Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
This is another listing from the auction site - a grey one, size 7 of course, too small. But again, Royal Stetson, Gun Club branding.

The Gun Club is a line of hats that has included a wide range of hat styles.

Most hats don’t have a dedicated name for small variations within a style (e.g., a dimensional brim fedora is just a fedora, a 5 1/2” crown fedora doesn’t have a different style name than a 6” crown fedora, etc.). Your Gun Club is a stingy brim with the crown shaped/creases/bashed into. Pork pie style. If you like this style you are in luck as they are fairly common and don’t usually sell for too much.

JimG

New in Town
Barn find: An unworn Stetson OR in it's original box found in a thrift shop. I'm thinking it's from the 50s based on the embroidered XXX liner but feel free to disagree. The style is an Open Road but there is no style name printed on it or on the box and the dimensions are on the low end of what I've read is typical of ORs (5" crown, 2.75" brim), but that makes it a very wearable hat. The felt is thin and stiff like an OR (vs. a fedora) but the crease is slightly different. Any thoughts? Is this an OR or something else. Also the box may help date it. I can't swear that's it the original box but given the state of the hat it's a pretty good assumption.

49610713386_30d8afa2a1_b.jpg
49610195948_890d45abe5_c.jpg
49610713376_e208bc7c09_c.jpg
49610967052_9aaf2c1a98_b.jpg
49610967092_c76595163b_c.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Barn find: An unworn Stetson OR in it's original box found in a thrift shop. I'm thinking it's from the 50s based on the embroidered XXX liner but feel free to disagree. The style is an Open Road but there is no style name printed on it or on the box and the dimensions are on the low end of what I've read is typical of ORs (5" crown, 2.75" brim), but that makes it a very wearable hat. The felt is thin and stiff like an OR (vs. a fedora) but the crease is slightly different. Any thoughts? Is this an OR or something else. Also the box may help date it. I can't swear that's it the original box but given the state of the hat it's a pretty good assumption.

Hell of a hat. Hell of a find. The box is even pristine.
I have this exact hat but a little older and minus pristine.
Your’s has maple leaf in the sweat crest, a liner with rear seam, a keyhole number/fraction size tag and a clear plastic tip protector so...i’m going with late 50’s.
One hell of a nice hat @JimG and welcome to the lounge.
Wear it well cause it is fine!
Bowen
Ps: not a branded OR but it is a 3X Last Drop ORish Stetson. Classic!

Pretty reasonable assumptions, but as Fruno points out, the 3ply ribbon disqualifies it from being an OR. 3x hats of that era tend to be liked around here.

True dat.

Hell of a hat. Hell of a find. The box is even pristine.
I have this exact hat but a little older and minus pristine.
Your’s has maple leaf in the sweat crest, a liner with rear seam, a keyhole number/fraction size tag and a clear plastic tip protector so...i’m going with late 50’s.
One hell of a nice hat @JimG and welcome to the lounge.
Wear it well cause it is fine!
Bowen
Ps: not a branded OR but it is a 3X Last Drop ORish Stetson. Classic!

What's the over and under on the rear vs side liner seams?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
An excellent find. You can wear that one proudly!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I need help tracking down a woven straw hat that has been eluding me for quite a while.

Here's what I know about it:
-The vent holes at the top of the crown are in a waffle pattern, and is about one inch wide
-the ribbon at the base of the crown is dark brown, and possibly one quarter inch thick
-crown has a Cattleman crease.
-Not ruling out a custom job, but Sue Moore (costume designer on the movie of origin) seemed to prefer found items, and not custom made costuming pieces.

6PGqTzd.png

I can provide further angles if necessary, but this is the highest quality image I have of this hat.

Mr Drop Bear

New in Town
EA779332-2654-497C-A7BF-1F57A45F5412.jpeg
D201D977-CA55-433E-A7EC-E48E3584E63A.jpeg
8B3CDF0F-46B0-421D-9E7E-4C5BDDCC902C.jpeg
Here’s hoping the aficionados on here can help me out. The attached photos were taken in 1980 when my Stetson hat was brand new. (I apologise in advance for the vintage 21-year-old me under the hat. That beard! What was I thinking?)
I bought it New at David Jones’ Castlereagh Street store in Sydney, Australia in 1980 and wore it for 35 years until it finally gave up the ghost in 2015. I’d like to replace it, but don’t know what model it is. Can anyone identify it?

Matt_SFL

Familiar Face
690C0F5B-4218-457F-BB54-44AEB48E2F2D.png
Hey it’s me again I’m appreciative of the help I got on my last post and wanted to share this hat and hopefully find out a hat that looks like this

I will be grateful with any help I get

It is a standard fedora/trilby with a shorter crown height and a little wider brim than a stingy. This looks to be upwards of a 2 1/4" width but may only 2" wide. Perspective is hard with upward angled shots. Hats in this style are a dime a dozen. I would check out Akubra, they have a number of models that are close to this style and you won't find better value in a hat. EveryThing Australian, Hats Direct in Aus are both great suppliers with super pricing. David Morgan is the US distributor....he is more expensive but delivery is much quicker.

There are soooo many hats that look similar to the hat in your photo. It’s looks to be a raw edge fedora of modest proportions in a common color scheme. Are you looking for a brand and model that can duplicate the look? Are you looking for a vintage hat or something new?

Id recommend taking a couple hours and going through a few hundred pages of the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread and taking notes on the hats that fit what you’re looking for.

It is a standard fedora/trilby with a shorter crown height and a little wider brim than a stingy. This looks to be upwards of a 2 1/4" width but may only 2" wide. Perspective is hard with upward angled shots. Hats in this style are a dime a dozen. I would check out Akubra, they have a number of models that are close to this style and you won't find better value in a hat. EveryThing Australian, Hats Direct in Aus are both great suppliers with super pricing. David Morgan is the US distributor....he is more expensive but delivery is much quicker.

Everything Australian has suspended international shipping during the Pandemic. I agree with your Akubra recommendation: great hats for the money. I sold off almost all of mine as I tried to pair down my collection and keep only the best. However, I’ve been buying a couple Akubras lately just because they fill a niche better than anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ