Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the name of this tune?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ladies and gentlemen of the Fedora Lounge, I come to you with a request...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo1JFbCT0EA&feature=related

Identify the tune that's playing in the background of that video. I've been trying to find out its name for the past 4 years without any luck at all.

If ANYONE can positively identify that song, I would be forever grateful.

Suggestions that people have given...

'Sing Sing Sing', from 1936 (not it).
'Hey Pachuco' by Royal Crown Revue (again, no).

Does anyone know the name of this song?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Shangas,

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia:_The_City_of_Lost_Heaven

The soundtrack to the game features Django Reinhardt and the Hot Club de France, The Mills Brothers, Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima, Lonnie Johnson, Latcho Drom and one track by Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five. The main theme to Mafia, along with the original score, was composed by Vladimir Šimůnek, and performed by the Bohemia Symphonic Orchestra conducted by Adam Klemens. The ending credits music is a cover of the song Lake of Fire, performed by the Lordz of Brooklyn. The last verse of the song borrows the musical arrangement of the theme song for the Godfather movies.

If that is the main theme, it seems to be a new composition that borrows heavily from tunes from the 1940's without being a bona fide title from that era.

That's my 2 cents and results of my google-fu

Cheers

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've got the soundtrack from Mafia, the whole thing, but I'm just curious as to what that tune in the background is. That trailer isn't the only trailer I've heard it in. It's also appeared in other movie & game-trailers and was wondering if anyone knew what it was, or if it's just some no-name generic jazz...

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I feel that Vladimir Simunek wrote music for this game with passages that SOUND like the ones from famous big band tunes.
His mimicry seems to include parts influenced by Sing, Sing, Sing, especially making use of Gene Krupas' "jungle" drum sound. The brass section, to me, sounds reminiscent of Woody Herman "Herd" era recordings with Bernie Glow, Ernie Royal, et al. The Clarinet soloing is more reminiscent Artie Shaw IMHO. Add in the syrupy saxophone section, and it's no wonder that you feel that you have heard this tune before. An almagamation of the sounds of all the best big bands in one cut, and no pesky royalties to pay....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo