Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear when it rains?

Colt

Familiar Face
Well being hear in SoCal we don't get a whole lot of rain, But the last few weeks we've seen some rain. Not wanting to get any of my Vintage Fedora's wet. I have been wearing my Peterson Raiders. It's held up great! So I was just wondering what everyone else wears when it's wet outside?

Colt

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
With the vintage hats, I leave them at home. After all, they are irreplaceable. With the other hats, I just let them get wet. I do have them protected with Scotsguard or Scouts. However, that being said, I do have a couple that I use when I know I’ll be out in the rain for an extended period of time (several hours without a break).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I let my vintage hats take the brunt of the rain. They hold up to it without a problem... Soaked a grey Borsalino to the core the other night while walking about and was dry late the next day. you can't tell the difference from before to after. Modern hats shrink.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Whatever was hanging on my hall tree at the time....I figure, a vintage hat can take anything thrown at it, and a new hat can be rebuilt or replaced. Heck, look at all the great hatmakers we have right here! If Art's hat can't take a storm, NOTHING can! Same with my PB! Or my Gladhatter beaver! They're daily 'tools'...may as well use them and enjoy them! We aren't going to live forever! :cool: Regards. Michaelson

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
It is raining to day and I have out my Gladhatter beaver.

Michaelson said:
We aren't going to live forever! :cool: Regards. Michaelson
Speak for yourself. I'm immortal! ;)

Wconly

Familiar Face
I used to be very cautious as to which hat I would pick for inclement weather...now, I am more like Michaelson ... I pick what I want to wear for the day and let the elements have their way with it. We have been experiencing freezing rain this week -- so far I have worn an HJ one day -- weathered it well -- yesterday, my Baron HJBrown -- same experience and today, I am in my beloved GHHJBrown and it is holding up like a champ! I spray mine down w/water repelent-stain protector from 'Lid's' and never have an issue with any real damage to the hats. This stuff is so good that a year ago in San Antonio a bird did it's thing on a Peter's Bros (Michaelson) Gray Borsalino I had and once it dried, it just brushed right off and no stain or discolouration of any kind! So, for me, wear 'um, if you got 'um and enjoy! And, for the reports Rick5150 has provided re: the Adventurebuilt Beavers, it would appear to hold up equally well in wet conditions! From what I gather, Rich really gives 'um the hard core testing! All regards: W>

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'm sure all our hatmakers would PREFER we'd wear them all, as unless we wear them out, they can't sell many of us a new one! :cool: Regards. Michaelson

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
We have actually been having some rainy weather in San Diego, so I have been wearing my fur felts, which keep my head warm. I don't wear the wool ones because I've heard bad things about getting a wool hat wet.

In a downpour, however, I wear a rain parka or rain poncho and may even cover my hat with the hood while I dash from one place to another.

The only fur felt I won't wear in bad weather is my ivory creme GH hat. It is such a pretty, light color, and so classy looking, I wear it only on special outings.

Yes, we need to wear our beautiful hats. So many fedoras, so little time....

kdl

rick5150

One of the Regulars
What do you wear when it rains?
I have always looked at hats as a way to protect me from the elements. When I have to start protecting my hats from rain, I will stop wearing them. Kudos to the hat that can take it ;)

Colt

Familiar Face
I see a few of you refer to GladHatter? Does anyone have a site that I can refer to so I can take a look at some of his Lids. In a buying mood for a new fedora! ;)

Thanks in advance

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Do you use this

Scout Felt Hat Rain and Stain Protector Spray (5.5oz.)

Scout Felt Hat Rain & Stain Protector is specifically for use on your felt and beaver hats. Will keep your felt hat water-repellent and stain-resistant. This product can safely be used on all COLORFAST hats. If in doubt of colorfastness, check by spraying a hidden area. If color rubs off, it is not colorfast and should not be treated.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I wear one of my Akubra's. I know my vintage one's can take it if they need to, but why bother when I have so many? If I get caught in the rain with one of my nice one's on, so be it. I don't take it off and put it under my coat. It's there to keep my head dry. But if I'm going out directly from the house into the rain, I grab my Akubra Federation.

fedoralover

Wconly

Familiar Face
Colt! Here are a couple of links re: my two GH Indy's...these were prior to arrival to me -- I have bashed a bit more and worn them in ...but, it will give you an idea of Charlie's works (so will the site)! Keep in mind, that untill you have a GH Sterling Beaver in your hands, you cannot really get the true feel for these special hats and the quality of craftsmanship is unsurpassed, as is the customer care provided! Class act all the way around.

***EDIT*** Please do not place links to banned members websites. You can post your image here, though not the link [MATT]***EDIT***

All regards. W>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner