Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Jabos

A-List Customer
The Fork Tailed Devil!

Andover2copylighter.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Oh, forgot to mention the 'classic' B-52. It's Golden Age (barely, but still...), and properly cared for, it's more durable than any of us! I think I saw something once where it's possible to have had three generations work on the same airframe...

Almost nothing makes me shed tears, but seeing those old birds getting chopped at the Boneyard never fails to do the job.
I agree. The B-52 has been reassuringly malevolent for 50 years.

Warden

One Too Many
_47276721_vulcanmiller.jpg

The owners of the last airworthy Vulcan Cold War bomber say a financial crisis could see the plane and "a part of British history" lost from the skies forever.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8508604.stm

Noooooooo, keep it flying

Seen this plane a fly at events a few times last year. So sad to think it may not fly again.

Harry

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Might I suggest for your consideration...

Fighter: F4U Corsair
Strafer/Med Bomber: B25 a la George I "Pappy" Gunn conversion.
Strategic Bomber: B17

Now, how about the third most destructive individual aircraft - after the Enola Gay and Bocks Car - in World War II? You guessed it, the Piper L-4 Cub!

Unarmed in itself, the L-4 was one of the most feared aircraft in the Allied arsenal because it figuratively carried the armament of a battalion of artillery everywhere it flew. Take a pot shot at a grasshopper and your position could see more explosives dropped on it than even the largest bomber could deliver - and it could keep dropping all night long, if needed. When a L-4 flew over, the only thing that moved were the Germans' eyes, watching it pass by!

Sarge
DevilDog.gif

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Most Wanted WWII Plane

I was wondering which WWII airplane would you most like to owen? Now I am talking if price was no object, your best friend is Bill Gates, you can buy entire countrys with your money! I do not want to know which you think was the best, that subject has done been beat to death. Mine would be a Brewster Buffalo, I know one of the worst, except in the hands of the Fins! Maybe it was the stories of those Marines at Midway, I don't know, but I would love to find one in a barn! Whats yours?
CLA48100_01.jpg

P-61 Black Widow or an A-26 Invader with the gunship-nose and full underwing gun-pods. Both extremely maneuverable for twins, with plenty of room for cargo or a passenger or two, and well equipped to defend themselves if somebody tried [voice=Johnny Depp as 'Jack Sparrow']something... unbelievably... stupid.[/voice]

Failing that, make mine either an Avenger or a two-seater conversion from an Ho229 flying-wing.

And for any of these, an "Exemption to the Rules" that would let me keep them fully armed and operational, aside from deactivating the rocket/bomb/torpedo racks. (Externals, I'd have converted for fuel-tanks, or USAF-surplus baggage pods.)
----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Three Barrels Under
via FoxyTunes

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
gall61024.jpg

This one, thank you!:)
Might come as a surprise with my "Loungename" and all - but I really love the Hurricane.
(And I think the Spitfires might be sold out by now.)
So - I would settle for the good, steady ol' Hurri. The unsung hero of Battle of Britain.

Eyemo

Practically Family
My next on the list...Miss Helen would be mine!Flew in her for the Battlestations doco I worked on..

cco23i

A-List Customer
Even though we do displays with the 17 and 24, I LOVE the Hurricane! Yup, like Spitfire said, an unsung hero! It looks sweet too!!

Scott

RLM

Familiar Face
Tough call, there are so many that I'd love to have. I guess it would have to be a P-47, either style canopy, doesn't matter much which. I love those big ole radial engines. Second choice would be a Spitfire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot