Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What goes with your A2?

highhope

New in Town
Hey all!

Just wondered what you guys and girls like to wear with your A2 jackets? The A2 is a fab utility jacket but it's really rather fashionable too...so what do you find works best for you in yours?

Cheers

M

member 16283

I do dress slacks and dress shirt or jeans and polo. Whatever works.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Khakis, brown oxfords and dress shirt. Sometimes a fedora or a military contractor hat.
Sounds like you're still in uniform...
Funny thing, I tend to phase out A-1s/A-2s every year at about the time I phase in khakis, so I don't wear both often.
Most often it's jeans or corduroys, some kind of turtleneck and/or v-neck, Blunnies or similar, and a newsy cap.
Sometimes I 30s it up a little more emphatically with a suit vest and felt hat.

Here's a question for you guys with both A-2s and not-A-2s: What do you wear with one that you usually don't with the other?

Last edited:

ace12

New in Town
Sounds like you're still in uniform...
Funny thing, I tend to phase out A-1s/A-2s every year at about the time I phase in khakis, so I don't wear both often.
Most often it's jeans or corduroys, some kind of turtleneck and/or v-neck, Blunnies or similar, and a newsy cap.
Sometimes I 30s it up a little more emphatically with a suit vest and felt hat.

Here's a question for you guys with both A-2s and not-A-2s: What do you wear with one that you usually don't with the other?

A three piece suit with flip flops!

blethook

One of the Regulars
My opinion may be a minority here...but I don't think A-2 jacket goes very well with jeans...I think it looks better when worn with a pair of proper trousers/chinos...

I also don't think A-2 jacket suits everyone. It appears to suit people with slight build (like those young pilots during WWII) better than those with more modern build (i.e., heavy at the top, or rather muscular).

I hope no one here takes the above the wrong way. Most certainly not an insult - just my opinion :)

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
I like the Willis & Geiger C-2 "glider" sweater -- wool, low profile, full zip with an extra pocket. Also enjoy the Buzz Rickson loop wheeled sweatshirts for some front color and the Eastman mechanics' sweater. Plus RRL has some nice military cargo pants and HBT shirts and hoodies. WPG does a nice repro chocolate officer's shirt with scalloped pockets if you're feeling more . . .regimental.

Last edited:

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I wear my A2 with a business suit instead of the suit jacket. Also went for business meetings with this wardrobe. Never get any bad comment for it. Also no body told me that I look like Indiana Jones or something like this.

Olli

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I like it with 2/3 of a 3pc suit.
Not Indy at all. More Howard Hughes.
S.307.p5-P.200214081_640.jpg

Lose the suit coat, Howie.

Last edited:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I agree that, compared certain other classic styles of leather jacket, the A2 can be unforgiving, but I find that depends very much on the cut, especially the 'bagginess' factor, specifically the natural gathers at the back and sides, where the hide meets the waistband, and again at the end of the arms. Luckily, my Aero goat A2 is bang on, as far as I'm concerned. I find that the silhouette of an A2 goes best with relatively wide-legged pants with a trad waist height, whether you're talking carpenter pants, fuller-cut selvedge jeans or Dockers K1s, so you get the effect of a nipped-in waist from the jacket, rather than a paunch...

Personally, I find that the front-on view of my Highwayman is far less flattering than that of an A2, simply due to the 'gathers' caused by having to keep the side adjusters nearly all the way in, as the jacket's incredibly large around the waist...

CBI

One Too Many
I am sorry to say that I have spent WAY too much time of this very question over the years. If I had my way, I would wear AAC 40’s pinks and greens or a field uniform with an A-2 all the time - nothing looks cooler than this. Well, I wouldn’t really wear this get-up but I love the look and history.

By “A-2” I am assuming (a snob moment here) that you mean either an original A-2 or a high end repro. It’s a mild enough winter here to get away with an A-2 for the short jacket season. Yes, slim(ish) build works best however mall jacket “A-2’s” are cut pretty large so larger guys can make it work. I am lucky and in the slim camp.

All of my chinos, khakis, etc are repro WWII pants from places like At The Front or WWII Impressions. USMC HBT’s, Army HBT’s, Army Paratrooper pants (w/o the big side pockets) or dress OD officer pants. These looks great with an A-2 and are all high waisted and look more unique than “military inspired’ retail. The quality of these pants is outstanding and cost the same/ less than standard retail. For shoes, ATF WWII Army service shoes (boots) or brown leather Converse High Tops among other vintage looking shoes.

If I am wearing the above, I wear a denim, canvas or cotton shirt - something non-military looking (but usually a single color). I do this so I don’t look too “costumy” but its a close call sometimes! Option B is a repro WWII army OD shirt or cotton, canvas, etc. shirt in OD, white, blue with blue jeans. I agree a bit that jeans may not be the best with an A-2 but high-end Levis‘ LVC 1955 501s for example work well. I think standard retail jeans can work if they are not low-riders!

The main thing is to wear high waited pants if you can as that’s the waist line that these jackets were made for. Suspenders can be great with regular fit jeans. I have been able to dress things up with Army WWII OD wool pants, A-2 or A-1 jacket, tie, etc for meetings at work. I have to say that high waisted pants with suspenders wearing an A-2 "feels" a bit like you are living in another time!

No hats for me.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hello,

I wear my A2 with a business suit instead of the suit jacket. Also went for business meetings with this wardrobe. Never get any bad comment for it. Also no body told me that I look like Indiana Jones or something like this.

Olli

Same here, but I'm more casual and eschew ties whenever possible.
Own an Aero horse A2 with range markings/wrinkled leather that certainly
add character to a storied jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR