Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Flyboy

New in Town
Laphroaig Cask Strength, enjoyed under a tree, in a snowstorm, with a splash of mountain creek water.

Man, that was a helluva trip.

Lancealot said:
This has been replaced with Dalmore Gran Reserva. I haven't tracked a bottle down yet but it's on the list.

It has indeed. Noting that the Gran Reserva is twice the price of the old Cigar Malt, It is not exactly the same. It was purported to be but it has its own taste to it. It has a fair amount of peatiness to it and some salt air for a Highland but it balances that with a smooth dried fruit taste and finishes with a bit of spiciness to it.
The cigar malt was less refined with a vanilla, sweet black cavendish and citrus scent to it. It was perfect for a cigar because it was not overpowered by the cigar. I hate to say it but the Gran Reserva is similar in character to the Dalmore 21 (in price and character by the way) not the cigar malt of old. :( [huh]
I still can appreciate it but they went far to refined on the Gran Reserva to have it paired with a cigar as well as their old cigar malt would have been. Come to think of it, I am going to have to send a similar missive to Dalmore as they email me all the time now with their super high dollar offerings. I gues that is what I get for pestering them for months about the Cigar Malt's replacement. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

SteveAS

Practically Family
I usually like islays, my favorite of which is Talisker 57 North, but I've really been enjoying Aberlour a Bunadh (sp?) lately. Its sweet, richness is taking the chill out of these winter evenings very nicely.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I picked up a Dalwhinnie 15 year old for a very good price. This is not an in your face Scotch but has a lot of complexity if you give it a chance. Might be the best value 15 year old out there.

Warden

One Too Many
Thought this might interest you all

Shackleton's whisky recovered from South Pole ice

Five crates of Scotch whisky and brandy belonging to the polar explorer Ernest Shackleton have been recovered after more than 100 years in the ice.

_46736289__45308747_shackletonshut2_1-1.jpg

See BBC new story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8499931.stm

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16, Oban 14, Caol Ila 12. Obviously I'm a big fan of the Islays - I love the peat and smoke and brine.

univibe88

One Too Many
ScotchWhisky said:
Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16, Oban 14, Caol Ila 12. Obviously I'm a big fan of the Islays - I love the peat and smoke and brine.

You have great taste :eusa_clap

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScotchWhisky said:

Since you are an islay drinker, what are your impressions of Lagavulin? I have been wanting to try it, but all that I read suggests that it's pretty stand alone scotch. Just curious what you think.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
BobC said:
Since you are an islay drinker, what are your impressions of Lagavulin? I have been wanting to try it, but all that I read suggests that it's pretty stand alone scotch. Just curious what you think.

[Forgive me if this lacks the proper terminology - I am a self-taught Scotch lover and I don't always use the proper terms. Hopefully the point is clear anyway. :eek: ]

If I remember correctly, Lagavulin was made specifically to somewhat mimic the notes of Laphroaig, and to some extent I'm sure it's unavoidable, since they are made so close together, and the environmental factors that make Islays so distinctive are probably almost identical. It's milder than Laphroaig (I assume that this is at least in part due to the six-year difference in their ages), and also has more sweetness to it. Laphroaig starts with a real kick - that sort of love-it-or-hate-it medicinal taste from the iodine, but softens at the finish, almost with a sort of salted toffee flavour. Lagavulin (for me) doesn't have those distinct "stages" to its taste. The sweetness is interwoven with the brine and peat and seaweed tastes.

I'm biased, since I'd rather drink Laphroaig than anything else 90% of the time, but Lagavulin is most certainly my second favourite Islay. I certainly recommend that you try it. Enjoy!

riskyB

New in Town
Dalwhinnie 15 yr and Cragganmore 12 yr as of late. And to finish off the evening, a Rangpur martini.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner