Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your personal 'No-No' for makeup, hair, & wardrobe?

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Too much rouge is the worst it makes you look like you've been slapped on each cheek! Applying lipliner line around your lips with out any color filled in on the inside of your lips is unattractive! Whereing black stockings or tights with white shoes or heels is the worst!

Grace

Vendor
No white shoes. Ever. I just can't stand them for some reason. No square, chunky heels. No square toed shoes.
I have no boobs, so no high necklines. No flat hair. I have to tease my hair before leaving the house. Cannot leave the house without makeup, or wearing 'real clothes' as in no PJs in public. EVER.

GOK

One Too Many
Oh dear gods, I have so many!***

Makeup

No glitter
No coloured eyeshadow unless it's a very subtle brown (I usually just wear a highlighter and a touch of black eyeliner)
Certainly no under-eye liner (though I think I look odd without mascara on my lower lashes)
No orange or yellow tones. Despite having almost jet black hair and dark brown eyes, I have a very pale cool-toned complexion - anything with orange looks vile on me.
No lip colour other than scarlet (unless it's slightly darker than scarlet!)!
No chipped nail polish, either on toes or fingers (I don't actually wear polish on my fingernails as it slides right off. No matter what I've tried, it doesn't stick to my nails...and they're not oily or anything. My toenails are fine though.)
No contrasting liner and lippy
No semi faded lippy - it's all or nothing!

Hair

I hate my hair being a mess. If I don't have the time to curl it properly, I'll either straighten it or plait it. I will not go out with it wet and unruly. Full stop.

Apparel

Nothing that isn't black, dark green or scarlet. I wear no other colours!
No glitter, lam?© or lurex!
No scuffed heels or dirty shoes
No snagged stockings
No washed-out grey underwear (ewww!)
No unmatching lingerie
No shapeless baggy attire - must be tailored
No jeans
No trousers shorter than the top of my foot
No apparel in need of repair (I carry a small sewing kit in my bag for emergencies!)
No creases
No stains
No ill fitting bras
No thongs or other knickerage on show, especially not peeking out above the waistband
No patterns other than gingham, tweed or polka dots
No gold
No low rise trousers - after three children, it's not a pretty sight :(
No sportswear
No sports shoes
No vintage later than my birth year!
No shorts

*** DISCLAIMER: the above is my opinion of what doesn't work for me, not a treatise on what other people shouldn't do :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
No Electric Blue, plain black, white or Yellow clothes. I look like death or I have a nasty tropical disease! I too am an autumn in the colouring department, although I can wear dusky/browny pinks. I suit the weird colours - mustard, olive, orange. Also maroon, navy and green are fine and lots and lots of brown. Luckily plenty of vintage clothes are those colours!

I am very pale, so I almost always wear blusher and I don't leave the house without mascara as my eyelashes are blonde at the tips making them look short. I always wear an SPF15 year round on my face.

Clothes that don't come in at the waist are not worth wearing. Looks like maternity clothing. Some of my Vintage friends and I discussed this and we are all curvy with waists, regardless of what size clothes we wear. This it seems is rare these days! Unless I make them it is really hard to get skirts that fit in both the hip and the waist. Not that most clothes are made to sit on the waist today.

GOK

One Too Many
I agree Sis, on the rare occasions that I buy clothing, I always have to take it in at the waist. Is the average woman really man-shaped from the waist down? :eek: And speaking of which, why don't men's trousers have high enough waists these days? I loathe, loathe, loathe that belly overhang look so many men seem to sport now. And don't even get me started on untucked shirts....:mad:

ladyk

Familiar Face
I never wear fabrics that cling - no lycra, no stretch. Which pretty much rules out all modern knitwear, other than those sold by Marks and Spencers. Good old M&S...

I don't have any rules on colours, I got lucky with my genetics so I can wear pretty much anything. Things I will never wear for asthetic and personal choices, there there are many;
fur - never ever. Not even if its vintage. I could never feel comfortable in it, I only wear leather if it is vintage;
skirts above the knee - I'm not 17 any more after all;
flat shoes - they send me on a one way trip to dumpy land;
stiletoes - I have ropey ankles so unless its a decent heel, I'll be falling off my shoe before I've even left the house. Besides, traveling in London you will get them stuck in grates, tube doors...much to my humiliation.
Anything that isn't tailored. Since there is a 12 inch difference between my waist and my hips, I echo the maternity wear sentiment. When did figures change so much? and thank the heavens I stayed behind...

manton

A-List Customer
GOK said:
And speaking of which, why don't men's trousers have high enough waists these days?
Sorry to intrude, but I think I know the answer. It's because men came to hate suspenders/braces and prefer belts. Or, at least, some men came to hate them, while others came to see them as affected one way or another, so that even if a guy likes them, he won't dare wear them to the office for fear of being ridiculed by his colleagues. High rise (i.e., natural waist) trousers really need suspeders to stay up, with rare exceptions depending on a guy's shape. On most, they just slip to the hips. So the makers started making trousers to be worn at the hips in the first place.

Also, high rise trousers came to be seen as "old man". This is probably related to the decline of suspenders, in that each is seen as old world, and therefore archaic, elderly, etc. Since suspenders and high rise trousers naturally go together, they both acquired this stigma.

It also has a little to do with the popularity of Italian and Continental tailored clothing over the past few years or decades. The Southern Italians especially have always prefered narrow legged, low rise trousers because they are built for them. When the "Neapolitan look" became the rage in the 90s, these were everywhere. Men bought them regardless of whether their bodies were necessarily flattered by them. They still do. The belly-hanging-over-the-belt look is distressingly popular in the office buildings of midtown Manhattan.

GOK

One Too Many
Thank you for that, Manton - I see what you mean about old man pants too! Still, on younger men (y'know, thirties to fifties for example), they can look incredibly sexy ;)

manton

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Thank you for that, Manton - I see what you mean about old man pants too! Still, on younger men (y'know, thirties to fifties for example), they can look incredibly sexy ;)
I get 75% or so of my suits with high rise, high back brace trousers. The remainder are all summer suits. These I wear with belts, though the rise is still quite a bit higher than what I could buy off the rack. I can't stand suspenders in summer.

BTW, I am 36. Yes, I have to endure mild ridicule from time to time. But I can live with it.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
:) Hey neat thread idea!:)

My personal no-no's are:

-Pale lipstick, especially if it's used with dark liner.:eek:
-A tan, not only unhealthy (unless it's from a bottle) but fake is orangey looking, but not very vintage, and I just look strange with a tan.:D
-Obnoxious perfume, the kind you can smell a mile away.

And one for the gentlemen: 'low riding' where the boxers are exposed because the pants are belted at the thighs, or knees:eek: :eek: I hate that, it's right there with hiney cleavage.

GOK

One Too Many
manton said:
I get 75% or so of my suits with high rise, high back brace trousers. The remainder are all summer suits. These I wear with belts, though the rise is still quite a bit hgher than what I could buy off the rack. I can't stand suspenders in summer.

BTW, I am 36. Yes, I have to endure mild ridicule from time to time. But I can live with it.

Yes but I bet you look fab though! :D Are braces (suspenders) really that uncomfortable in the summer? You should try wearing a bra, stockings and suspenders (garter belt)!

......Ummm, I didn't mean that as a serious suggestion of course! lol

CanadaDoll said:
:) Hey neat thread idea!:)

My personal no-no's are:

-Pale lipstick, especially if it's used with dark liner.:eek:
-A tan, not only unhealthy (unless it's from a bottle) but fake is orangey looking, but not very vintage, and I just look strange with a tan.:D
-Obnoxious perfume, the kind you can smell a mile away.

And one for the gentlemen: 'low riding' where the boxers are exposed because the pants are belted at the thighs, or knees:eek: :eek: I hate that, it's right there with hiney cleavage.

:eusa_clap

I never let the big yellow hurty thing in the sky get its evil clutches on my skin! Pale is good, mmmkay! The pale lippy and dark liner seems to be de rigeur amongst the more dubious elements of female society here, so quite apart from looking horrible (IMO), there are the connotations that go with it (e.g. troublemaking, ASBOs, beer monsters etc).

I find that strong perfume gives me a headache anyway, so it's doubly bad if it smells foul as well. I think one of the vilest scents I've ever smelled is Paris (closely followed by Poison). I don't know if it's particularly strong or that the wearers drown themselves in it. Either way, it makes me feel ill. Give me Chanel any day, Dahlink!

Trousers belted at the thighs or knees? Do explain! I have such a strange image in my head, which I'm sure can't be right! And what is hiney cleavage? Is it like builders' bum? Heheh!

manton

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Are braces (suspenders) really that uncomfortable in the summer?
I am bothered by the summer heat more than most. I find the extra straps of material from suspenders just add insulation I don't need.

You should try wearing a bra, stockings and suspenders (garter belt)!
Now that would earn me some serious ridicule. I am content to be mocked for my suspenders (braces) and vests. Thought I do sometimes wear sock suspenders (or whatever they are called) with cotton lisle socks that don't stay up on their own, or with older socks whose elastic has given out. If any of my co-workers ever saw those, I would never hear the end of it.

GOK

One Too Many
manton said:
I am bothered by the summer heat more than most. I find the extra straps of material from suspenders just add insulation I don't need.

Oh you poor thing. I have no experience of being too hot - here in England it rarely gets above 30 degrees; warm but not hot. I do have friends that feel the heat quite a lot and I really sympathise, even if I may not be able to empathise. I feel the cold...a lot.

Now that would earn me some serious ridicule. I am content to be mocked for my suspenders (braces) and vests. Thought I do sometimes wear sock suspenders (or whatever they are called) with cotton lisle socks that don't stay up on their own, or with older socks whose elastic has given out. If any of my co-workers ever saw those, I would never hear the end of it.

Aaah but at least you are enough of a gentleman not to subject others to seeing a few inches of bare flesh between sock and trouser leg when you are seated. I absolutely hate that - it's not nice! So good for you and your sock suspenders!

absynth

New in Town
GOK said:
Yes but I bet you look fab though! :D Are braces (suspenders) really that uncomfortable in the summer? You should try wearing a bra, stockings and suspenders (garter belt)!

......Ummm, I didn't mean that as a serious suggestion of course! lol

:eusa_clap

I never let the big yellow hurty thing in the sky get its evil clutches on my skin! Pale is good, mmmkay! The pale lippy and dark liner seems to be de rigeur amongst the more dubious elements of female society here, so quite apart from looking horrible (IMO), there are the connotations that go with it (e.g. troublemaking, ASBOs, beer monsters etc).

I find that strong perfume gives me a headache anyway, so it's doubly bad if it smells foul as well. I think one of the vilest scents I've ever smelled is Paris (closely followed by Poison). I don't know if it's particularly strong or that the wearers drown themselves in it. Either way, it makes me feel ill. Give me Chanel any day, Dahlink!

Trousers belted at the thighs or knees? Do explain! I have such a strange image in my head, which I'm sure can't be right! And what is hiney cleavage? Is it like builders' bum? Heheh!

I have to agree about staying out of the sun, with my irish complexion, I fry to a crisp in a very short amount of time. As to the trousers thing, I think that Canada Doll was just making a joke about how a good majority of young men now adays like to wear pants that are a couple of sizes to big and then they do their belt up really tight around their hips/butt as low as they possible can so that about 4 inches of their underpants hangs out the top of the pants. The "hiney cleavage" is absolutely builders' butt or plumbers butt as it is called here. Hiney is a slang term for your butt. Hope that helps!:)

Kim_B

Practically Family
I love the sun, but I son't tan on purpose, mainly because I hate dealing with pesky tan lines! (And as you can see from my avatar, I'm quite pale!!)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
GOK said:

It's called 'low riding' over here, and men will buy thier jeans several sizes too large, and belt them around their thighs and/or knees, so that they are really long and baggy, they are saved from indecent exposure charges by their T-shirts which cover them while they're standing, though not always, they do not however, cover them while they are sitting.:eek:
And yes hiney cleavage is builder's bum.

I have seen way too much in my scant 20 years of life:)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
absynth said:
I have to agree about staying out of the sun, with my irish complexion, I fry to a crisp in a very short amount of time. As to the trousers thing, I think that Canada Doll was just making a joke about how a good majority of young men now adays like to wear pants that are a couple of sizes to big and then they do their belt up really tight around their hips/butt as low as they possible can so that about 4 inches of their underpants hangs out the top of the pants. The "hiney cleavage" is absolutely builders' butt or plumbers butt as it is called here. Hiney is a slang term for your butt. Hope that helps!:)

I'm Irish too but I don't fry, I just can't pull off a tan. lol

But I'm really not joking about the trousers thing, my brother and his friends even do it!!!!:eek: One did the whole belt around the knees thing!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It's called 'low riding' over here, and men will buy thier jeans several sizes too large, and belt them around their thighs and/or knees, so that they are really long and baggy, they are saved from indecent exposure charges by their T-shirts which cover them while they're standing, though not always, they do not however, cover them while they are sitting.
And yes hiney cleavage is builder's bum.

They still do that? That was a *huge* trend here in the 90s (though some guys still wear their pants that way now, sadly.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui