Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your personal 'No-No' for makeup, hair, & wardrobe?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
No going out without make-up and perfume
No yellow gold jewellery
No ill-fitting clothing or clothing that looks past its prime
No going out with shoes that aren't polished or need re-heeling
No glitter eyeshadow or lipgloss
No wearing sweatpants or running shoes (unless in a gym - so for me never really!)
No Uggs (seriously - why do people like these?!) or other clunky footwear
No dark tan hosiery - must be sheer and almost like it's not there (love Marie Claire hosiery)

nostalgic

New in Town
HadleyH, I have one thing to say about your reply: Hammer Time! Sorry, I couldn't resist... I forgot that they were trying to reintroduce those horrible pants!

And to stay on topic, I haven't given it too much thought and am in a more eclectic fashion period right now but here it goes:
No leaving the house without blush, mascara and something approaching red on my lips
No low rise anything....ew
No empire waists: I am naturally round bellied and my waist has been hiding so I don't need to ask for the pregnancy comments
No Uggs or booties: I have large thighs and small calves, not a good look
No heels over 2 1/2 to 3 inches... I must be missing the DNA that allows me to be comfortable in heels
No messy hairdos: I don't always set my hair (less and less now that I'm growing it) but messy buns and twist thingys are just awful
Erm, I obviously have a lot more pet peeves etc than I had realized... I think I'll stop there, hahaha. Basically everything in moderation... just pay attention to the whole look and how it suits you

Lillemor

One Too Many
Nothing that ends at calf length be it boots, skirts or capris. I have heavy calves and will continue to have heavy calves even if I get my act together, the weather improves and I get some exercise.

No volume on the side of my hair which means I'm suffering an odd in between stage with my hair since I can't afford to maintain a short bob, while I wait for my hair to be at least pony-able length.;)

Shimmer, pearlescent, irredesent (sp?), slightly metallic and finally after a long resistance; also matte is all fine with me but I hate glitter in any shape or form and if it's in an eye make-up product, my eyes become irritated as hell when I try to remove the glitter product. I also just happen to think that glitter regardless of the occassion looks tacky, at least on me.

Any kind of footwear that doesn't stop either way below or way above the ankles. I'm very sensitive on the outer side of my ankles on that part of the foot I can't rememer what is called in Danish or English.:eusa_doh:

I would never ever dream of leaving my house without make-up. I've gone through "natural" stages with shades that just look like an improved version of my natural lips but I have not ever left my house without lipstick since I was 14! Now that I finally have every red and other deep shade I've been dreaming of, I just don't feel them right now so I've bought a bunch of cheap peachy/rosy/slightly nudish shades but they're still lipsticks!

Gloss is gross! I really tried to learn to love the Revlon gloss my dad sent me along with Revlon lipsticks but I'm just not feeling it, my hair keeps getting caught in it (and my hair's not ponyable!) it looks stupid to my gloss-unacustomed-eyes, and it's so messy and difficult to apply I absolutely can't understand how gloss can be anyone's go-to lip product!:eusa_doh:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I don't have many no-no's but I do have one which I have lived by for at least three years now: no jeans or trousers EVER!
It's not that I dislike them on others (except for modern low-cut ones or drain-pipe tight ones!), in fact I'd love to wear 40s wide trousers or jeans, but at the moment I don't think it's flattering for my body shape! So only swing skirts/dresses for me!

Makeup-wise: always eyeliner and mascara on the top lid (never bottom lid!). always concealer under eyes and a bit of blusher! And I'm getting better at wearing true red lipstick daily too.

Here's a question for you all! I hope it's not too off topic! How do you feel about mixing eras? Say, 40s hair with 50s makeup and dress? Plain wrong, or who cares?!

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
LinaSofia, I love the idea of only wearing swing skirts and dresses instead of pants - but how did you acquire enough to keep it varied? I haven't really found anything affordable in my local area, and of course there are things online but often the price is such that having a closet full would be hard. I think it's wonderful though, and say more power to you!

No-nos for me include:

tan pantyhose/stockings
Heels higher than 3", and usually more like 2.5' or less (can't take the stilettos anymore) :(
bras that aren't push-up (the girls ain't what they used to be)

Lillemor

One Too Many
At this time of the year I have so many skirts that I forget to use pants and jeans and I have to remind myself to use my few dresses.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
No leaving the house without lipstick.
No crew necks. I just don't like them on me.
No unpainted toenails or stockings with open-toed shoes.
No low-rise anything. My torso is long enough.
I always need bangs to even out my long face. I've tried growing my bangs out a few times and whenever I look at photos of myself without them I think, Good lord, why did I think that was a good idea?

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I can’t wear pencil skirts or anything low-rise. Straight skirts are fine, but pencil skirts and anything below my belly button exhibit my ample 'wobble-belly' and cello shaped hips - not for the faint-hearted :eeek: Boxy tops and jackets do much the same thing. Similarly I never EVER go without a girdle or um... bust support. Motherhood and breastfeeding have not been kind :eek:
I also don’t wear jeans or trousers and NEVER shorts or tracksuit bottoms, although I am warming to the idea of lounging pyjamas.
I don't wear bright pink or red eyeshadow because it makes me think of myxomatosis and browns just make me look like I've had no sleep. If I wear foundation without powder I shine like a beacon and if I don’t use rouge and I look half-dead.
I can’t wear soft, muted colours like dove-grey or tea-rose or even beige, which kills me because they are my favourite colours hands down.
I could not be paid to wear fleece tops, uggs, leggings (unless as underwear in winter), anything purple though apparently it does suit me, and footwear with either square toes or clumpy square heels. Never stockings with runs in and never uneven or chipped nails.
Wow. I never realised I was so fussy!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I never wear beige or pink eyeshadows - they seem to perfectly match and draw out my under-eye shadows and make me look like I'm wearing ill-character-in-a-play make-up.
I never leave the house without pencilling my eyebrows to at least some degree! It may even be the only scrap of make-up on my face!
I never wear modern bras.
I never wear skirts above the knee - they just don't look right on me. I can't pull off that late 50s/early 60s just-on-the-knee style - it always just looks like it doesn't fit.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I never wear dresses with a waistline that is higher than my own because it makes me look like a stump,....... a pregnant stump. (Sadly this eliminates around 99% of all of the 40's print dresses I ever try on)
I never wear knickers that haven't been ironed either.
Other than that I don't have too many hard and fast rules.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Clabbergirl, I've got an insanely big collection of swing dresses! I suppose it's a couple of years of a serious eBay addiction! :D I really recommend eBay though, there are lots of vintage and repro swing dresses that are often totally affordable. I've made some absolute steals! I VERY rarely spend over £20 on a dress. But then I suppose I spend an awful lot of time searching ebay to find the gems! A tip is also to search internationally, because most sellers will post overseas, so don't limit your search to just the states, also search europe and australia and I'm sure you'll find lots of affordable dresses!

LinaSofia, I love the idea of only wearing swing skirts and dresses instead of pants - but how did you acquire enough to keep it varied? I haven't really found anything affordable in my local area, and of course there are things online but often the price is such that having a closet full would be hard. I think it's wonderful though, and say more power to you!

No-nos for me include:

tan pantyhose/stockings
Heels higher than 3", and usually more like 2.5' or less (can't take the stilettos anymore) :(
bras that aren't push-up (the girls ain't what they used to be)

haha, my no-no is push-up bras! But that's because I am rather blessed in the boob department! Size-wise I mean. I spent years wearing minimizer bras because I thought my big boobs made me look fat! I've let that go now, thankfully, but I still don't like wearing push-up bras in case I poke someone's eye out! :D

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
Makeup:
No pale or frosty lipsticks.
No dark lipsticks like plum and burgundy.
No blue toned lipsticks.
No sparkley lip gloss.
No glitter, none at all [but a little shimmer is okay].
No brown eyeliner.

Clothing:
No yellow near my face.
No wide legged pants, they make me look 3 ft tall.
No low rise jeans.
No neon clothing.
No brown.
No shoes that show toe cleavage.
No strapless tops or dresses, I don't like my shoulders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points