Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Aren’t they made in Spain and finished in the UK? Maybe I’m mixing brands up.

I wish I could remember where I saw the promotional video for Christy's that incidentally showed a Lock sweat die...

I'm not sure if the whole line comes from Christy's, but at least according to this 2012 report from Permanent Style's visit to the Christy's factory, they "supply" Lock and Bates. I do wonder about the Cambridge bowler, which only seems to come special order from Lock.

Hettie Heijnis

New in Town
I am a milliner and collector of vintage men's hats. Now I am setting up a webshop for stylish vintage men's hats. Can anyone tell me the name and / or history of this model made by Peschel? This model doesn't seem like a pork pie or a gambler to me. Hopefully someone can help me further.
[ATTACH = volledig] 282539 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = volledig] 282540 [/ ATTACH]

Hettie Heijnis

New in Town
Ik ben een hoedenmaakster en verzamelaar van vintage herenhoeden. Nu ben ik een webshop aan het opzetten voor stijlvolle vintage herenhoeden. Kan iemand mij de naam en / of geschiedenis vertellen van dit model gemaakt door Peschel? Dit model lijkt me geen varkenspastei of een gokker. Hopelijk kan iemand mij verder helpen.
voorkant.jpg
zijkant.jpg

Welcome to the lounge, Hettie. Always good to see another collector of fine vintage men's hats from the Netherlands here. Unfortunately the pictures of the hat didn't show up in the posting (at least not for me). Can you give it another go?

Ik ben een hoedenmaakster en verzamelaar van vintage herenhoeden. Nu ben ik een webshop aan het opzetten voor stijlvolle vintage herenhoeden. Kan iemand mij de naam en / of geschiedenis vertellen van dit model gemaakt door Peschel? Dit model lijkt me geen varkenspastei of een gokker. Hopelijk kan iemand mij verder helpen. View attachment 282541 View attachment 282542
Not a porkpie or a gambler, I agree. To my eye it's a fedora with a telescope crown. Not exaclty a full telescope crown; it seems the crown didn't have enough depth to get there completely, but I'd still call it a telescope crown though.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I refer to mine also as a modified telescope but it certainly holds its teardrop lineage. Another of those "in-between" creases, I suppose.

20200508_195425.jpg
Not a porkpie or a gambler, I agree. To my eye it's a fedora with a telescope crown. Not exaclty a full telescope crown; it seems the crown didn't have enough depth to get there completely, but I'd still call it a telescope crown though.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

nightcruller

New in Town
Gentlefolk,

I was re-watching a favorite Star Trek episode for the umpteenth time—Time's Arrow, a fun time travel one involving Mark Twain—and found myself wondering about Twain/Clemens' Panama:

Still image from Star Trek TNG episode Time's Arrow, Part II showing a close-up of Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) standing in the street, talking to a reporter holding a notepad sometime in the 1890s. Clemens is wearing a white three-piece with a white panama hat and holding a cigar. The reporter is wearing a dark brown suit with a homburg.

It's almost a short-crowned top hat, but with no flange on the brim. Or possibly a boater, but the crown is higher and more flared than boaters I'm used to. Does anyone know if this style has a definitive name, or who might be making them these days for the budget-conscious dilettante?

Anyone know what style this Hückel is called? I wouldn’t call it a homburg and the blocky crown looks odd. The bow is also unusual. Maybe Steve @mayserwegener can share his insights?

View attachment 282831 View attachment 282832
Except for the nap, my first thought was that it looked like the kind of hat that might have been worn by a Mortician a century or so ago when presenting himself to the family of the deceased. Of course, as usual I have absolutely nothing to back up that thought. I tried to find a photo or two, but it seems everyone in the funerary profession wore Bowlers, Top Hats, or some form of Coachman's hat, none of which matched this hat's shape or furryness. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ