Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What grey is more versatile?

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
I'm in the process of shopping for a grey hat, probably from Hornet Hats, and probably their "Adventurer".

I don't have a quality grey fedora yet (just a Jaxon cheapie wool felt), and this will probably be my last hat purchase for some time (budget contraints), so this will likely be my only nice grey hat for the forseeable future.

I'm looking for opinions and reasoning on which grey, if any, is more versatile as far as matching to wardrobe, and for wearing to various functions and activities.

Should I get a charcoal grey (Hornet calls it "Bessemer), or a light grey?

Hornet Hats website (color samples viewable)

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
And, if it matters, here's the lineup of my current fedora colors. I have already:

Medium Brown
Light Brown
Dark Green
Navy

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

A warm, light to medium, grey is more versatile, as far as combining is concerned, than a charcoal or a steel or bluish grey. There is a grey in the Hornet panoply, called "Burma", which I think is an adequate one.

Of course the above depends on your wardrobe. If you are mostly into blues and cold greys, then the steel or blue grey may be better.

Regards!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I've always found a medium gray to be the easiest color to match with, especially if it has a black hatband. I usually don't even have to think about it, just grab my gray fedora and I'm off.

The light gray you talk about would probably be a little easier than a darker gray. Although, I have found silver gray and graphite gray to be fairly easy to wear with my pre-existing wardrobe as well.[huh]

tortswon

Practically Family
Suggestion

I believe you have an excellent hat shop in Cincinnati. I would go there and see which color is most appealing to you. Computer monitors are not uniform and what you see may not be what you get. Best, Sam

Feraud

Bartender
And the ribbon?

Are you also considering the color of the ribbon in terms of versatility?
Does a black ribbon look more or less versatile than a gray one?
Picture5676.jpg

Picture5589.jpg

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
tortswon said:
I believe you have an excellent hat shop in Cincinnati. I would go there and see which color is most appealing to you. Computer monitors are not uniform and what you see may not be what you get. Best, Sam

I've had this discussion before on this board . . . I'm not going to Batsakes.

Gus may be a wonderful guy and make great hats, but the woman working in his shop as his "sales" person is horrendous. She couldn't have made me feel more unwelcome if she had tried. I'm not the only person to have this experience.

I don't need an "exact" color. Charcoal is charcoal, and light grey is light grey. Various subtleties and undertones won't make a difference to me, as long as they are "grey".

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christy's

I just got a Christy's Adventurer in the light grey (and one in beige) about a month ago & I am 110% satisfied with it, I am sure you will not regret the purchase. I still maintain Hornet is one of the best buys going these days. Other than a single Akubra the three hornethats purchases I have recently made are my only non-vintage purchases in the last couple of years, if that tells you anything.

On top of that I have found their customer service to be unbelievable! They will change ribbons, bind brims... really top shelf!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hat Head said:
Various subtleties and undertones won't make a difference to me, as long as they are "grey".

You may not think it matters to you, but it matters. Versatility can have a great deal to do with subtle undertones and trim color. For example, both light and dark grays can have a very blue undertone, or could be more earthy. The ribbon choice will accentuate or downplay such "subtleties," and effect how versatile the hat is. "Charcoal" can be very earthy (as the name would imply), but I've seen charcoal gray hats that look almost blue! :eusa_doh:

My best advice would be to look for a gray that's warmer and earthier. Something with a slight brown undertone, like a granite or concrete. The closer to the mid-range, the more stuff it will match with. A dark gray or black ribbon is also best. When in complete doubt, light is better than very dark, because most modern dark grays seem to lean toward the cooler, bluer side.

carldelo

One Too Many
Ditto

handlebar bart said:
I think NB nailed it.:eusa_clap

Ditto NB's comments as well - here's my old Christy's in dark gray, probably the Bessemer color. It's only a few shades off black. I'd go with the light gray if versatility is the goal.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Hat stretching/Stretcher008.jpg

PS - Lord Best recently bought a Christys Homburg in light gray - looks good in the photos he posted - if you read the thread you'll see he finds even the light gray color to be somewhat dark: http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36598

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
You may not think it matters to you, but it matters. Versatility can have a great deal to do with subtle undertones and trim color. For example, both light and dark grays can have a very blue undertone, or could be more earthy. The ribbon choice will accentuate or downplay such "subtleties," and effect how versatile the hat is. "Charcoal" can be very earthy (as the name would imply), but I've seen charcoal gray hats that look almost blue! :eusa_doh:

My best advice would be to look for a gray that's warmer and earthier. Something with a slight brown undertone, like a granite or concrete. The closer to the mid-range, the more stuff it will match with. A dark gray or black ribbon is also best. When in complete doubt, light is better than very dark, because most modern dark grays seem to lean toward the cooler, bluer side.

Ponder his words, Hat Head. I have a gray/tan Beaver Hats fedora that I wear far, far more than any of my other 40+ hats. It goes with everything.

BobC

My first, and currently my only, custom from Art Fawcett is a granite Sportaire. For my first custom, I wanted the most versatility I could get to be able to wear the hat with many colors. I chose the granite because to my eye it has some brown tones even though it is predominantly gray. If you put the hat with khaki colored pants and say a blue shirt, the brown tones come out. The hat looks as good with earth tones as it does with grays or blacks.

bolthead

Not-Bogart13 said:

See, what'd I tell ya........very educational. :eusa_clap

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
My first, and currently my only, custom from Art Fawcett is a granite Sportaire. For my first custom, I wanted the most versatility I could get to be able to wear the hat with many colors. I chose the granite because to my eye it has some brown tones even though it is predominantly gray. If you put the hat with khaki colored pants and say a blue shirt, the brown tones come out. The hat looks as good with earth tones as it does with grays or blacks.

That was my first Fawcett as well. It's has proven to be my essential lid.:D

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
I've also been contemplating a gray hat to be my next acquisition. I think I like Art Fawcett's Blue Smoke especially after seeing the pics of Tom-n-Perris' new hat.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:

I couldn't say it better myself, so I'm not going to try. I'm posting because my experience corroborates this exactly. I have two grey Akubra hats, a cruiser grey CEO and a moonstone Federation IV Deluxe. Side-by-side, the two look pretty close; they are both mid-toned greys. The CEO, however, has a blue tinge to it while the moonstone is pretty neutral, or might have just a touch of tan in it.

The cruiser grey hat coordinates ONLY with the black/blue/grey spectrum, whereas I can wear the moonstone with anything, including browns and tans.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
JohnnyB53 said:
I have two grey Akubra hats, a cruiser grey CEO and a moonstone Federation IV Deluxe. Side-by-side, the two look pretty close; they are both mid-toned greys. The CEO, however, has a blue tinge to it while the moonstone is pretty neutral, or might have just a touch of tan in it.

The cruiser grey hat coordinates ONLY with the black/blue/grey spectrum, whereas I can wear the moonstone with anything, including browns and tans.
And here they are:

CEO1.jpg
FedIVDlx4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL