Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My summer straw; a new Sunbody hat.

Photoon2011-07-08at16385.jpg

Photoon2011-07-08at16324.jpg

It arrived last week, and with the brim down like an Australian hat usually is, but I curled it so it's more like a western hat. It's their "Fedora" model with the leather band. It looks better in person than on their website, actually.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's a really nice one, David. Art really nailed that sepia color! :) What is the actual color combo?

The Good: nice Sunbody. They're Guatemalan palm, right? Can you describe the feel/stiffness of the straw? I've been curious, because my Atwood palm straw is very rigid when dry.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think that sepia felt is one of Art's exclusives! :D

Actually this is my trusty Silverbelly VS. The ribbon is very dark green, looks black depending on the light.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I bought my first fedora today. I figure at age fifty-six it's time to put the baseball caps away and start dressing like a man my age. Anyway, it's a Pendleton made of paper that I bought in a department store for $48.00. It probably isn't of very good quality, but it's good enough to knock around in for now. I'll try to get a picture up soon. I have a bid in on Ebay for a 30's era felt fedora, but won't know anything for a few days yet.

I plan to buy a medium quality Panama from Bob in the next couple of weeks and hope to put in an order with Art Fawcett for a nice dress hat in the next few months. I'm excited about my foray into the world of classic-style men's hats and have learned a lot from the forum in a short time. This place is more addictive than crack.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a really nice one, David. Art really nailed that sepia color! :) What is the actual color combo?

The Good: nice Sunbody. They're Guatemalan palm, right? Can you describe the feel/stiffness of the straw? I've been curious, because my Atwood palm straw is very rigid when dry.

It is a very stiff hat, which is what I was after for durability purposes, but it's not uncomfortable. You have to get used to the feeling, but it sort of shrinks to your head shape the more you wear it. It's also like you say, Guatemalan palm, and you can even shape it while wet, although I have not yet completely drenched mine in water. I probably might accidentally, the next time I take it kayaking!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After a seven-month-long hat hiatus (not intentional, mostly due to indecisiveness), I've finally gotten myself another hat. A compliment on MayserWegener's most recent Goldsiegal acquisition led to MayserWegener offering to sell me his other Goldsiegal. I, of course, jumped at the chance, as this was one of my "Holy Grail" hats.

Once again, MayserWegener, thanks so much for the kind offer. The hat is incredible; the softness and malleability of the felt, the incredible feel of the finish (is it velour?) , and the richness of color make this hat an instant favorite! :D

untitled.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Bobm - thanks for the comment. The Sportaire has always been one of my favorites of Art's hats.

It is on his site in the Limited Editions Gallery. I can't link to it directly, but the example on the site is a green one. If I recall correctly, the brim on my hat isn't quite as wide as the original on the VS site.

Neo - WOW!! That looks great, congratulations. Well worth the wait!

After a seven-month-long hat hiatus (not intentional, mostly due to indecisiveness), I've finally gotten myself another hat. A compliment on MayserWegener's most recent Goldsiegal acquisition led to MayserWegener offering to sell me his other Goldsiegal. I, of course, jumped at the chance, as this was one of my "Holy Grail" hats.

Once again, MayserWegener, thanks so much for the kind offer. The hat is incredible; the softness and malleability of the felt, the incredible feel of the finish (is it velour?) , and the richness of color make this hat an instant favorite! :D

untitled.jpg

Neo, that hat is you for sure. I love the color combo and lines on that hat. Excellent choice!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
It is a very stiff hat, which is what I was after for durability purposes, but it's not uncomfortable. You have to get used to the feeling, but it sort of shrinks to your head shape the more you wear it. It's also like you say, Guatemalan palm, and you can even shape it while wet, although I have not yet completely drenched mine in water. I probably might accidentally, the next time I take it kayaking!

I really like the Sunbody. They make a great 40s style fedora when you shape them right. I got a new one this summer and immediately replaced the thin ribbon with a 1.5 inch Petersham that really made the hat look more dressy.

The key with palm straw is to not be afraid of getting it wet.

If you wet it down and wear it dry a few times, the straw will soften up a lot.

If the brim gets wavy at all, you just spritz it again and you can reshape it.

While palm straw is not as cool as some lighter straws, it is still great stuff, especially if you are in an "active" mode where a lighter straw might get damaged.

Sam

barrowjh

One Too Many
PB, that is definitely a new twist on using paja toquilla! I used to wear newsboy/driving caps before I recognized my need to have shade all around. We need a close-up on that hat, to better see the texture, the contrasting color woven in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy