Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

JennyLou

Practically Family
I currently use Clinique's Vintage Wine for everyday use. I love how well it stays on. But when I need superstaying power I use Maybelline's Superstay Lipcolor in Wine. I just hope they are the right reds for me...I always had trouble picking out the right color makeup for me.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I use my Besame lipsticks I keep getting surprised about how lasting they are, they never feather on me (MAC does e ven with lipliner). Right now I am loving Red Hot Red..

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
All lipsticks feather on me [huh] MAC, Bésame, with liner or without... I have to use a clear outliner to avoid this.

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i'v recently discovered this amazing product called lipcote, you apply it over your lipstick and it really lasts all day, without feathering fading.;)
3203657930318080_1.jpg

julia

New in Town
Hi. I am 17 and have always loved how red lipstick looks, but I have never tried it myself. Do you think I could pull it off? Or is it too old for me? I have an oval face, light skin, (the lightest shade in estee lauder's foundation matches me perfectly) brown eyes and hair. Thank you!

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
julia said:
Hi. I am 17 and have always loved how red lipstick looks, but I have never tried it myself. Do you think I could pull it off? Or is it too old for me? I have an oval face, light skin, (the lightest shade in estee lauder's foundation matches me perfectly) brown eyes and hair. Thank you!

red lipstick is ageless.end of story.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Julia, of course you can use red lipstick! If the change is too drastic, why not try a red lipgloss, i found it easier to wear glossy shades when I started wearing red and then slowly moved on to more matte lipsticks.

MissLemmon

New in Town
I am currently using CoCo Red 08 with the lip liner. It does not wear off easily, and a little goes a long way. So lasts longer.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I've never worn lipstick to be honest, up until recently I have tried to just blend in because of my height and confidence issues. I really love the look of red lipstick and have seen most of you recommend MAC. Probably a silly question, but if I go to their counter will they help me find a shade? If I remember correctly from shopping with my mother, they have samles of all of the colors and will help you?

Inky

One Too Many
miss_killin said:
I've never worn lipstick to be honest, up until recently I have tried to just blend in because of my height and confidence issues. I really love the look of red lipstick and have seen most of you recommend MAC. Probably a silly question, but if I go to their counter will they help me find a shade? If I remember correctly from shopping with my mother, they have samles of all of the colors and will help you?

Yes, definitely they will help you. It's in their best interest to get you to buy, so they've always been great at any MAC counter/store for me.

I like Russian Red best of all, then M.A.C. red and I do like Ruby Woo, thought it's VERY matte and drying, I don't wear it unless I know I don't want to be re-applying my lippie. It's a more cherry-pink-red as well.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Is there a Revlon/L'oreal/some other drugstore brand equivalent to Russian Red or Ruby Woo? I know they'd probably not last as long and I'm okay with that, I just mean the shade. I can juuuust squeeze out money for another drugstore lipstick but I don't think I can handle a trip to the MAC counter just now. :eek:

julia

New in Town
I took a well deserved trip to the mall today and bought a MAC lipstick and lip pencil. I love them! The color of the lipstick is Russian Red and the pencil is Brick. I put some burts bees lip balm over the lipstick when it begins to feel too dry.
I can't stop smiling and looking in the mirror! It is a major confidence boost!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
julia said:
I took a well deserved trip to the mall today and bought a MAC lipstick and lip pencil. I love them! The color of the lipstick is Russian Red and the pencil is Brick. I put some burts bees lip balm over the lipstick when it begins to feel too dry.
I can't stop smiling and looking in the mirror! It is a major confidence boost!

My perfect combo! Hehehe.. Those are a must for me!:D

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Are you supposed to wear liner with red lipstick? Do you use it to line or to fill in the whole lip before you use the lipstick? I thought I had read somewhere to apply the liner to the whole lip as a base. [huh]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
yeah lip liner...

The liner helps to get the mouth shaping even and well defined. Also so the lipstick doesn't "travel" with hours of wearing it. It really gives you a finished look. You want your lip liner to match the lipstick shade as best you can ideally. I prefer the pencil kind that you have to sharpen over the twist up type of lip liner and eyeliner too, the twist ups are very soft and I can't get a good line with them.

miss_killin said:
Are you supposed to wear liner with red lipstick? Do you use it to line or to fill in the whole lip before you use the lipstick? I thought I had read somewhere to apply the liner to the whole lip as a base. [huh]

Inky

One Too Many
miss_killin said:

I use a couple things - the Benefit D'finer D'Liner invisible lip liner all the time around the outside edge of where I use the lip liner. I get no feathering no matter what brand or color.

Then I use a lip pencil (I currently love Clinique's Rich Red) to line. On my top lip i curve slightly outside the line (which is where a matching shade is so important or it looks bad) to get a better shape, then I color in the lip with the liner, but not too solid. Basically i sort of feather the line into towards the lips if that makes sense. It's so I don't get a harsh line of lip liner. then I use lipstick, blot, and sometimes reapply, depends on the color. I usually touch up the edges to blend with a lip brush. I love a good well-defined lip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy