Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a seven-month-long hat hiatus (not intentional, mostly due to indecisiveness), I've finally gotten myself another hat. A compliment on MayserWegener's most recent Goldsiegal acquisition led to MayserWegener offering to sell me his other Goldsiegal. I, of course, jumped at the chance, as this was one of my "Holy Grail" hats.

Once again, MayserWegener, thanks so much for the kind offer. The hat is incredible; the softness and malleability of the felt, the incredible feel of the finish (is it velour?) , and the richness of color make this hat an instant favorite! :D

Looks fantastic! Yes it is a Velour. You couldn't find anything like it being made today.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Aureliano, now you have my curiousity piqued - is that a Cuenca Llano weave, or am I having difficulty recognizing the weave? Other than being white (not sure about real color from the photo) I would have thought it a Montecristi because the weave looks consistent crown out through the brim edge, just presuming that most Llano weave come from there. I had gotten used to seeing at least a band of alternate weave (wider, flatter weave) around a hat, typically right after the crown/brim break, for Cuenca hats, but that hat doesn't show that.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
John, You're right in your assessment, man. This hat is woven like a montecristi, consistently throughout the hat as you say, except for the brim edge treatment that's not backwoven. It's a very finely woven, even weave hat. Homero Ortega, in my opinion, makes the finest Cuencas. I bought this last year in Quito. (I'm not well versed on weave type names... This could be a llano I think?... What is montecristi weave type called?)
Here's a studio shot. If you zoom it you can see how gorgeous it is. Worth every penny I paid for it.

9f1d2ba8.jpg

Last edited:

wing-nut

New in Town
I recently came home from a trip to Florida. My wife and I grew up there, but we had our daughters who have lived in Texas most of their lives. Our new son-in-law was also with us and he has never been to Florida. One of the must-do things was to visit Disney World. Early July in central Florida can be brutally hot and humid. I decided on one of Panama Bob's discount hats. (I actually wanted to upgrade but communication was hindered with PB as he traveled.) Of all the hats I saw at DW, I can honestly say that my panama was the best of that style. I saw a few cheapo stingy brim paper straw hats, but I did not see one other panama. After going in and out of air-conditioned buildings, heat, humidity and 2 short showers my hat held up really well. It kept me cool and shaded and feeling pretty stylish for a 50 year old man..

barrowjh

One Too Many
Aureliano, I think it is a llano weave, the typical Cuenca is a brisa weave. Some llanos go through Cuenca, where they are (supposedly, from what I have read) subjected to the same chemical bleaching as the brisas. Montecristi hats are only llano weave, and are bleached by sulphur smoke. This is all based on what I have read here and in a couple of books, presuming I recalled it from memory correctly.

wing-nut, I have some PB brisa-weave cuencas also, and they are well worth the coin spent. Same goes for a llano-weave simi-colado and fedora that came through PB.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano, I think it is a llano weave, the typical Cuenca is a brisa weave. Some llanos go through Cuenca, where they are (supposedly, from what I have read) subjected to the same chemical bleaching as the brisas. Montecristi hats are only llano weave, and are bleached by sulphur smoke. This is all based on what I have read here and in a couple of books, presuming I recalled it from memory correctly.

You are right, and this I know as I've actually seen weavers at work in Pile--my late dad had land in Manabi, about 45 minutes away from montecristi--and they use sulfur to treat the hats (I read somewhere that Optimo's montecrisitis don't use sulfur... and it might be true as mi brand new one doesn't have the characteristic smell of the mineral as my other ones do) Cuenca hats, are bleached with peroxide I was told-- if I remember correctly-- at the Homero Ortega shop)
When it comes to weave names I am an ignorant. Thanks for sharing that info with me. I strive to own straw hats that have the montecrisiti style, llano as you say it's called.

T Rick

Practically Family

wing-nut, I have some PB brisa-weave cuencas also, and they are well worth the coin spent. Same goes for a llano-weave simi-colado and fedora that came through PB.

While this is I think generally correct, there are of course exceptions. I have three of PB's Cuenca's, two are Brisa weaves and one is Llano. The Llano is the characteristic bleached white, while both Brisa weaves are actually a natural color (not sure if they are unbleached, or simply bleached less than the other).

Unfortunately, I also wore the Llano waeve to Disney on a very hot day (96 degrees F.) back in May. It was great for most of the day, but suddenly late I noticed I'd managed to sweat through the hat and it was badly stained. Doubt the stains will come out, though I've not tried yet. To make matters worse, on packing to come home, I managed to mis-pack the Panamas, and this one had the crown somewhat deformed from what it was. My current plan is to try to restore the shape by light wetting and then see if I can remove the stains. If that proves unsuccessful, I may try a different band (picked up a pugaree at Henry The Hatter's recently), or to dye it a darker color to hide the stains. It may simply be a lost cause, but as others have stated, straw hats may often be considered "disposable" anyway (one reason I am reluctant to go with a much higher quality one).

Oddly, my Brisa weaves are more open, and ventilate better. I probably would have been fine with one of them on that same day. I've also decided I must take even more drastic measures for occasions where I want a brimmed hat and anticipate high perspiration. I've ordered an Akubra Capricorn in Polypropylene, which should tolerate any amount of perspiration without staining I'd think. These were in stock in Fawn color at EA, and it's been shipped. They also make a few other Poly hats, some that look somewhat like Panamas, though these require the 3 month wait. Will probably order one or two of these before next Summer hits. And I'll be buying more from Panama Bob as well.

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
nice look . Iam thinking of mid night summers and Bergman. the ocean and solitude of an island,and of
course wearing a cool hat,minus the moody harangues of an unbearable woman.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Zetwal - thanks, it was a beautiful day with no nasty humidity.

Bond - I'll have to remember that part about the moody harangues of an unbearable woman - might come in handy!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Lefty - thanks to Zetwal helping out, it's 2nd time lucky with getting a Cobolt Blue Borsalino that works for me.

Good hat day today, the mailman brought me another package as well - contained some old beater Stetson that I acquired from Douglas. (Just kidding about the beater part - it's a rather special hat, pics to come later)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy