Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of Gatsby caps that Brett at B!Wear has made for me in record time. Made from vintage OD HBT fabric from WWII. Liners are red cotton and cotton flannel. One for summer one for winter. with liner fabrics are from leftover fabric that my Mom had gotten in the 70's. So a little history is being tied together.
Anticipation is killing me. They are in town at the post office and will be delivered tomorrow. It feel like I'm waiting for Santa to deliver my presents. I just need to go to sleep and it'll be there tomorrow. They'll be posted in the Cap Faction thread.

Cheers!

Dan

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I've soooooooo often looked at that hat. I like it very much but was concerned abt my mortal enemy... TAPER.

It is here. Your mortal enemy is a valid concern. Low crown and taper. Not even sure this is the correct style of hat. Aside from the color and dimensional brim, it is not what was expected.

Time to order a Fed IV - I guess...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm VERY SORRY to hear that. It is always a let down. Was that the Adventurer we were talkin abt? Fellow Lounger Ingineer just got his and I believe he rebashed it and changed the pinches and it looks alot nicer than from the factory. Did u see his pics...?

ingineer

One Too Many
Bob;
if it is between the Fed IV and the Adventurer, buy the Federation. now have 2 Feds
small difference but the Fed i like a whole lot more.
Trying to get the C crease out of the Advent is a PIA
Plus i know you might want a telescopic crease

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob;
if it is between the Fed IV and the Adventurer, buy the Federation. now have 2 Feds
small difference but the Fed i like a whole lot more.
Trying to get the C crease out of the Advent is a PIA
Plus i know you might want a telescopic crease

Thx Ingineer. I do like the telescope crease. I would just put that in another Camp Draft or get a Squatter. As you said the Fed is better. I agree. Its a fatter blocked hat w very little taper.

RJR

If memory serves,there are/were two sources of Adventurers.Mine came open crown (don't remember the source for certain) and with very slight taper compared to a Fed IV but others have spoken of heavy taper and pre bashed models.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
If memory serves,there are/were two sources of Adventurers.Mine came open crown (don't remember the source for certain) and with very slight taper compared to a Fed IV but others have spoken of heavy taper and pre bashed models.

I've noticed variences also, all across the board. Feds and Adventurers as well as Camp Drafts. Guess all blocks aren't the same. My Camp Draft seems to have more taper than some... I'm gonna try to post some pics of the new Imperial grade Tawny Fed that's gonna be shipped very soon. No taper in that hat!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ready to order this particular Fed. Very little taper.
c4ca4cf96a93f384d849a415288b230c.jpg
6b4a21e6a0116b2f2c9907c5102b9458.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DOGMAN

One Too Many

My Adventurer came open crown from David Morgan.

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I'm not sure this is the right spot for my comments, but...I've bought new hats and old hats. I got a panama and a felt from Stetson, and the panama was a disaster from the start. Stiff with a goopy cloth sweatband, it quickly developed a crack at the top front (and I know better than to grab hats that way), and cost over a hundred bucks. The other, felt, is okay, but that's it. It looks nice, but the brim is just folded over and glued. The sweatband is (I believe) some sort of imitation leather, stiff, unyielding and very thin material. The sweatband just looks and feels cheap. Over a hundred bucks as well. I realize welted brims as I have in my ancient Towncraft or Dobbs are simply a thing of the past. I picked up a used leather Rogue. Everyone thinks it's an Aussie hat, but it's really made in South Africa. A great hat, but a tad on the heavy side. Holds in there when it's windy. I have a beautiful Borsalino I bought used, but it's a dandy and my latest acquisition is my Akubra Stylemaster. Now this is my idea of a hat. Well-made, has a real flexible roan sweatband, the fit is right on, and the best part (although you can pay a lot more here in the US) I got it straight from Australia for a hundred bucks including shipping...and it didn't take long either! it really looks like it came out of '40s private eye flick and I love it. Maybe you can get a great felt hat with a genuine tangible roan sweatband here but I bet you'll pay in the neighborhood of $500. Akubra has all sorts of hats, something for everyone I imagine. The people who make Stetsons and all the other old brands they now own need to do a lot better. My old Dobbs Twenty (in original box) cost me $25.00 and it's almost like new. It's the real thing in a long oval (where do you find that these days) and fits as if it had been custom made for me. Every detail of the hat is perfect, the material, the trim, sweatband, ribbon. They didn't miss a thing. That's all.

javadave61

Practically Family
Bob, did you ever get your Stetsonian? I've lost track.

Mr. Albrecht, I find the premiere Stetson to be a big step forward from many of Stetson's usual offerings. But then again, I paid much less for mine at the Stetson outlet. If I had to pay full price ($200+), I'd certainly go with an Akubra. Speaking of which, you seem to really like your Stylemaster. It seems around here, with all the straight crown lovers, the Stylemaster is sometime spoken of as "too tapered." What do you think? I don't mind a little taper, so the Stylemaster is on my list of future hats.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob, did you ever get your Stetsonian? I've lost track.

Mr. Albrecht, I find the premiere Stetson to be a big step forward from many of Stetson's usual offerings. But then again, I paid much less for mine at the Stetson outlet. If I had to pay full price ($200+), I'd certainly go with an Akubra. Speaking of which, you seem to really like your Stylemaster. It seems around here, with all the straight crown lovers, the Stylemaster is sometime spoken of as "too tapered." What do you think? I don't mind a little taper, so the Stylemaster is on my list of future hats.

No Dave. I saw one in my size but didn't like some darker areas in the dye colring. Also the stitching was a little obtuse as well as the price. Went with another Fed instead. See pics above.

TheHatBro

New in Town
The Gotham - wife gave me a surprise present. Apparently, husbands get push presents too for having their first kid! I'm not sure how I managed that, but keep them coming.

ingineer

One Too Many
Mr. Albrecht wrote
"I bet you'll pay in the neighborhood of $500"
a lot less if you want bunny, you need to look at some of the custom makers on this board.
There is nothing that matches a fine Bespoke hat
you will see lots of recommendations for VS, NW, Tumwater etc

I remember the Rogue, one of my first hats when i had a
real job.
i think it was a called a Bush hat, nearly indestructible.
and contrary to your experience , most asked if i came from South Africa
And they made some desert shoes that felt like slippers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112