Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What ever happened to single breasted, peak suits?

Fidena

One of the Regulars
Especially from 1915 - 1925~, although the 30's suits definitely do bear mentioning. They look really slick, but appear to be pretty rare. Also, the cuts of the suits in Boardwalk Empire. Are the older cuts of suits made in some niche nowadays?

Also, while they do still make single peaked suits nowadays, it's usually subtle or with a very narrow lapel.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Last year I went to a local vintage shop here in Berlin and found a dream of a German 1930's SB peak lapel suit, very light summer weight wool in a medium/light tan with lighter chalk stripes. Price was around $170. Of course, as is always the case, it turned out to be too short... :mad:

Fidena

One of the Regulars
Last year I went to a local vintage shop here in Berlin and found a dream of a German 1930's SB peak lapel suit, very light summer weight wool in a medium/light tan with lighter chalk stripes. Price was around $170. Of course, as is always the case, it turned out to be too short... :mad:

I feel your pain, Mario- I usually have the same problem, but with the inverse.

djd

Practically Family
I love those peak lapel suits. There are a few around at the moment but they're the skinny lapel type - more a Mad Men type look I guess? Haven't seen a modern suit with nice big peak lapels. It's a look that deserves a comeback.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
They do seem to be making a small come back. I picked up a nice dark blue sport jacket with peak lapels at Marshall's recently (discount place), and they had several more similar styles. But it did have failry narrow lapels.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Yep - The narrow single-breasted peak lapel jacket has been quite popular at Top Shop and other high street stores here in the UK for a couple of years now. Give it a few years and they'll be massive again no doubt...

Hardy Amies thought they were a big sartorial no-no, for some reason. Personally I can't see why - they look fine to me if nicely tailored.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The fashion right now is for slimline lapels. Therefore the lapels of all descriptions are slimline right now.

Peak lapels on sb jackets were failry wide in the 70s though. Funny, that.

bk

This doesn't seem to be the case as much in America as in Europe though. Possibly because fewer people in America wear suits and those that do are not as "fashion forward".

Personally I think slim lapels work fine with notched lapels but look a bit strange with peaked lapels. However the 70s took it into the other extreme in my opinion by giving peaked lapels too much belly (if that's the right word) and pairing them with over-flared trousers.

Dr Kilroy said:
Peak lapels should be wide.
I don't quite agree. I have a late 50s dinner jacket which has peaked lapels of about 4" which aren't narrow but not really wide either.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
They're never big enough through the middle, and the sleeves are never long enough for me. The majority of guys then weren't over 6 foot and also over 2 bills, unfortunately.

I'm more of a Jimmy Stewart type, long and gangly. He must have had a hard time finding suits in his size (that is before he became rich and famous and could afford the best tailors).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay