Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this Palm Beach jacket...

Warbaby

One Too Many
I found this nifty Palm Beach jacket today at one of the local thrift stores. It's a style I'm not familiar with - where does one wear a jacket like this and what sort of trousers would be appropriate with it?

PBjacket1.jpg

The right shoulder looks a bit lumpy because the shoulder pad has come loose and is all bunched up.

PBjacket2.jpg

Nice buttons.

PBjacket3.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
A tuxedo jacket of some kind? Not sure when it's from, though. I lack the keen eye of some of our fellow loungers. In person, yeah, but photos, I'm not good with. Some black tux pants would work with it I'd say.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Narrow lapels and boxy shape identify it as an early '60s dinner jacket. Wear it with a black bow tie and black formal trousers to a 'black tie' event on a hot summer evening.

surely

A-List Customer
That sounds good Wolfmanjack, but it looks like a lawn bowling or cricket jacket, inho. I would get a pair of pants made out of the same kind of material & color, if possible, & with a black belt.

Jovan

Suspended
I'm pretty sure it's a dinner jacket as well. Shawl lapels are rarely seen outside of formal wear, but I have seen them on vintage tweeds. The effect was not good.

I'd have that shoulder fixed (any competent alterations tailor should be able to do it), bring out your favourite black dinner trousers, and wear it with pride to the next formal event.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Many thanks to all of you for the info and opinions. I like the jacket a lot and it fits me perfectly, so I'm going to give it a bath and have the shoulder pads replaced. Since it was a find on the final sale rack at the local thrift shop for $0.99, I can justify putting a few bucks into restoring it.

Although nothing ever happens around here that calls for a dinner jacket, at least it will inspire me to finally learn to tie a bowtie...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
This points out the importance of understanding the difference between Palm Beach fabric and the Palm Beach company. This is a jacket from the latter, and probably not made of the fabric.

Could you explain a bit about Palm Beach fabric - what it is and how to recognize it?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Wolfmanjack said:
Narrow lapels and boxy shape identify it as an early '60s dinner jacket. Wear it with a black bow tie and black formal trousers to a 'black tie' event on a hot summer evening.

Yep! A late 50's or early 60's dinner jacket it be! Black tux pants and black tie is proper for this jacket... maybe dare I ad, a black cummerbund? Yep, I do! lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
Could you explain a bit about Palm Beach fabric - what it is and how to recognize it?

According to Baron Kurtz it's a secret blend of rayon, linen and mohair. As to recognizing it, I don't know. I've never seen it. :eek:

Maybe the Baron will chime in here.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
This points out the importance of understanding the difference between Palm Beach fabric and the Palm Beach company. This is a jacket from the latter, and probably not made of the fabric.

Orgetorix is right... by the late 50's "Palm Beach" wasn't owned by the Goodall company anylonger. It wasn't the same hourse as it was in the years before the buy out.

The "Palm Beach" lable still is around, if one types in "Palm Beach" in an ebay search, you'll come up with many modern suits and sport jackets that are a far cry from the glory days of the Goodall "Palm Beach" company.

Nevertheles, it's a nice mid century jacket that can be enjoyed on summer evening formal events.;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Cummerbund? Pft. It should be optional only!

[Runs away dodging opera pumps and martini glasses.]

Well my friend, I didn't say it wasn't optional did I? ;)

I recall seeing many such things being worn in late 50's and early 60's movies with such formal attire... I think it would look swingin' if worn correctly.

Jovan

Suspended
Oh, I was only being serious. ;)

I don't really have enough experience wearing black tie to say anything from it. I will say I like both looks, with or without, though. Someone here said something about ditching the cummerbund with a white dinner jacket when it's warm. Makes sense to me. [huh]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
The "Palm Beach" lable still is around, if one types in "Palm Beach" in an ebay search, you'll come up with many modern suits and sport jackets that are a far cry from the glory days of the Goodall "Palm Beach" company.

Ain't that the truth. Everytime I go thrift hunting I turn up a dozen horrible "Palm Beach" suits and sports coats from the 1970s and '80s. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany