Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I absolutely adore red lippie! With my pale skin and dark hair I feel very lucky that I can pull off the bright red lippie look :D

I use Almay lipliner in red (it even has a sharpener at the end of it!), followed by Maybelline forever lipcolour in flame, topped with Almay red lipgloss. When I'm just popping out and don't want to do the full face I jsut pop on the lipgloss. I love it!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ShrinkingViolet said:
I just chanced upon this website: http://www.lipstickqueen.com
Has anyone seen or tried these lipsticks? I love the Aubrey Beardsley-style packaging!

This looks like a very nice Red indeed. And I like the two different types of the same shade. I'm very intrigued and wanting to buy. Maybe after CHristmas.. I have to see if I got any new makeup first! :D

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
Maybelline

I don't usually buy this line, but for some reason I happened to be scanning that makeup area in some store about 5 years ago and spotted that PERFECT red lipstick. It's called Maybelline Forever Lipcolor in 150 Flame. It's this great deep yet bright crimson color.
I wore it right after buying it, but it always bled by the end of the day, so after a while it just ended up in my refrigerator, unused for the next 5 years. On a whim, I tried it the other day, layering and blotting three times. With that new treatment, it stays put forever and a day. I'm not even sure if they make the stuff anymore, sadly.:(

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I think I've found my perfect dramatic evening red - L'oreal Garnet Creme.

The Lipstick Queen range is by an Australian called Poppy King. She had a lipstick brand years ago called Poppy, with a focus on red and a few different textures available: matte, cream, metallic etc. I still have a dark pink/red cream lipstick from the brand sitting around, actually. I'll have to try to get hold of some of the new lipsticks to try.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Sylvanrealm said:
I don't usually buy this line, but for some reason I happened to be scanning that makeup area in some store about 5 years ago and spotted that PERFECT red lipstick. It's called Maybelline Forever Lipcolor in 150 Flame. It's this great deep yet bright crimson color.
I wore it right after buying it, but it always bled by the end of the day, so after a while it just ended up in my refrigerator, unused for the next 5 years. On a whim, I tried it the other day, layering and blotting three times. With that new treatment, it stays put forever and a day. I'm not even sure if they make the stuff anymore, sadly.:(

Maybelline makes flame in their superstay lipcolor. I only aquired it because my mother in law purchased it and didn't like the red on her. I am wearing it in the pic I posted under the show us your hair thread. That pic was taken at the end of the night...after dinner...and I didn't touch up prior to the pic being taken. I had applied it about 6 hours prior.lol I am considering buying another tube of it because it is such a nuetral red.

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
pennyseranade said:
Maybelline makes flame in their superstay lipcolor. I only aquired it because my mother in law purchased it and didn't like the red on her. I am wearing it in the pic I posted under the show us your hair thread. That pic was taken at the end of the night...after dinner...and I didn't touch up prior to the pic being taken. I had applied it about 6 hours prior.lol I am considering buying another tube of it because it is such a nuetral red.

Oh yay! What good news! I was starting to feel hopeless; I'd resigned myself to having to buy only from Besame after this (I love their Cherry Red and Red Velvet). I looked up the picture and thought the color looked a bit different than my own, but then, colors do look differed depending on actual lip color and the effect of cameras. I did find this picture from 3 or 4 years ago...this looks like the lipstick.

944975404_l.jpg

SarahLouise

Practically Family
glamour-girl said:
you should also try revlon's volcanic red, it's a soft daytime red. i'm also very pale and it's one of my favorits ;)

I bought this a few months ago as I wanted something more soft for work, as I wear bright red all of the time, but this looks more coral to me and not red at all. It is quite nice but not entirely sure if it suits me. Coral was a popular vintage choice - Marilyn Monroe and Betty Grable wore it a lot.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Emmababy said:
I was thinking I might post pictures of me wearing the essentials in red lipstick - MAC's Ruby Woo, Russian Red, MAC Red, Glam, Viva Glam and Besame's Red Velvet, Besame Red and Cherry Red. Sadly i've not been able to find Cherries In The Snow by Revlon :(

A lot of the colours available in the US aren't over here in the UK unfortunately. I've ordered Cherries in the Snow and a few others from Ebay that have been recommended. As they are so cheap (a couple of pounds) it's no great loss if they end up not suiting you.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
yay for Viva Glam! I love it, but it makes my mouth look small and my lips thin. My favorite right now is MAC's Dubonnet, and a new one I picked up at a pharmacy store (ala Longs/Walgreens/Rite Aid/CVS) Maybelline's MOisture Extreme "Classic Crimson" Great for daytime.. not too overpowering.

I have exactly the same problem with Viva Glam. It seems to shrink my already small mouth! I liked it a lot more when I tried it in the shop to be honest. I much prefer the Mac Red shade as it seems to be exactly the same colour but not matte.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
SarahLouise said:
A lot of the colours available in the US aren't over here in the UK unfortunately. I've ordered Cherries in the Snow and a few others from Ebay that have been recommended. As they are so cheap (a couple of pounds) it's no great loss if they end up not suiting you.

Luckily I still have an entire tube of Cherries in the Snow, but since I heard it was discontinued I've been looking out for it and haven't seen either the lipstick or the nail polish anywhere here. It's a shame, because although I don't wear it often I love it to bits.

Sweet_Lorraine

New in Town
My everyday red is L'Oreal Endless in Fired Up. It's inexpensive enough to use all the time and has great staying power.

I save my MAC Dubonnet, Besame Red, and Besame Cherry Red for evenings out or special occasions. With 3 kids who all expect college educations, I have to save my pennies where I can... lol

I wore Besame Red the other night, and my 7 year old son kept saying how much he loved it, so I may have to wear that one a little more often! :D

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
I wear B?©same Red Velvet, Cherry Red, and Noir Red. While I believe all of these would look well at night, I use them differenty during the day. Red Velvet is the subdued, elegant, polite one, while Cherry Red is her saucier sister, and Noir Red is her spooky gothic cousin. So if I wear Noir Red during the day, I blot it into a stain so it isn't too much! When I feel that red itsself is "too much" for a social situation, I use B?©same's Chocolate Kiss (not red, though). I enjoy B?©same's cosmetics a great deal--those lipsticks are so heavily pigmented that it doesn't take much, and lasts a long time on your lips. Also many compliments in your lipstick tube while you apply! I want a vintage lipstick case, though. Hmmmm.

I've also been using NARS Lip Stain Gloss. Their blurb: Longwearing matte lip color in a revolutionary non-drying formula. The silicone-based, non-transfer formula glides on smoothly to achieve perfect looking lips for hours. Enriched with natural moisturizing properties, lips feel smooth and hydrated for a velvety feel and a dramatic matte look. But it's true! It's really lovely stuff, and it's what I'm wearing in my avatar.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Does anyone use a lip primer? Now that I am getting a little older I'm starting to get a little 'feathering' around the edge of my not-very-full lips when I wear lipstick. Does primer help? I've just ordered the MAC one and it claims to ease this problem. Does anyone else have trouble with lipstick making them want to chew the inside of their lips something chronic?! It drives me crazy so I only wear lippy when I am going out and never during the day for work and I would LOVE to wear it during the day too.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
MissHannah said:
Does anyone use a lip primer? Now that I am getting a little older I'm starting to get a little 'feathering' around the edge of my not-very-full lips when I wear lipstick. Does primer help? I've just ordered the MAC one and it claims to ease this problem. Does anyone else have trouble with lipstick making them want to chew the inside of their lips something chronic?! It drives me crazy so I only wear lippy when I am going out and never during the day for work and I would LOVE to wear it during the day too.

I have the MAC one! I don't have the feathering problem (yet), but I've noticed that using it regularly makes my lips really soft, so the lipstick has a smooth surface to go on...no chapped placed to get caught in. It seems like it probably would help feathering by making the area less dry.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I have to say that at the moment I have a preference for the brand Chanel. My new lipstick is called Rouge Allure in Garnet Fire!! It's really confortable and my lips are not dry at all!!

Serafina

New in Town
MissHannah said:
Does primer help?

I actually use my stick of foundation/concealer/powder on my lips to create the base. I find it helps keep the color in place. I also use a lip pencil and after I apply the lipstick I blot until dry and then apply one more coat and don't have problems with my lipstick migrating.

I used to use Benefit's "Briefing" which was a creamier version of their "Dietrich", both of which have now been discontinued since Benefit was acquired by Louis Vuitton. So my last tube of Dietrich is now dwindling, so I'll have to try some of your recommendations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails