Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear under your jacket?

Schambach

Practically Family
The River Driver henleys from LL Bean have been working for me when worn under leather jackets with quilted linings at 0 C (32F). I don't think they would have worked if the jackets had regular nylon linings, but with quilted linings they kept me warm as the only underlayer.

Thanks for the follow up, I was curious about that. Are they bulky at all?

Al 916

One Too Many
It's chill in the English shires at the moment but I don't want to go full winter yet, so..

Thermal, denim shirt (with collar) wool waistcoat and 654 CR (a collar and CR work for Terry in his Brooks Gold vid and they work for me too).

Recently joined by a Shemagh post throat surgery.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@Schambach - No, not bulky. Thicker than your regular henley, sure, but not as bulky as a sweatshirt, for example. Somewhere in the middle, closer to a regular henley than to a sweatshirt.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Next spring/summer...

full

And something seasonal to be worn above the jacket, for some nice mulled wine or mead with a heavy shot of rum on a Christmas market...

full

full

Edward

Bartender
Currently underneath the jacket I'm mostly in either a pair of Dickies 874s or my Wrangler 13MWZ, and a long-sleeve SJC polo, today with RW Iron Rangers. Fairly standard WFH clothing for me. Add a different shirt or tie plus a Collectif cardigan or a sleeveless V neck sweater for the odd day when I need to go into work. I was doing two and a half days a week in the office until Omicron hit; now I'm back to only going in when I need to teach. We have a January intake this year, so next week is going to be a round of induction for them and graduation ceremonies for the last two years' cohorts. Assuming the diet has worked its magic, I'll be in my kilt next week.

Yango

One of the Regulars
denim jacket
I rode my first bike for years, wearing a t-shirt, Lee Riders jean jacket and a snap up trucker style leather jacket. It looked great, but unfortunately denim isn’t very warm, and a snap up jacket lets in a LOT of wind! So I spent a good portion of that time cold. But, hey, live and learn!

These days, it’s either just a t shirt, or a t with a hoodie under my leathers—and I have a down filled hoodie for when the temperature really dips.

This is my Schott 141 with the down filled hoodie.
CC717817-2FEE-4402-8B8A-D86B898FDD12.jpeg

Last edited:

Yango

One of the Regulars
When did the denim jacket under a leather jacket trend begin?
I’m curious, is it an IG thing?
I grew up wearing jean jackets in the 70’s, so it was just a natural progression for me to add a leather jacket over the denim to act as insulation.

The 50’s? Earlier, perhaps? I’m not really sure when denim became popular in the fashion realm, but manual workers have been wearing it forever.

Bikers tend to layer what ever they own, and denim and leather just seem to go hand in hand.

When did the denim jacket under a leather jacket trend begin?
I’m curious, is it an IG thing?

I've often seen the combo worn by the working class here back during the 90's and early 2K's but then people began dressing "better". It is a very convenient jacket to be worn under a leather jacket, as you can keep wearing it as a shirt or sth, whatever the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points