot Rod Rockabilly Railroad Vintage Nose Art", as they snappily call it on their website. Bought it last year, it's become something of a favourite. Could be improved by making it bigger, more body, more *flounce*, but I like it a lot.

Among the post I was picking up were these two caps from Bronson. One, a PoW version of the pre-war US denim A3 mechanics' cap. This references the by-then obsolete US denim workwear that was issued to PoWs taken by the US in the later stages of the war, typically after their own uniforms had worn out, or were thrown out at time of capture due to damage, lice, the wearer being pulled out of 'the drink'... It's an interesting little historical nod, without being unwearable:

1686137370247.jpeg

Also picked up a Daisy May:

1686137482694.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Better shot of the Daisy May:

1686137813138.png

I'm really pleased with this one. I have two Bronson A3 caps I bought on a bit of a whim (they seem to be identical to the ones in the Luctece website, down to the same mistake in the logo transfer - they read "Army Air Force" instead of "Army Air Forces", which I think is the correct designation for their period? The Bronsons were bought direct from the PRC, though, at half the price of the Luctece). Have not worn a ballcap in literal decades - over thirty years. Really like these, though. to date I've worn them out and about during downtime in Beijing. Very comfy, ideal on a day when I'm not going to be out in the Sun long enough to burn, and I need a cap I can stow in a pocket and forget about if needsbe. Also good for out and about after dark!

The Daisy May is another hat I've been musing for some time. Years ago, the first Summer hats I wore with regularity as an adult were a brace of 'Nam era style boonie hats. Now my wardrobe generally reflects an earlier period, and I've not worn those in a decade, I got curious about this as an earlier version. I really like how it looks so far. This time headed out to Bejing next week for ceremonial duties I'll have space on the case for a hatbox, so I can pack a nicer brimmed hat there and not have to wear it travelling to be safe with it. I'm going to give the DM a roadtest during downtime. The brim will be welcome in the heat out there. It won't be sub 30C during daylight that week - and might climb closer 40. In which case the DM will mostly be worn while running between airconned buildings, and doing a lot of whimpering....

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Better shot of the Daisy May:

View attachment 523489

I'm really pleased with this one. I have two Bronson A3 caps I bought on a bit of a whim (they seem to be identical to the ones in the Luctece website, down to the same mistake in the logo transfer - they read "Army Air Force" instead of "Army Air Forces", which I think is the correct designation for their period? The Bronsons were bought direct from the PRC, though, at half the price of the Luctece). Have not worn a ballcap in literal decades - over thirty years. Really like these, though. to date I've worn them out and about during downtime in Beijing. Very comfy, ideal on a day when I'm not going to be out in the Sun long enough to burn, and I need a cap I can stow in a pocket and forget about if needsbe. Also good for out and about after dark!

The Daisy May is another hat I've been musing for some time. Years ago, the first Summer hats I wore with regularity as an adult were a brace of 'Nam era style boonie hats. Now my wardrobe generally reflects an earlier period, and I've not worn those in a decade, I got curious about this as an earlier version. I really like how it looks so far. This time headed out to Bejing next week for ceremonial duties I'll have space on the case for a hatbox, so I can pack a nicer brimmed hat there and not have to wear it travelling to be safe with it. I'm going to give the DM a roadtest during downtime. The brim will be welcome in the heat out there. It won't be sub 30C during daylight that week - and might climb closer 40. In which case the DM will mostly be worn while running between airconned buildings, and doing a lot of whimpering....

Thanks for sharing your caps and though full description of them and your wearing situations. Interesting caps. I will have to check them out. Beijing at 30-40c', wow!

Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Oh! That is interesting. Not seen that before, but assume it's based on a period original idea? Great, practical concept, presumably from the days before dry-cleaning...

The cap took inspiration from a vintage cap advertisement. It works. Not perfect, but a first iteration. It wears well.

Yesterday I wore a light weight wool cap.

i-hHXZmWx-M.jpg

i-pZmBJ3M-M.jpg

i-L3M8R5Z-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Not a fancy cap, but a well made one and my daily newsboy, a cotton twill find on Amazon (brand Botvela). Proportions more modest than my last post but easier to wear and more importantly it’s the hat my wife likes the most. Thinking of picking up a second in their khaki color. View attachment 524430

I do think both this and the Cordova Newsboy (above) look good on you and appear to fit you well, but I have to agree with your wife that the Botvela's more modest proportions look better on you. I had been eyeing those myself recently, and I think your post just might have convinced me to get one...or two...or... ;)

Edward

Bartender
I have to admit it’ll take a while to build up to wearing this one around, I can’t help but feel it may be a bit too big on me!

I think it looks great! I love a big, floppy cap, 20s style, but it can take getting used to at first. Like a fedora or anything, really. Berets took me a bit to get into the swing of - now I think they look way better on me, but that's all a confidence thing, really.

Not a fancy cap, but a well made one and my daily newsboy, a cotton twill find on Amazon (brand Botvela). Proportions more modest than my last post but easier to wear and more importantly it’s the hat my wife likes the most. Thinking of picking up a second in their khaki color. View attachment 524430

I have a couple of these myself - the mid brown colour, and the black. I do wish mine were a couple of inches wider, but they really are surprisingly good for the money, great for kicking around in in the Summer. I've been really pleased with mine; next year I might pick up a couple more. I'm very attracted to the burgundy / wine one, that might be next...

Edward

Bartender
Friday I enojyed wearing a Cordova cap made from "work" fabric.

i-jpP5Q6D-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Cordova caps ate lovely indeed. I have a couple made by him; in particular, I have one of the early SJC wabash caps that I believe were made by Cordova for the brand. Mine is one of the eight dart style. The eight panels, like yours, are beautifully done; if they came in black I'd jump on one of these. There aren't many caps I've seen made outside of the artisanal producers we favour in these parts where the lines are just so perfectly matched up as on that one. I also like the peak extending just that little bit beyond the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner